Holly cow i made a picnic table!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creampuff

Established Member
Reaction score
Well its taken me a while!!! but here is a picnic table I made for my sister

The wood came from a multi storey car park that was being Demolished so, as i'm sure you can imagine was in a bit of a state when it came into my gruby little mits!

20110813102317.jpg

The timber came in 13' lengths with bolt holes every 4' ish, which isnt too bad as all i had to do was line up the holes as best as i could, and Hey presto no need to drill bolt holes for the top!!

Then after spending a whole 8hr day cutting and plaining the timber I was pretty suprised at how clean it came up, a few cracks here and there but hey I'm sure it'll look alot worse once my sisters pets start wearing it in :roll:

20110813102348.jpg

20110710143820.jpg

All in all its cost about £40 for the fixings and the finish, and then 2 days from start to finish to build and finish it.

20110815153851.jpg

20110820124340.jpg

Now my only problem is have to build another 6 :shock: all for people that saw me building it at work, so all things considered I think they must be pretty good for a bodger!

Hope you enjoy

Andy

Really like the comfortable looking design - too many tables and benches have sharp, squares ends. Great use of reclaimed timber, too. What did you finish it with? Looks like an oil of some kind?

That's beautiful, and for £40!! I need to raid some more skips - with the owner's consent of course!

Mark

OPJ":3sgjuegb said:
Really like the comfortable looking design - too many tables and benches have sharp, squares ends. Great use of reclaimed timber, too. What did you finish it with? Looks like an oil of some kind?

My sister wanted a clear finish so i used Liberon Garden furniture oil, 2 coats with a light sanding with 240grit in between coats.
It does really bring out the different colours in the timber.

Thanks for the kind remarks after a couple of years butchering wood, it looks like all the advice i'v recieved through this forum is finaly paying off :lol:

Andy

That really is a nice table Andy. It does look comfortable and is much better with the rounded ends, congratulations. :D

Ohhh... that's beautiful! well done!

I might go and round off the edges of my cheap & nasty B&Q picnic table now...

A very nice job!

I fell off one of those type things, at Cromford last week. The silly clods had set it up on a steep, grassy slope. I did sit 'up-slope', but they had also painted the whole thing with some 'black-claggy' stuff, and the seats were slippery... Being obese, I bounced! Got stuck under the top!

Your effort looks great but I think my ample proportions wouldn't fit 'tween seat and table.
When I come to tea, can I bring a seat and sit at the head of the table?

John :D

Benchwayze":vr79i51z said:
A very nice job!

I fell off one of those type things, at Cromford last week. The silly clods had set it up on a steep, grassy slope. I did sit 'up-slope', but they had also painted the whole thing with some 'black-claggy' stuff, and the seats were slippery... Being obese, I bounced! Got stuck under the top!

Your effort looks great but I think my ample proportions wouldn't fit 'tween seat and table.

Ofcourse you can sir :lol:
A good friend of mine weighing in at 22 stonne tried it out for size a few days ago and i'm proud to say it didn't even flinch, he now wants one as well.... that makes 7 more i need to make :shock:

Me thinks i may need to invest in a pair of new planer blades!!

Many thanks for all the kind comments

Andy

Creampuff":22qciche said:
Benchwayze":22qciche said:
A very nice job!

Ofcourse you can sir :lol:
A good friend of mine weighing in at 22 stonne tried it out for size a few days ago and i'm proud to say it didn't even flinch, he now wants one as well.... that makes 7 more i need to make :shock:

Me thinks i may need to invest in a pair of new planer blades!!

Many thanks for all the kind comments

Andy

Thanks Andy. I am pushing 20 stones myself, so I would feel safe. (Will you please not tempt me with any starchy or sugary food! :lol: :lol: Just stacks of saturated fatty foods, kippers and salmon will do me fine! (I will fall by the wayside for a beer mind!) :lol:

Again. Nice Job... I am almost finished a picnic table and benches myself. I'll try to post some pics. (No WIP I fear! I can't work that way, as my limited attention span needs to be kept on the work!)

Cheers

That looks stunning now wonder you have plenty of orders
I think you will need more timber as well as the blades :lol:
Well done and keep up the good work
Dave

Creampuff":21yv9z3l said:
My sister wanted a clear finish so i used Liberon Garden furniture oil, 2 coats with a light sanding with 240grit in between coats.
I've almost finished sanding a garden bench I've designed and built myself, and you've inspired me to copy your use of that oil to finish it. I assume its OK to use on pine?

The design and construction of it is is pretty basic, but I like it. I'll post a thread when it's complete. thanks. :D

I am not too impressed with the Liberon Oil - it did not seem to last too long on my garden stuff.
Have used Osmo UV protection oil this year which I had heard good reports about.

Rod

Andy, nice table. I am planing one at the moment to make over the winter for next year (that is what I said last year as well :oops:

Do you have any photos from underneath showing how you attached the diagonal braces to the table top?

Andy

alan2001":ak4i5d0o said:
Creampuff":ak4i5d0o said:
I've almost finished sanding a garden bench I've designed and built myself, and you've inspired me to copy your use of that oil to finish it. I assume its OK to use on pine?

The design and construction of it is is pretty basic, but I like it. I'll post a thread when it's complete. thanks. :D

Hi Alan

I'd recommend at least 2 coats on all pieces, and three on the top and seats and it really does give a good looking finish, how long it lasts is an unknown at this point, I'll have to wait till next year and see how it looks.
Perfectly ok to use it on pine as thats what mine is made out of.
Hope you get as much enjoyment finishing it as i did mine, Its always the best bit for me when you finally see all the lovely colours and patterns that appear.

Good luck with yours.

Andy

dedee":39yqalh4 said:
Andy, nice table. I am planing one at the moment to make over the winter for next year (that is what I said last year as well :oops:

Do you have any photos from underneath showing how you attached the diagonal braces to the table top?

Andy

Sorry Andy I didnt take any picks of the underside.

Dead centre on the underside of the top I put a 4" x 26" bracer screwed to the table from the underside, Either side of that I put and angled brace going from one side of the centre brace too the centre of the seat support strut.

I am hopefully going to have time to build another one next week, so will do my best to get some pics taken to explain a little better.

Regards

Andy

Creampuff":31ia1us2 said:
Hi Alan

I'd recommend at least 2 coats on all pieces, and three on the top and seats and it really does give a good looking finish, how long it lasts is an unknown at this point, I'll have to wait till next year and see how it looks.
Perfectly ok to use it on pine as thats what mine is made out of.
Hope you get as much enjoyment finishing it as i did mine, Its always the best bit for me when you finally see all the lovely colours and patterns that appear.

Good luck with yours.
Thanks for the great advice Andy. But I have some follow up questions via the wife, if you don't mind? :p

How come there are so many different shades if you used the same timber and oil finish? I was thinking it was all the same type of timber? Is that just caused by age & weathering differences?

AND - how come the lower horizontal supports (i.e. where the seat slats are bolted to?) are so pale compared to the rest of the bench? My own garden bench is very pale pine, but I love the darker tones you've achieved.

20110820124340.jpg

I'd like to use an oil that darkens the wood slightly, but will still show the rather beautiful grain pattern.

Finishing is my most hated part of the job. I know that's down to lack of experience and patience though! If I can get it looking anywhere nice as your one I'm sure I'll get much more into it.

Thanks for your advice and patience, it really helps. Maybe I'll get my bench finished this year now. :roll:

Back