Old lathe parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lindas":1z37dj43 said:
Here is a photo of the Oliver wood turning lathe. I posted a photo of the Drummond metal lathe a few posts back
With a quick clean and some details taken about the size and motor that should sell well. The biggest problem is likely to be the size; as many home users won't have the space for it.

Huge collections of hammers indeed. Definitely a few quid to be made there for car boot sales.

I chickened out on starting the hammer competition as I began to think perhaps it was just normal to have that many!!

Lindas
If you want a good home for surplus tools - certainly things like hammers, planes and hand tools generally - there are several charities that collect them, clean them up/service them then ship them to Africa in tool kits for various trades: carpentry, plumbing, electrician etc. Tools With a Mission (TWAM) is the one I use (they have a depot/workshop near me) but there are others. They are very efficient, the tools go into good hands, and it saves the hassle of selling them. Not for big things like the lathe, but as mentioned you should be able to sell that as it looks quite capable.

I suspect these last three are part of your father's "might come in useful" collection, gathered over the years.
The slide is definately not part of the Drummond. The wood lathe may have had a compound rest with it originally so it might just be part of that, failing which it has potential as the basis for a milling/drilling table and someone will be glad to buy it.
No idea what the two near identical parts are, but again have potential and should sell for a few quid.

I also follow the "You can't have enough hammers" philosophy :lol: A hammer is my favorite tool, it doesn't answer back and it does anything you tell it to!

You father had quite a nice collection of hammers there, I wouldn't be surprised there are a few desirable brands in there like Brades, Marples, Griffin, Old Stanleys ETC... which can fetch a pretty penny just on their own. Looks like you got some new old stock handles which some people will pay good money for as sometimes they can be a rare handle pattern which can be used to draw from to create more. Looks like there's also some panel beaters/tin smiths/lead workers hammers there too.

What's really got my attention though is all the tobacco tins on the wall, every one is a little treasure trove! When my great uncle passed he had a hundred or so tins like that and each one had something of either use or worth in it, from jubilee clips to gold rings and chains :shock: He lived during the second world war and the British depression so had the "can't throw anything away" mentality, clearly shown by the drawer we found filled with broken TV remotes and the like.

I visited Linda and her partner earlier today. They're lovely people and very genuine. There was another UKW member visiting too (identity omitted as I don't know if he's made that public).

Between us I think we've managed to get a handle on quite a bit of stuff. I checked with Linda that it would be OK to post a couple of photos I took.

There's a good collection of sharpening stones; in particular most of the India stones looked to be completely unused - so well worth contacting Linda if you're interested.

20190811_111320.jpg

Close up of the writing in the little box to the bottom right of the above photo:

20190811_111325.jpg

There are three decent looking 3 phase induction motors with VFDs. If I recall correctly, two are only 0.5hp, and one is 1hp. I didn't personally see them running, but if you're after such a thing then it's worth getting in contact with Linda.

There's also a couple of decent looking (though in need of restoration) metalworking chucks. One large 4 jaw (no obvious maker's marks) and a slightly smaller (maybe 5 or 6") 3 jaw Pratt chuck.

There's a good collection of mostly No 4 and 4 1/2 Stanley and Record planes; likely post war looking at the markings, but on quick inspection seem to be in good order (indeed it appeared things were all well looked after). There's a couple of No 6s, and a few various unmarked woodies.

Of possible interest to someone; there's what looks like a completely unused Record 44C (http://www.record-planes.com/record-no- ... ugh-plane/), in it's original box.

One thing that none of us could identify are these odd looking clamps. No obvious model number or maker. Answers on a postcard etc:

20190811_122340.jpg

Attachments

• 20190811_111320.jpg
    20190811_111320.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 20190811_111325.jpg
    20190811_111325.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 323
  • 20190811_122340.jpg
    20190811_122340.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 323
there clamps that can put quickly fixed to any workstation to make a small bench vice.

Adidat

the vices look like an equivalent of the Stanley 702 or 5702. I am struggling to find a link that isn't eBay or gumtree to link to.

Many, many thanks to both members who came to help. After my shaky start on ukw I can’t express how much being able to chat with and meet up with members has helped with this sad task. Having never sold on e..y I didn’t realise that people might come to sites like this to get around their charges, as I didn’t know there were charges on e..y until you all told me.

Many thanks Sploo for posting the pictures.

We are working slowly through things with different attacks - I really want as much as can be used to go to the Africa charities. To think of Dads things helping to lift someone out of poverty is very heartening. Dewsbury Sunday morning market is a great place for the cheaper and lighter things and that couldn’t go to a charity. I made a contact with Someonewho might buy things from us at a good price which I find attractive as there is so much. We are getting lots of trusted local contacts as well and they tell others. Dads house is isolated, empty and with only one other neighbour so security is an issue for us.

We can carry on with gumtree and I will put some things up on the for sale section on here. Maybe have a try with the metal lathe on eBay with a members help.

Putting things In the post is an issue as I haven’t got to grips with how to post things myself, haha, I know where the post office is!!!, but how to give a general postage price. That can be my next learning task as there are perhaps thousands of Eclipse assorted blades which I could break up into bundles and post out.

I am a bit frazzled at the moment so taking a bit of a step back so things may be a bit slow. Eclipse blade bundling can be a nice winter job in the warmth I think.

We have new Bradshaw bandsaw blades in different sizes. Would they be useful to members? And lots of Stanley surforms and new blades.

We are really struggling with pricing, looking up on e..y even the realised prices I think might give over priced. If I do put things for sale here could I ask what you think the price should be first?

Thank you all for your kindness and generosity with time.

Linda

Lindas":1a5heh0o said:
We are really struggling with pricing, looking up on e..y even the realised prices I think might give over priced. If I do put things for sale here could I ask what you think the price should be first?
Linda, I'd look at prices for sold listings on fleaBay and shoot for something in the middle; open to offers if you want. There will always be a few pricing outliers either way, but generally there will be a sensible middle ground.

Unused bandsaw blades are likely to be of interest. The length, ribbon width, and teeth per inch (tpi) is important to know. If you know which saw they were for then we can probably estimate the length.

Posting things out is usually a case of size and mass. Hermes are terrible, but they're relatively cheap terrible, and generally a decent choice for planes and moderately large/heavy items. Their website will give you prices for a given size and weight.

BTW cast iron is brittle - things such as planes need to be well protected with bubble wrap. I once received a Record No 7 in nothing but a plastic bag. Needless to say, it was delivered as a jigsaw puzzle :shock:

Hi Lindas,
With regards posting I send a huge number of parcels for work and always use UPS via Parel2go,com. They have a network of drop off points usually the local convenience store and touch wood have been very relaible. Their basic price covers a sensible box size (no dimension over 0.8m) and a weight of up to 30kg so you don't have to worry too much over weighing and measuring. You can also track it on line for added peace of mind
James

Linda,

with postage, for small parcels, Royal Mail second class is probably the cheapest at £3. Check the weight you are allowed, but I think it is reasonably generous.

For heavier stuff, use one of the couriers. I have used my Hermes, but there are plenty of others. I also thought of you when I posted this posting-tools-t118737.html I started a new thread, in case it got lost on this thread. At least that way, you get a fixed price that you can tell people based on weight/size.

if you are planning on posting things like eclipse blades, or small items, invest in some mailing bags. it will save you a lot of time and they are strong. if you dont have a label printer, write on with a sharpie pen. different sizes are available, but try to get one that is the size of the small parcel for Royal Mail. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coloured-Mai ... sQZeYEsAnw

Just a word of warning with the Tools for Africa charities, most of the tools donated are just listed on their eBay shops and only the unsold ones end up going to Africa. I suppose in the end the money generated goes to the Africans which might be better than sending off a bunch of outdated and obsolete tools. The secondhand market in Britain is very lucrative and it’s probably more cost effective to just sell the stuff here and send the cash over rather than shipping heavy tools.

The Tools with a Mission charity are very focused on collecting and restoring tools, and constituting them in sets suitable for different trades (carpenter, electrician, builder etc) in Africa. They regularly ship containers to Uganda and other countries. They have a Facebook page which gives some examples. They only sell tools that are too expensive to ship (e.g. big machines) or which can't find a ready use in Africa.

Many thanks everyone. I’ll look at the new posting about posting! Thank you. I’ve got the Tools with a Mission details and was impressed. We do have lots of items they can put in their bundles for different trades, hammers, files, hand drills etc. I see they have a contact in Huddersfield. With pricing it was more for offering things on here as I know a fixed price is needed and in our inexperience we did initially use e..y for sale prices as we didn’t then know how to look up the realised prices. With gumtree folks seem very willing to make offers against the price so that is fine. I don’t want to offend by over pricing by mistake. But I guess I can run items by you all first.

Thank you all

Lindas Canada and the US postal websites have a Get a Rate area as do their apps. It asks for the destination information, type of item (envelope, box etc.) length, width, height and the weight. Then it lists the different delivery service times and the rates. You then know what overnight to humped by camel costs will be. You know what to expect and gives your customer the option of paying more for speedy delivery. Extra insurance over the basic has to be added to that. See if your mail has the same. Fedex and UPS also have that feature. I'd expect most of the bigger players do.

We can also get registered with the post office as a business and they gave us a card that entitles us to a small discount on the rates when we take the stuff to be mailed. They aren't too thorough about verifying if there is a real business (ours is) and it adds up when you have lots to mail.

Because you will have a lot of stuff to ship you should look for a company that sells packaging materials. They will have every size box under the sun, plus tapes, foam, bubble wrap etc. We order online and have the stuff in a few days. You factor those costs into the items you are selling. Way easier than scrounging a bunch of assorted boxes and newspaper at home to send stuff.

Pete

Many thanks Pete, I asked Currys for a load of cardboard when I was last there and they were very kindly gave me a stash. Making a parcel to fit the item seems to be good (with the 3 items I've posted!!!!). Many thanks for all the very helpful pointers. I don't know where I would have been without UKW truly

Back