Fobco Star refurb and maintenance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not familiar with this drill, however a lot of drills of this type have a chuck that’s held on by a Jacobs taper (probably a JT3). You don’t twist it off, it knocks off. To do this you need a pair of folding wedges. The best approach is to buy the special wedges for the job. If you don’t and you try to lever it off you can damage the taper and that’s the start of a very bad day!

One source of wedges from a quick google search
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue ... dges---NEW

phil.p - the nipples aren't conventional hydraulic ones, so they don't work with a modern grease gun coupler. They look like this:

grease nipple.JPG

I either need to change them all (tricky as they are BSF threaded) or buy some form of old style grease gun that is compatible with them.

Deema - yes you are quite right, the chuck is held on by a taper, but there is a threaded ring above the chuck which, when turned, bears down on the chuck and drifts it off - or at least its supposed to. But i don't seem to have the strength to shift the chuck, which is well and truly wedged on.

Attachments

• grease nipple.JPG
    grease nipple.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 67
I had a Startrite Mercury drill at one time at it also had the knurled nut to remove the chuck. Like you I couldn’t get the chuck off with it. The wedges on the other hand worked in seconds with a few taps and the chuck just popped off.

Good luck.

Back