Old lathe parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks all. I will take more photos of the cross slide and other 'tasty' item from photo 2. Label up all that has been identified and see what is left. I think the best thing to do for now is keep the lathe things as our plan is to get people to come and see the 2 other lathes when the rest of the workshop has been mostly cleared. There are a lot of metal turning things and many stock tap and die sets so maybe keep everything metal working related until we get people to see the metal lathe. Does that sound like a good plan?

Definitely a good plan. If they do belong to one of the lathes, an enthusiast may recgnoze them, it will add to the value and/or saleability of the lathe. And they are unlikely to be unrelated to the lathes already there. The tap and die sets are unrelated and can be sold separately (and will easily sell on eBay but not for staggering prices). Lathe tools may not be specifically related to a particular lathe, but will add to the attractiveness of a lathe to a buyer. Can we see pics of the lathes?

Hi Lindas,

Where in Yorkshire is the kit? I don't think I can help identify more than what's already been done, but if it's not a big trek I'd certainly be interested in seeing parts you might be selling.

Hi all, yes of course photos of the lathes. I am still a bit cautious as I don’t want to get into trouble for trying to sell on the site. Am I okay posting the photos just for your curiosity?

One tiny success today when I was taking out the parts you have all kindly identified and labelling them up was finding 2 bright discs at the bottom of one of the photos were blades for the Scot Goliath hand metal shearer. I was very pleased not to have scrapped the lot??!! Will post a photo of both

Here is a photo of the Drummond metal lathe. The date of manufacture is difficult to determine, there is a no on the lathe bed but doesn't match any on lathes.co.uk list. There are many cutters and chucks and other things (yet to be identified) too.

Attachments

• 1564514258886image.jpg
    1564514258886image.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 257
The other wood lathe is an Oliver. I will photograph on Friday. Some local enthusiasts have said it is just scrap value, others say about £200. Photos soon.

Lindas said:
Hi all, yes of course photos of the lathes. I am still a bit cautious as I don’t want to get into trouble for trying to sell on the site. Am I okay posting the photos just for your curiosity?

You are a member of this site, and have sufficient posts to your credit, you are fully entitled to use the "for sale" section.

Picture 1,2 and 5 all have parts of the same wood lathe in. You have the headstock in picture 2. Banjo tool rest, tslot nuts and possible intermediate pulleys in picture 1 and tail stock on picture 5. It also looks like you have a grinder attachment in pic 1 too.

Whats missing is a bed but that might be as simply as a thick sheet of iron somewhere or it might be a t track of some sort. Quite possible it was bolted to a cabinet top thats rotted away. Not worth much im afraid but could be fun for someone to play with.

I hate to admit this but I think the lathe bed was scrapped in April in our first clear out. We had advice from a local woodturning club who said the lathe bed and legs were just scrap. It's gone now but such a shame. That is why my sister and I want to try to be careful and everyone here has helped so much. We would rather not go to scrap things that people might use even if they don't have a sale price.

Was just about to add a name springs to mind after posting. They bear a resblence to an old dunlap clipper which was a wooden bed ( basically 2 4x2 planks). Might be worth having a search with that.

I looked it up and it does look very similar. The wooden lathe bed is very interesting. I would be happy for anyone at ukworkshop to have the parts for free who might like to try putting it together. What would be the best way to go about asking if anyone might like these parts?

Here is the Scot Goliath and the identified cutters from the random parts in the original photos

Attachments

• 1564588797944image.jpg
    1564588797944image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 432
Here are the closer photos that were asked for of the lathe slide and the 'tasty' item. There seemed to be 2 quite alike so I've posted photos of them both

Attachments

• 1564774355373image.jpg
    1564774355373image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 395
Side views

Attachments

• 1564774450321image.jpg
    1564774450321image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 394
  • 1564774416615image.jpg
    1564774416615image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 394
Here is a photo of the Oliver wood turning lathe. I posted a photo of the Drummond metal lathe a few posts back

Attachments

• 1564849330380image.jpg
    1564849330380image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 356

Latest posts

Back