Best Vehicle for Carpentry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawdust=manglitter":3suj41vb said:
I managed alright in my old Honda Civic :D

b1643edbe091f76031bccbcddf573dad.jpg

That'll work... :lol:

What length of boards are they?

All oak boards at both 1” and 2” thick, which I think were something like 4.8m long. I did crack the windscreens though :oops: , but that was while loading the car. And the 100mile journey back from Ledbury went without a hitch, which I could’ve done with along with a trailer attached :wink: !

Where there’s a will there’s a way (especially if you’re as stupid as me)

I can’t comment on sheet goods, but I have since changed my car to a Subaru Forester which is sort of a combination of estate and 4x4 which I find very practical and has plenty more space and length compared to the civic

Sawdust=manglitter":2rn27qhf said:
All oak boards at both 1” and 2” thick, which I think were something like 4.8m long........

I was told by a police officer (my neighbour) that the longest any load can protrude from the footprint of your vehicle is 1 metre. You were lucky not to get a ticket.

MikeG.":214wcptm said:
Sawdust=manglitter":214wcptm said:
All oak boards at both 1” and 2” thick, which I think were something like 4.8m long........

I was told by a police officer (my neighbour) that the longest any load can protrude from the footprint of your vehicle is 1 metre. You were lucky not to get a ticket.

Nah, he very cleverly blanked out his number plate so he wouldn't be recognised.

MikeG.":usn0p5l8 said:

I even passed a couple of police cars and had no trouble getting home. Dont worry, I wont be doing it again though. One of the other reasons I got the Forested was to tow the OH's horse box, so if I ask her VERY nicely then I can use that in future :D

Sawdust=manglitter":1zj4q4we said:
One of the other reasons I got the Forested was to tow the OH's horse box, so if I ask her VERY nicely then I can use that in future :D

When I was doing some building work and the pickup broke, I bought a trailer which would take 8 x 4 sheets, had the wheels underneath so pallets could be fork lifted on. Good cover kept things dry and no tax, insurance, servicing, MOT etc. to worry about. Around £2k will buy a good one and they hold resale value well. e.g. Ifor Williams Eurolight - https://www.iwt.co.uk/products/flatbed/ ... /?tab=spec

Sawdust=manglitter":33q09u5o said:
I even passed a couple of police cars and had no trouble getting home.
I'm sure the added security of the Co-op bag help reassure them it was a safe load.

MikeG.":36pvuree said:
[I was told by a police officer (my neighbour) that the longest any load can protrude from the footprint of your vehicle is 1 metre. You were lucky not to get a ticket.

As an ex officer of the law, I doubted that fact so had a Google. This is an extract from a Department of Transport document so must be true. :roll:

Overhangs.GIF

Attachments

• Overhangs.GIF
    Overhangs.GIF
    91.1 KB · Views: 260
Apart from the boys in blue who could well decide that load is unsafe for both the capability of the vehicle and other road users, should there be an accident I'm certain the insurance company would use that as an excuse to refuse the claim.

Bob

VW Transporter high roof. 8 X 4 sheets, 6 X 6 fence panels and anything up to 3.4 MTS long no probs and you can stand up in it.

If you are a joiner/carpenter that works from a workshop, has to pick materials up and visit clients...it's s van 100%. As a client I wouldn't employ someone who didn't arrive in a clean (ish) van , pref sign written. Not having a go at any others who drive other vehicles I must point out. You can't transport peices of furniture or large tools in an estate or pickup. If you are running a good buisness you should be able to afford a van and a small car.

custard":1ho5k0bp said:
There's a couple of the people carrier type vehicles that are popular with furniture makers because the rear seats are completely removable, without the seats they'll take an 8' x 4' sheet plus the great majority of commissions that you're ever likely to receive.

4X4 type vehicles, like Discoveries, don't have such a good reputation for woodworkers (at least amongst the furniture makers I know) because getting sheet goods up onto the roof rack when you're single handed is harder work, don't forget that a single sheet of 18mm MDF weighs about 40 kilos! If you do intend on using a roof rack then an estate car makes hoisting and securing the load quite a bit easier.

I'm replying as I think this hasn't been picked up on further down the thread. I very much agree with Custard.

The Ford Galaxy / VW Sharan / Seat Alhambra was originally a joint project between Ford and VAG. My understanding is that the design was based on a van chassis. They are, or were, 7-seat people carriers. We had one for a long time as a family car, and its design was excellent.

You can remove five of the seats, and on the version we had, that left a flat, wide, tall cargo area, with a carpet (so it protected furniture), and with recessed tie-down points all over it (where the seats fitted). I could get 3m stock inside with no trouble, into the passenger footwell (lowering the front seat-back if needed), and still carry several passengers behind the driver.

It would take large sheet goods, although I can't remember if I managed full 8x4 sheets. I certinly took rolled-up thin full sheets of MDF, three at a time. For the stuff I do, I prefer to get thicker sheet goods cut by the supplier, at least the big cuts. It limits the ability for me to make expensive mistakes(!), and when it arrives or I collect it's easier to handle.

Our model had a 110 HP diesel engine but there were higher-powered alternatives. I could get to West London and back from Bristol on 1/2 tank of fuel at very comfortable motorway speeds, and it wasn't very noisy, which matters on long journeys. It had a slightly better turning circle than our current Toyota estate, and the road visibility/driver's position was a lot better.

All of them, when we got ours, came with roof rails as standard, and we had a huge top box for ours. They are strong, and the rear sill is helpfully pretty low (much more so than a Transit-type van).

The only real drawback with the Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra was storing unused seats (you trip over them). Fitting and removing them was simple, and taking them out saved a LOT of weight, which in turn saved fuel, especially on the urban cycle.

- - -

In contrast to this, my sister recently bought a new Range Rover Evoque when she retired. It's a beautiful thing: leather interior, real wood trim, and a comfortable, high driving position. It is quiet and the ride is excellent, but all that padding means there is little space for cargo, nor even for people.

She lives in an area prone to flooding, and its adjustable ride height and the ability to wade (fourteen inches I think), were both important considerations for her. I like it from a distance (lovely blue colour, too, and it has an excellent sun roof), but I'd never buy one--even if I had the money, which I never will--as it's too impractical. I very much regret "trading down" to an estate car from the people carrier too.

- - -

I also had a long wheelbase Land Rover Defender, with a full-length rack. The local builders merchant used to load that with their forklift, dropping sheet goods straight onto the top. But I could actually get bigger things inside the Alhambra than the Landy, and more easily too, although I could safely put a lot more dead weight into the back of the Defender (the long wheelbase ones had the uprated Salisbury rear axle as standard).

- - -

So I think Custard's comments are true and very sensible. Much depends on what you want to carry. If you absolutely must have a family + work vehicle, look at people carriers. But try to find one with removable seats, rather than fold-down ones. as it's a lot more practical for load carrying.

E.

PS: they're known as "minivans" in North America, but in my limited experience those tend to only have fold-down seats and are much heavier and less flexible than the European equivalents. They do drive well, but that's got a lot to do with the much bigger engines over there. I have driven several, and took one on a 1800 mile road trip with four passengers. I mention these, because the Japanese people carriers available in the UK are very similar to their USA models, and seem to have many of the same disadvantages - IMHO they aren't as good as the ones specifically designed for "over here".

with regard to the above, I have a Kia Seddona. It seats 7 when needed, All the rear seats come out with a pull on a toggle and when removed they are all on their own in-built trolley, so very easy to move. With all the seats out the floor is completely flat and there are tie down points all over the floor if needed. I have had 8 x 8x4 sheets of MDF in it and had no issues, I have also had an upright piano, a double wardrobe (assembled) in the back and been able to close the back door. I use it all the time as a van and put seats in when needed. Best of all I can fit a full size inflatable double matress in the rear and still have space for a 12v fridge 2 x full infantry bergens 4 car boot tidy bags, me my missus and the dog (medium size) and go camping in it. Best all round vehicle I've ever had and it cost me £800 only had 50K on the clock FSH and I'm second owner. Rear side doors, slide like a van and are electric, full AC, electric windows, and has a built in entertainment system including dvd player in the rear, fitted roof rails and bars. What more can you ask for? :)

Well perhaps it could look nice too but hey ho.

edit typos

Great points there, I would love a 5 or 7 seater "people carrier", my parents had several and they were superbly flexible vehicles, even the smaller 5 seat versions.

Currently I have a focus estate and it's a great car and serves us well but there are plenty of times when I wish I had space for cargo and passengers rather than one or the other.

For loading of goods it does produce a completely flat cargo area if I remove the rear seat pads (3 screws total)

AJB Temple":30f3nwot said:
I am tempted by say a 5 -10 year old LWB transit, preferably with a high roof and and good sized side door.
Beware the side door! Some of the thieving brigade have found out how to get in via the side door without setting the alarm off - makes the van look like it's been ravaged by a large gorilla. On older vans (6 years plus) can result in the van being a write off due to structural damage. Had two colleagues done that way last year, so not good unless you can park your van within sight

Jack_the_Lad":h7iub8jk said:
AJB Temple":h7iub8jk said:
I am tempted by say a 5 -10 year old LWB transit, preferably with a high roof and and good sized side door.
Beware the side door! Some of the thieving brigade have found out how to get in via the side door without setting the alarm off - makes the van look like it's been ravaged by a large gorilla. On older vans (6 years plus) can result in the van being a write off due to structural damage. Had two colleagues done that way last year, so not good unless you can park your van within sight

If you are talking about the door "peeling" then gripper rods in the gutter is the answer :twisted:

Back