Metal detector for recycling timber - recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I have quite a bit of stock to prepare, and although I am usually very careful, a visual check isn't really enough - I have several sets of p/t knives, but still want to avoid damage if I can, bandsaw blades likewise.

I need something good enough to find bits of tack (from laths) left inside 3x2s, etc. The ability to find pipes and cables in walls would be nice to have but isn't essential in this case.

I'll spend what it takes within reason, but performance wins over gizmology. Physical size isn't too important, either, as I realise that detector coil size relates to sensitivity.

Thanks for any recommendations.

E.

I've got a Little Wizard metal detector from Rutlands, its got variable sensitivity and can find bits of metal below the surface easily. Never used it for cables and pipes, I've got a Stanley detector for that.

I was pondering whether or not to post my expierences on the two that I have used.
The one I have that has worked without issues is a second hand ebay wand for security checks.
It is this Adams one I got for around twenty quid
Adams.jpg

And the other one I am using right now (with new battery) is a LIDL powerfix cable and metal finder
I cant get a pic on google of it, as they have a newer one now for sale.
It is definatly not as good as the security wand, and I will have to scan the timbers again with it when I get around to it.
Also, the thing is quite easy to mistakenly scan with the device upside down/backwards, as it is just a plain rectangle with the button on the side placed in the middle.
Not the safest thing for a cable detector #-o
I don't think I can give you much more info, all I can say is I've ran by visable nails in timbers with the carpy one without detection, and never experienced that with the Adams one.
Tom

Attachments

• Adams.jpg
    Adams.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 287
Back