Hand Tool Idents.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Post in turning section needs some input.

post611418.html
P8250192[1].JPG
P8250193[1].JPG

Attachments

• P8250192[1].JPG
    P8250192[1].JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 952
  • P8250193[1].JPG
    P8250193[1].JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 952
Bottom 2 are pick stickers

Top right is an unhandled firmer chisel. The rest in the top pic are gouges for woodcarving ect. Not sure on the other 2

the bayonet that goes on a lee enfield SMLE rifle was nicknamed the pig sticker. this is just a rod with a point on the end, unlike the german bayonets that where more sword shaped. and i believe, in the training running up to the great war the tommies used to practice bayonet thrusting and fighting on pig carcasses.

adidat

The annoying thing with old mortise chisels is they're always out of shape and each side needs to be lapped. Anyone have a fast way of doing this without making them unusable in the process

My Lord Chas!!

You have some fettling to do there mate! I thought I was bad getting bootfair chisels and doing them up but you've set yourself a major task there mate!

Still...the steel should be great...as long as you don't have too much pitting near the edge...

Post some pictures when you are finished!

Cheers

Jimi

jimi43":1c8r8z9v said:
My Lord Chas!!

You have some fettling to do there mate! Jimi

Not mine Jim, just trying to get the descriptive terminology correct and make sure that a budding turner knew the difference between flat worlders tools and those strong enough to be safe at 26 ft per. min. or greater.

CHJ":1wogrfgw said:
jimi43":1wogrfgw said:
My Lord Chas!!

You have some fettling to do there mate! Jimi

Not mine Jim, just trying to get the descriptive terminology correct and make sure that a budding turner knew the difference between flat worlders tools and those strong enough to be safe at 26 ft per. min. or greater.

Ah! I somehow thought not...but thought maybe you had been converted! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In compensation for my faux pas...I have left a suitable post on said thread....

Cheers

Jim

LuptonM":1zs9qk03 said:
The annoying thing with old mortise chisels is they're always out of shape and each side needs to be lapped. Anyone have a fast way of doing this without making them unusable in the process

Never had enough of 'em for it to be a problem.

Now, rust and pitting on the back of a 3/16" OBMC (see Alf's post) IS a problem.

BugBear

jimi43":j9mczd7d said:
Ah! I somehow thought not...but thought maybe you had been converted! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Afraid the conversion went the other way, although my humble workers are still in the shed and get used occasionally, in fact only this morning thought to myself how good a marples plastic handled (red and clear plastic) Chisel was holding its edge when repairing a stool for a neighbor.
It was purchased in 1966-7 when I was making the windows and front bi-folding electrically driven doors for my garage and has suffered no end of abuse in it's life.
Tewkesbury3.jpg

I think I remember the guy with the kids.

Found another one to show they were made the 'right' way :lol:
APP0011.jpg

Attachments

• Tewkesbury3.jpg
    Tewkesbury3.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 724
  • APP0011.jpg
    APP0011.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 714
Back