New Irwin Record Handplanes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The QS planes are nice, but you don't get a guaranteed
flatness tolerance which you do get when you but LV, Clifton or LN.

No real specifications for tolerances so it's a gamble for people
that do not have the skills to tune a plane.

LV,Clifton and LN are flat within 3 thou I believe.

For those that have precision tools and know how to tune
a plane, the QS can be made to work as good and even better
than a LN, Clifton out of the box with a couple of hours of tuning.

Ali

I have seen some of the newer record planes when apprentices have bought them at firms I have worked for and they are shocking alot worse than the stanley ones which are not too good either.

I had a 3, 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 when I was an apprentice in the 80's and have replaced them with older ones over the years and although I had a bit of fettling to do the difference between them was huge.

If you are buying a second hand one try to get one that was made before the 70's and you should have no probs providing you are prepared to tidy it up.

Tom

That's a 3 thou feeler unable to get even close to getting under my Quangsheng No 6 (I'd snapped the 1.5 but I doubt if that would have made it either.

046.jpg

I understand the logic of choosing a plane that one can use comfortably and with adequate control. I also understand that technically you could flatten any length of wood with a No. 1 plane, a straight edge and enough time and patience.

However, I wonder if the lengths (no. 6, 7 or 8) were chosen by the Wise Old Ones for some other reason, namely these are the lengths found to most effectively flatten wood that is at least such-and-such long. Would it make sense that if you had a plane that was longer than the piece of work you're working on, the plane sole would always be in register with the wood and so be the most efficient way to flatten it?

Back on topic, I can vouch for the QS planes being very flat and square as determine by eye using a straight edge and square. Also, see Matthew's latest video of a QS No. 6;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUVzviBjCs

Granted, he has a vested interest in this, but I trust him completely.

Modernist":2wscj76w said:
That's a 3 thou feeler unable to get even close to getting under my Quangsheng No 6 (I'd snapped the 1.5 but I doubt if that would have made it either.

046.jpg

Looks good! I have the same plane(with those painted handles :?: ). The sole
was nice flat in the beginning, but did slightly change after a few months
of use. Offtopic, the handles should be made a a bit larger IMHO. I don't
have big hands, but still find the handles small.

For beginners though, the fact that there is no guarantueed tolerances with the
QS planes(at least I don't know of them), the LV,Clifton and LN with their
guarantueed flatness might be a better choice.

BUT these are at least twice as expensive and almost 3 times with the LN
compared to the QS.

A beginner will probably read on internet about flattening the sole with
floatglass and try this. Results will probably be even worse.

Offtopic again:I wish these(all brands) planes would be made completely out of stainless steel. I just hate the rust.

Ali

It occurs to me we've failed to lob the Veritas #6 into the jointer discussion - which has the body of an elegant lady's #6, but the effective flattening ability of a man-sized #7, owing to the position of the mouth being further back. So now I've lobbed it in.

Well lobbed Alf. As you know I am a great fan of Veritas and have several examples in the armoury but I just don't like the looks of the bench plane range with that strange triangular lever cap. I've never tried the No 6 but it appears to have the same problem as the Quangsheng in that you cannot reach the adjuster whilst planing.

Ok I give in! I have now fallen off the cliff (no pun intended) and will be off to workshop heaven for the Clifton.

You can all breath out slowly and wait for the new arrival......

Modernist":2mklctef said:
Well lobbed Alf. As you know I am a great fan of Veritas and have several examples in the armoury but I just don't like the looks of the bench plane range with that strange triangular lever cap. I've never tried the No 6 but it appears to have the same problem as the Quangsheng in that you cannot reach the adjuster whilst planing.
Yes, I have problems getting past their looks too, but I just refreshed my memory of when I reviewed them and despite that I really liked their #6. I'd forgotten. But you're right, the Norris style adjuster on them is not adjustable on the fly. Interesting you should say that about the Quangsheng though; I hadn't realised the rear tote was set so far back on the #6.

Mark, well thank goodness you haven't left us with a cliffhanger... :D

Alf":1zwnfqze said:
the Norris style adjuster on them is not adjustable on the fly. Interesting you should say that about the Quangsheng though; I hadn't realised the rear tote was set so far back on the #6.

I think it is more of a problem than just the inconvenience of adjustment on the QS. I find the tote position upsets the handling of the plane in use as the point of effort is too far behind the blade and this alters the "feel" of the operation. I have no idea why they scored this own goal since there were 100's of years history to refer to. I did moan about this to Matthew after I bought it but it was new to him at that time. As ever I suppose most people might not find this a problem but I do. I also suspect it may be heavier than my 1946 Stanley No 7 (bought as a wedding present for my Dad by my Mum - true love or what?)- I'll check.

markh":1gu8e4a8 said:
Ok I give in! I have now fallen off the cliff (no pun intended) and will be off to workshop heaven for the Clifton.
Well done that man!

markh":1gu8e4a8 said:
Now if you need a hand to change its nappies, or feed it in the middle of the night, I'd luv to come round and help out (only I'm a bit far away...)

Cheers, Vann.

markh":3ifn2du2 said:
You certainly won't regret buying from Workshop Heaven - Matthew is a real upstanding bloke, he gives fantastic service! Looking forward to some gloat pictures :)

markh":2l6wc2qm said:

Best example of going from the ridiculous to the sublime I have ever seen!

You will never regret it!

A nice secondhand Record 5 1/2 will be a good other choice now you are probably out of squids on the Cliffie!

Jim

I have bought quite a number of old Record and Stanley planes on e-bay including a couple of 7s and an 8.

It is my experience that the jointer planes come in a far better condition than smoothers and jacks possibly because they were more likely to be owned by serious woodworkers and treasured. After all they cost the equivalent of todays Clifton and L-N planes in their day. They also are more likely to have been flattened - mine have required certainly no more effort than their smaller cousins on the float glass and abrasives. However, I have had one dud No.6.

I look principally for Records with the pre-war characteristics of a blade with a straight top and angled sides (google "record hand planes dating").

I like an earlier response enjoy the refurbishing process on a good find.

All the best
Richard

warrenr":3pkz6tfz said:
It is my experience that the jointer planes come in a far better condition than smoothers and jacks possibly because they were more likely to be owned by serious woodworkers and treasured.

I think they're simply used less, and only for a "precision" process. The only two planes that get "hard yakka" are the #4 and #5. Since these are the commonest, it's easy to assume that hard use is the norm.

To ramble on a little, since moulding plane blades are a pain to sharpen, worker were always careful to remove as much waste as possible (with ploughs and rebates) prior to final use of the moulder. Further, since it's common to have a range of moulding planes, any individual moulding plane is only used for a small proportion of the time.

The upshot of this is that wear on moulding planes occurs very slowly, and it's surprisingly common to find 18th c moulding planes in good condition - good enough that you'd never guess their age from their condition.

BugBear

It's arrived!

What a difference - you guys were spot on. The Cilfton is on a different planet to Irwin Record. Even the box is a bit special. As for the plane, just beautiful. Everything is high quality, well finished and looks like it will be handed down a few generations and still look fantastic.

I have yet to try it out ( too much going on at the moment!) but I will report back with photos etc when I get time.

No regrets so far - thanks for the final shove in the right direction!

markh":10hnq0m9 said:
It's arrived!

What a difference - you guys were spot on. The Cilfton is on a different planet to Irwin Record. Even the box is a bit special. As for the plane, just beautiful. Everything is high quality, well finished and looks like it will be handed down a few generations and still look fantastic.

I have yet to try it out ( too much going on at the moment!) but I will report back with photos etc when I get time.

No regrets so far - thanks for the final shove in the right direction!

Now you KNOW that it ain't arrived until we get the pictures....so come on....we're waiting anxiously! :mrgreen:

It is so nice to watch the reaction when people realise the difference...which must be huge if you started with an Irwin!

Use it in happiness...it will serve you well.

Now all you need is a No.7....a No.6....one of them Anniversary ones...a spokeshave...and a....... 8)

Jim

At last, some pictures for those of you who are still hanging on.........

It's a thing of beauty and I am grateful to you all for showing me the way!

DSCN6264.JPG
DSCN6268.JPG

Even opening the parcel is an experience on its own - just look at the box! The whole product exudes quality and the attention to detail is phenomenal. Every part is made of top quality materials and beautifully hand finished. It is heavy duty - the plane iron is thicker than normal, there is no backlash in the adjuster, the enamelling is immaculate..... I could go on but some of at the back are starting to yawn.

You could say I like it.

Oh, and it cuts too...... like no other plane I have had the pleasure of using. I thought it could not be worth paying nearly 3 times the price of an Irwin Record. I was wrong on all counts and will now retire to the workshop for 50 lashes.

The only trouble is, buying the Clifton No.7 was far too easy. All I did was type some numbers into my computer and I nice man knocked on my door a few days later with a very heavy box. Might just take a look at the No.5. I said LOOK. I don't have to buy it..............

Attachments

• DSCN6264.JPG
    DSCN6264.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • DSCN6268.JPG
    DSCN6268.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 1,006
Go on - its looking at you funny! Its daring you to click "Add to cart" - you know it is!

Oh dear...what HAVE we done....pushing you from the nursery slopes to the BLACK RUN in one shove! :mrgreen:

You do realise that forums are not accepted by a court of law as co-respondents in divorces you know! :wink:

Seriously...that is so beauiful and I can actually feel the pride though your words oozing out of the screen!

Why not make it a "collective present event" from all your friends and relatives each birthday and Christmas?

If you now don't have any you can always treat yourself!

NOW....get ye out unto the yonder shed and make some fine shavings... :mrgreen: =D>

Hearty congratulations!

Jim

Back