Supplier of quality brass hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a supplier of good quality 2 inch brass butt hinges for cabinet doors. I am looking for the properly swaged ones which taper in thickness from the hinge pin out to the side of the leaf

Thanks
Ian

I was surprised at the quality of the all brass hinges I bought from Screwfix. I was using smallish ones for small boxes but I was very pleasantly surprised at the build quality. Can’t remember if the leaves tapered though, I suspect not. If you look on their online catalogue, be aware that they use the same photo for all sizes, so what you see isn’t exactly what you get. Good luck with your search.

The best quality hinges I have found bear the name Simonswerk. Definitely not of Chinese origin. Expensive but very good.

Thanks for the replies. Ordered simonswerk 50mm from Isaac Lord. I have got some from screwfix but just wanted something a bit better
Thanks again
Ian

Just a couple of photos to show the difference between cheap as on the left, screwfix middle which I thought were petty OK for a lot of jobs and Simonswerk on right which were significantly thicker brass but the hinge was slightly loose compared with screwfix. Price about £1 £2 and £4 a pair. Then again if you have spent £500 and a lot of time the extra seamed well worth it

Attachments

• Hingesendview.jpg
    Hingesendview.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 115
  • hinges.jpg
    hinges.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 114
that definitely puts things into perspective, you can clearly see the difference

Hornbeam":14furndb said:
I am looking for the properly swaged ones which taper in thickness from the hinge pin out to the side of the leaf

"Swaged" is a term that's become fairly loose, and I regularly hear people using it to mean completely different things. However, I've never heard swaging to mean a hinge with tapered leaves, in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen a hinge with tapered leaves.

The "standard" cabinet butt hinge (the type shown in your photo later on in the thread) is what I call an "unswaged hinge", one of my concerns with these is this; if you have a relatively thick knuckle and relatively thin leaves then there's a big gap when the leaves are parallel. This matters because, unless you sink the hinge leaves below the surface or cut complicated angled hinge mortices, then that gap will effectively become the gap all around your cabinet doors. On many hinges that gap can be in the 2-2.5mm range, where as I prefer a 1mm gap, with 1.5mm being the absolute limit. To get that tighter, neater gap you really need butt hinges with far thicker leaves.

I've often bought hinges from Horton Brasses in the USA for just this reason, so I was delighted to see Percy Snodgrass's post, which seemed to show a UK distributor for Horton's butt hinges. I'll certainly be following that up. The irony previously was that Horton sourced many of their best hinges from British foundries, but they set a far higher spec than anyone else. So I was in the daft position of buying a British hinge that had been shipped to the US, and then having to pay to have it shipped back here!

Swaged hinges are hinges where there's a manufactured kink in the leaves, which means the leaves can lay flat against each other. You get half swaged and full swaged hinges, but rightly or wrongly I associate them with larger joinery hinges rather than cabinet hinges.

Hinges generally seem to be drifting ever down in quality as more people appear to buy on price alone. As far as I'm concerned if there's any play in the knuckle when the two leaves are flexed, then I'll reject that particular hinge. Other common problems are inadequately drilled countersinks, poor quality or ill-fitting screws supplied with the hinge, thin leaves, low grade brass, poorly finished hinges, etc.

I agree about the countersinking being inadequate in some instances. This is very poor on many piano hinges, in some cases it appears to have been omitted altogether.

On the rare occasions I've used piano hinge I've gone for the completely undrilled version. Then I can choose how I want the screw spacing, rather than having it chosen for me.

Back