3 String Cigar Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joethedrummer":inuu2y1s said:
Hi marcros,,, too right the labels give the box its identity,, and hey I need to get out more "cos I"ve just been and measured a Montecristo box and it"s just under 7mm thick sides and top,,,, but the interleaf is only 0.8 mm thick, it looks like a veneer,,
,,,,,,,,,,,joe,,,

I take it all the commas in your posts, Joe, are you counting yourself in? :wink: :lol:

well i found a suitable box today at bootfair for 50p

i thought it was suitable until i opened it
photo (41).jpg

google them :)

Steve

Attachments

• photo (41).jpg
    photo (41).jpg
    211 KB · Views: 126
It would be worth seeing if they are still smokable. Probably not because they will have dried out but they would have cost somebody a fair few quid.

Morning all,
Just had an email from Cigar box nation featuring Mctrusty teaching how to play AC/DC "back to black"on his latest CBG and it got me wondering how you guys are getting on building your CBGs.?
,,,joe,,,

I made one!
Now bear in mind I know nothing about guitars, cant play one and probably never will be able to :( but my brother does so thought I'd give it a go :)

Trawled fleabay for a while but couldnt find a suitable box at a suitable price so decided to make my own, then realised I had no suitable timber for the lid and base :roll: then spotted my old ' a quarter of' box and recycled the lid and base to make the box. machine heads etc from a local store, 'electrics' from ebay - total cost about 15 to 20 quid?

printed JD logo onto A4 placed face down on box and wipe with cheap thinners (with xylene) to transfer to lid, then a quick coat of sanding sealer.

Snapped too many strings trying to tune it (app and youtube) so I will let my brother sort that bit out. Will stick it in the post on monday to him and see if he can get a noise out of it :)

2014-06-28 11.44.26.jpg

2014-06-28 11.43.51.jpg

2014-06-28 11.45.02.jpg

2014-06-28 11.44.42.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-06-28 11.44.42.jpg
    2014-06-28 11.44.42.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 2014-06-28 11.45.02.jpg
    2014-06-28 11.45.02.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 91
  • 2014-06-28 11.43.51.jpg
    2014-06-28 11.43.51.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 2014-06-28 11.44.26.jpg
    2014-06-28 11.44.26.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 91
i decided that i could use the cigars for my daughters wedding
note ...must get a cutter
so will use the box for a guitar
just need to pick some suitable timber for the neck

Steve

SteveF":a8g0x70w said:
i decided that i could use the cigars for my daughters wedding
note ...must get a cutter
so will use the box for a guitar
just need to pick some suitable timber for the neck

Steve

A broomstick would keep it faithful to tradition but mahogany would be ok if you are wanting to get all posh!

I could have some old machine heads knocking around if anyone wants to PM me and send a SAE Jiffy bag!

Jimi

Update! It Works :shock: 8) (and as an added bonus he thought it was a genuine old JD box )

With its new stablemates ...

geetars.jpg

and for the musically interested ...

tuned to G.jpg

and if the link works .. [youtube]1dtvBNVPcNU[/youtube]

Now my brother's just got to learn to play fretless and slide :twisted:

So lets see some more CBG builds (hammer) , they are curiously satisfying :D

Attachments

• geetars.jpg
    geetars.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 81
  • tuned to G.jpg
    tuned to G.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 81
Well done Nev, that is a right result and it"s taken pride of place leaning against the amp, while the more sophisticated LP and his mate are

in front of the rad keeping warm.

( couldn"t get the video link to work, but I bet it sounds sweet. )

,,,,joe,,,,

Nev, Thanks for the dropbox , made me want to sit on the porch with a glass of JD and watch the sun go down on the Mississippi.

,,,,joe,,,,

ok i gonna drag this thread back up
i finally made a start on the cbg
first rule of woodwork
measure twice
FAIL
i have cut the box
made the neck
cut a fretboard
all nice and tight
but i think my fretboard is a few mm too low
would it be ok to put some veneers between neck and fretboard?
i only want about 2mm
or i can
a) make a thicker fretboard
b) raise the neck and find a way to hide the gap i will have in box

this is not a thru neck so only one end of box to "patch" up

i could maybe put a neck support to hide the gap
it is only a few mm but will mean a really low bridge and i have decided to go with a piezo rod under bridge
the box is quite special so would prefer to recover if i can
any thoughts ?

Steve

Do you mean the fretboard is too low to allow the strings sufficient clearance over the body? If the difference is only a couple of mm, couldn`t you just make the nut and bridge a couple of mm taller? Presuming you haven`t yet glued it up, adding a layer or two of veneer under the fretbooard wouldn`t hurt. Or play it bottleneck style, where a good clearance of the strings above the fretboard will be a plus point!

Ian

Silverbirch":rni7ir3f said:
Do you mean the fretboard is too low to allow the strings sufficient clearance over the body? If the difference is only a couple of mm, couldn`t you just make the nut and bridge a couple of mm taller? Presuming you haven`t yet glued it up, adding a layer or two of veneer under the fretbooard wouldn`t hurt. Or play it bottleneck style, where a good clearance of the strings above the fretboard will be a plus point!

Ian

yes it is a bit low for clearance
i had this mad idea of sandwich a piece of acrylic between neck and fretboard
i could use epoxy and maybe a couple of screws below fret markers
if i dont raise it ..i will end up with a really shallow bridge and may cause trouble fitting the piezo below bridge
it is doable but would restrict design a bit
if i use acrylic in 5mm it will give me freedom to adjust the bridge and nut

Steve

That should work OK. It would be in keeping with the spirit of the enterprise - improvisation and all that.
We`re not talking high class luthiery here, after all!

ian

Back