Hand morticer chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Managed to find 12 chisels to fit an 1875 Reynolds hand morticer... all for £20, and in very good condition too. Slight surface rust but here's an example of what Corro-dip is capable of. About 1 1/2 hours, warm - to -hot (microwave the fluid first) - courtesy of Jim
ch1.jpg

The chisels left and right are ex Corro-dip then a copper wire brush and some Camelia to protect and arrest any further reaction. Brilliant result.
Now then, anyone know about the fluted chisels - I have 3 and have not tried them out yet. It could be to do with chip clearance but I cannot really see how.
ch2.jpg

And a couple of them came from the right place, about the right time
ch3.jpg

I was delighted to find a set of chisels as that could have been a big limitation with my machine which came with just one fitted. These things must be quite rare??!
Gives me the impetus to plan a subtle restoration now.
Any ideas about the fluted ones please??

Attachments

• ch1.jpg
    ch1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,319
  • ch2.jpg
    ch2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,319
  • ch3.jpg
    ch3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,319
I think the fluting is for cutting the fibres before the main edge hit...that's my take on it having handled them.

You were extremely lucky finding so many to fit that old machine and even luckier finding them so cheaply! =D>

For the work you do with "larger" stock...I would put this thing to good use...I just know you will use it over and over again.

Bring the rest over and I will dip the lot if you want...in payment for your fettling my Buck and Ryans and the lovely Sorby paring chisel.

Cheers

Jim

The lipping to the rear arris of each bit is indeed intended to trim the sides as you progressively trench each mortise and helps reduce tear out/roughening of the mortise cheeks. Waxing the bits helps reduce drag during use. :wink:

Thanks indeed Gary - I am very close to getting one of them in the machine and giving it a try. For waxing, my old trusty candle? Not let me down yet!

[edit] and jim, deal. The Sorby parer is fantastic. I shall return it when I am ready, but it does need a tads more of a tune yet (honest).

condeesteso said:
I was delighted to find a set of chisels as that could have been a big limitation with my machine which came with just one fitted. These things must be quite rare??!quote]

Another one on that auction site ATM.
chris

Aha - maybe not quite so rare then! I assume the 4 at £18? happy I have enough for now anyway, slowly working through them sharpening etc.

there is another morticer too- "with 7 chisels, 4 that fit and 3 that dont!"

I know (in old catalogues) there are "issues" with mortiser/chisels.

1) All the fittings were different. The catalogues say stuff like "please specify taper to be sent" or "send sample chisel for precise matching", or "these chisels only fit the mortisers we sell"

2) To handle the two ends of a mortise, the chisel is reversed. Given the emphasis placed (in some adverts) on this particular morticer reversing "exactly" I assume that inaccurate reversing was a common issue.

BugBear

Yes, interesting in the 12 I found, one has a very slightly different taper - enough for it to not fit of course. Morse had a fairly good idea I think.
On my Reynolds the reverse is accurate I would say, but another issue obviously is fitting the chisel square - easy to do but easy to overlook maybe.
I gather from Jim there's a thread here with a video of women knocking out wartime rifle butts on a hand morticer... can't find it but need to. I think they are really very useable. Quick to set up, quiet, and capable of very clean work I think.

my reverse seems accurate enough from what I have tried. I see that you have located the "wood goes to war" thread, but for anybody else it is linked below

wood-goes-to-war-t62198.html

bugbear- probably enough info there for me not to bother chasing any more chisels for mine!

Back