Which vice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get decent vices for decent prices on eBay, if you spend a bit of time hunting and watching.
The Record 52 and 52½ are firm favourites, as is the massive Record 53.
You'll find even better prices if you don't mind stripping them down and scrubbing them up a bit.

If you want new, the one Sellers advocates is probably quite reasonable. He also has a number of other recommendations in his blog, including those I mentioned and how to refurb them.

Do you need the width or the opening or the strength?

If it's mainly the width any decent vice can have its width increased quite significantly (50mm each side is no problem) by mounting wider jaws, without undue stress on the mechanism. If the vice is found to be prone to excess racking when clamping off to one side there are various designs of spacer appliance which will solve that.

If you're not set on buying right now going vintage has always been the no. 1 recommendation here and for good reason. Quite apart from the savings you can virtually guarantee you're getting a better vice. In addition to better quality of cast iron and superior casting control, the parts are usually thicker and/or have stronger webs. Incidentally this used to be Paul Seller's opinion too, before he got sponsored.

Deffo worth looking on Gumtree as well as eBay if you decide to go the vintage route, there are always vices up and prices are usually at the cheaper end. And unlike on ebay you can give it a proper once-over before handing over your money. I just got a vice on our equivalent of Gumtree for less than £20 that came out of a garage workshop, although a bit beat up on the outside (plus mandatory paint spatters) mechanically it's basically new, I could have given it one squirt of 3-in-One, a wipe over with an oily rag and put it immediately to work.

ED65":8i4dc9dn said:
Incidentally this used to be Paul Seller's opinion too, before he got sponsored.
When did this happen? Who sponsors him, then?
He's always been quite keen on waving his lack of sponsorship around, I thought?

Not sure but some time after his October 2013 post, "On Record Vises – Old Quick-release Are Still Best" :)

I don't have any real requirements on it to be honest. I just want something big that I won't have to upgrade. The one I have now is tiny.

As said- keep an eye locally. Gumtree, small ads etc. - the shipping costs are prohibitive so it tends to limit what they'll fetch. I saw the largest plain screw Record, old not round boss. and perfectly clean for £20 - the guy couldn't sell it. The tool guy in the market near me has a nice 53QR for £55, but again the shipping is prohibitive.

Not exactly cheap and maybe not for everyone, but i’ve found the Veritas twin screw vice absolutely brilliant!! Very versatile with plenty of capacity (I also went for the widening upgrade, so have a capacity between screws of around 600mm). Not had any problems at all in the nearly 3 years i’ve had it.

As a bit of a Record vice nerd I'd be the last person to try and put someone off buying a vintage one, but it is worth noting that the better models are now all well over 50 years old and some of them have had a hard life.

If you do go for a vintage one then it is good advice to take a look in person if at all possible. Although many people on this forum have found that a quick clean is all that is needed to get the older ones working well there are occasional reports of cracked castings, worn threads etc.

If you prefer peace of mind then the modern copies, although not as well finished, should work perfectly adequately (and can be returned if not).

I have a Record 52 I think it is, that's collecting dust. I bought it for a workbench build that I decided against. Needed a good clean when I bought it two years ago, still needs a good clean now...

I've heard the York vices that workshop heaven supply are pretty much the equivalent quality of the old record vices and are very good for the money and exceed anything else in the price bracket.

The Eclipse/Spear & Jackson vice does look decent in user pics (can't trust the product pics to be representative!) but here's what gives me pause:

DYGw1BQ.jpg

Trevanion":auo1bia7 said:
I've heard the York vices that workshop heaven supply are pretty much the equivalent quality of the old record vices and are very good for the money and exceed anything else in the price bracket.

so far as I can tell from looking at the pics of the York vices, they do not use the same quick release mechanism as Record.

You turn the handle counter clockwise to release the York vices and use a trigger near the handle for Record (and copies). Woden used a similar mechanism at some point.

ED65":3ip55g2n said:
Not sure but some time after his October 2013 post, "On Record Vises – Old Quick-release Are Still Best" :)
I read that post. In the comments below, people were remarking on how scarce/expensive old vices were becoming and started asking about new models. He mentioned the Eclipse vices at that point, though stated he didn't know if they were "still any good"... which suggests that they used to be good at some point.
A couple of years later, with the new bench build series, he's featuring the brand new Spear & Jackson 9" Eclipse, as it works well (in his opinion), costs less than £100... sometimes much less, if you shop around. But most importantly, is widely available in both the UK and US.

Granted, he also showed off an S&J skewback saw on the basis that, unusually for a cheap modern saw, it could be resharpened in the traditional way. I don't see him use it that often, though and he doesn't mention it outside of that one sharpening video. But he does sometimes highlight various current/modern/new products and brands that produce good kit, about as often as he slams others (like Bahco saw files vs Bahco sliding bevels), but without seeming beholden to brand enslavement like Rob Cosman™, or more reasonably just sponsored like Matt Estlea. You rarely get Sellers mentioning brand names or showcasing modern kit, and when he does it's not usually the big names you'd expect. Veritas on occasion, perhaps...

On that basis, I'd say that he's either not actually sponsored by anyone, or he's really, REALLY rubbish at remembering to mention the company and place the product!!

So in conclusion, if old vices aren't cutting it for you for some reason, the Eclipse so far seems like a solid choice to purchase new.

Back