Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By AndyT
I can't remember anyone on this forum making a nonsensical statement that it's "impossible to plane assembled work."

But if they did, and I thought it worth correcting them, I certainly wouldn't try to do so on a different forum, then insult people if they didn't share my dogmatic beliefs that hand tools are somehow morally superior to power tools.
By MikeG.
D_W wrote:..........There is a hand tool instructor here in town who has stopped by a couple of times. He calls his shop hand tool classes because they cut dovetails and mortise and tenon and they teach students to refurbish a stanley 5. He and mike are in the same group.......

Honestly, it's time you stopped DW. You haven't got a clue how I work, as you keep demonstrating. Your hackles rise as soon as someone doesn't prostrate themselves at your feet in awe and adoration of the pearls of wisdom that fall from your lips, and it's this self-important attitude which is why you meet such resistance here. As soon as someone says "yes, and?......" when you post something as every day and trivial as planing the outside of a box you turn it into a personal crusade against the person and their work. This reflects only on you, and not at all on your target.
By FatmanG
D_W wrote:>>Mrs fatty <<

well, it was derailed from the start (the point being about planing cases level and smooth all in one direction without too much faffing. The thread has become a faff. but.....!

I now have something to call the mrs. the next time she tells me that I've gotten tubby!!

The one thing I did understand from your posts was your doing this because of your mrs and doing it her way i reckon you call her Boss :wink:
By D_W
you're off the mark, Mike. I can't remember what thread got you to start trolling all of mine with the "I can think of a better way but I haven't done it", but that's pretty much the issue that I have with your responses.

IF someone else doesn't want to work the way I do, it doesn't bother me. I don't come to your threads and harass them. you come to mine and preen your crest and accuse me of ego. It's ridiculous.

You don't know enough about finish planing to understand the difference between the way it would've been done on fine work (through strokes from end to end) and planing in from the ends and creating needless follow up work.

I'm still not inclined to follow your shed building or epoxy filling threads - you win.
By D_W
FatmanG wrote:
D_W wrote:>>Mrs fatty <<

well, it was derailed from the start (the point being about planing cases level and smooth all in one direction without too much faffing. The thread has become a faff. but.....!

I now have something to call the mrs. the next time she tells me that I've gotten tubby!!

The one thing I did understand from your posts was your doing this because of your mrs and doing it her way i reckon you call her Boss :wink:

Pretty much nailed it. It would be slightly different, but I guess to this point, the case would be the same. If it were left to me, it would end up with the same mouldings, but with a face frame and raised panel doors, and no stain. Finish would be shellac on bare wood, french polished.

I guess I'd have to use better wood for parts as some would end up being sap, and i'm not a fan.

But the name "mrs. fatty" is grand, and the next time the mrs. accosts me over my inability to run a marathon, I've got it!! "If I'm mr. fatty, then that makes you....." :)
By MikeG.
D_W wrote:.......You don't know enough about finish planing to understand the difference between the way it would've been done on fine work (through strokes from end to end) and planing in from the ends and creating needless follow up work........

And clearly you haven't the first idea what a cabinet scraper is for. You do it your way, and we'll do it our way. Scraping is the way it's done in high class work, and has been through the ages. Just stop coming here and telling us we don't know what we're doing.

D_W wrote:....... I can't remember what thread got you to start trolling all of mine with the "I can think of a better way but I haven't done it"......

I've never said anything like that. You're familiar with the term "straw man", no doubt.
Last edited by MikeG. on 19 Mar 2020, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
By D_W
Once again, you get to telling people what to do and where they should go and call other people egotistical.

I scrape when it's necessary. It's not necessary on flat work.
By MikeG.
D_W wrote:.......I scrape when it's necessary. It's not necessary on flat work.

It's not necessary, no. It's superior and preferable, but no, I'll concede, not necessary.
By MikeG.
Which of course shows that you either can't do it, or you haven't tried doing it. That's what happens when you're a......

youtu.be/zDylgpGHcic
By D_W
I have the same scraper. I've had several scraping planes and high angle planes. Before i learned to plane, I thought they were necessary. A planed surface looks better and is worth learning. Though it won't save anyone from seeing the industrial color epoxy.

I don't have much confidence that there are many folks around planing like what would've been common 200 years ago. There's little evidence of it occurring, but there are a few skilled cabinetmakers, like Al Breed who say things such as:

>>I always feel that planing will give a cleaner finish than scraping when possible.<<

Of course it will. It's extremely uncommon that it's not possible, but you have to know how to use a plane. Not a scraper.
By MikeG.
D_W wrote:..... it won't save anyone from seeing the industrial color epoxy.......

The one and only time I have ever used epoxy. And no, it isn't "industrial colour" whatever you mean by that. It is brass. That scraped nicely too. Not sure I'd be taking a plane blade to brass......
By thetyreman
if we did plane like they did 200 years ago we'd all have broken backs