Gyro air 700

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been considering a better dust system for my workshop and maybe doing proper ducting etc,
So looking at dust extractors and things. I currently have a record dx5000 which is good but old and a bit of a pain for various reasons.

I really like the look of the Gyro air 700 for its form factor and fine dust filtration which look good, it looks easy to use and clean up the filters etc.
So I went to the Harvey website to see what it would cost. It is listed as $2549 usd which is currently £1879.03 (obviously plus vat @20% so £2254.83 ) I thought, that looks pretty reasonable in comparison to other options that tackle fine dust.
So wondering about the shipping cost to me I went to the checkout to calculate cost of delivery.
They wont let you do it.
So calculated the personal import from china with $300 dollar shipping ( estimated slow boat method ) and $100 insurance. The total inc Vat was £ 2608.

I googled gyro air uk and axminster are the seller here who have it for £3799.68, this does look a little extreme.

So if I am in the US or Canada I can have one for £2254 inc vat but here it is £3799 and I can`t buy direct from Harvey if in uk.

Quite annoying.

Ollie

Actually not as cheap as you think over here. $4245US from Rockler plus $500 shipping and handling for the 'mericans. To me they estimate it to be $5,714 Can. For that kind of money I can get a Clear Vue Max and still have a couple grand for ducting.

Pete

That figure does not include Import Duty which will also be due and could amount to anything between 15% and 25%

Yes, this is the case, the calculator I used normally calculates it but for some reason wouldnt do it, I have searched using comodity code hs 8465 (machine tools wood) but to no avail. Still £ 2608 + 25% is still £3260.

Does anyone recommend a good system for chips and fine dust that competes with the gyro air ?
Not sure we get clearview here , maybe oneida from toolovation ?

Ollie

If I were looking for an industrial extraction unit I would be looking at the commercial auction sites (Bidspotter and BPI are the 2 that I follow). Seems like every week there's another woodworking business closing down (sadly) and there's always some serious extraction kit going for a fraction of the new cost.

pcb1962, you are probably right, I am not really after a huge monstrosity with 5 bags though, I just don`t have room for it.
Thats why I quite liked the gyro air as its pretty small and low profile enough to go under something.
I will certainly check out those auctions you mention. Might end up with something bigger and try to move it upstairs or something.

Cheers

Ollie

I looked at the Gyro at one of the exhibitions, lovely bit of kit but the waste collection bin seemed very small considering the cost. I think it only held about 100 litres of wood shavings, a PT would fill it very quickly.

Latest posts

Back