Finding grandfather's tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've inherited some nice hand tools from my grandfather but understand that he had more. A very, very long shot in the dark but has anyone got any tools stamped 'H.E. Hubbard' ?

My brother in law is a Hubbard and I don't think I've seen any marked with that name.
But, this will now stick even more firmly in my mind and if ought pops up as I look through my collection I'll let you know.
Might you be up for showing us a few or at least his imprint please?
Cheers, Andy

I've inherited some nice hand tools from my grandfather but understand that he had more. A very, very long shot in the dark but has anyone got any tools stamped 'H.E. Hubbard' ?
Is it a manufacturer's stamp or an owner's name? I've got lots of my grandfather's wooden tools, planes mainly, which are stamped with his name.
Brian

Is it a manufacturer's stamp or an owner's name? I've got lots of my grandfather's wooden tools, planes mainly, which are stamped with his name.
Brian

I have the same on some of my Grandfather's tools, usually his initials....

However, I believe there was a hand tool company back in the day called " Hubbard " and I think they made Bricklaying tools, hammers etc...?? They may have been an American company...?

Last edited:
Brian
Definitely the owners name which was Horace Edward Hubbard. Many of the tools also bear a makers name, but lots of them also have the names of previous owners. My father told me that if someone died it was common for his tools to be sold off to workmates so the proceeds could go to the widow.

I have the same on some of my Grandfather's tools, usually his initials....

However, I believe there was a hand tool company back in the day called " Hubbard " and I think they made Bricklaying tools, hammers etc...?? They may have been an American company...?
Interesting. Many of the tools do have the makers name on them, but mainly people like Sorby. Never come across a tool made by a Hubbard, apart from some of the wooden planes which I suspect Grandfather may have made himself as was common back in the day...

My brother in law is a Hubbard and I don't think I've seen any marked with that name.
But, this will now stick even more firmly in my mind and if ought pops up as I look through my collection I'll let you know.
Might you be up for showing us a few or at least his imprint please?
Cheers, Andy
A couple of moulding planes, the end of the plough plane with interchangeable cutters, his set of try/framing squares (the big wooden one would have been made by him) and a couple of chisels (the 1/4" worn down to the stub!) and his pocket rule (inches only of course!).

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    442.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    480.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    529.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    513.3 KB · Views: 0
Definitely the owners name which was Horace Edward Hubbard. Many of the tools also bear a makers name, but lots of them also have the names of previous owners. My father told me that if someone died it was common for his tools to be sold off to workmates so the proceeds could go to the widow.
Thanks for clarifying. It certainly is a long shot.

A couple of moulding planes, the end of the plough plane with interchangeable cutters, his set of try/framing squares (the big wooden one would have been made by him) and a couple of chisels (the 1/4" worn down to the stub!) and his pocket rule (inches only of course!).
Thank you for taking the time to post up the pictures .
Nice, good to see them.
Thanks

I have a few of my grandfathers tools. I was living in Canada when he died so wasn’t involved in clearing out his workshop. My Dad ship the few tools I have to me but the bulk of his tools were donated to the rural life museum in Glastonbury. I’ve been a couple of time but never seen a tool with his stamp, or his fathers, stamp on them. I often wonder what happened to them. I have very fond memories of his workshop, the row of H&Rs on the shelf, a whole army of hand planes and the smell of French polish. I have a couple of saws, a 55 some marking gauges and some chisels so the memories live on.

Latest posts

Back