Oak french doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a short break from the kitchen project to make these. They are made from 64mm thick engineered oak and are double glazed with 24mm K glass units.

Size is about 2350mm X 1300mm

oakdoor-01.jpg

The lock is a wink haus cobra multipoint which I have used quite a few times now. The right hand door is the slave and bolts are shot up into the head and cill

oakdoor-03.jpg

The master door has a latch dead lock and 2 hooks which hook into the slave door. The system is really good with adjustment on cams to all the locking points which allow easy adjustment on site and its easy to adjust for seasonal movement if required.

oakdoor-02.jpg

The doors fold right back against the outside walls and this is what they look like internally.

oakdoor-04.jpg

oakdoor-05.jpg

The doors and locks were all fitted in the workshop and it makes fitting on site loads easier you just need to make sure that the frame goes in square and you check the fit of the doors before fastening the frame back.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Jon

Lovely looking job!

Re: Winkhaus cobra - This isn't a bad locking system, but it does have a shortcoming, in that the centre lockcase is rivetted closed, and peened onto the rest of the lock, as are the two hook bolt housings. This means that you can't service or repair the lock if a small part breaks (very common on Multi Point Locks), and are forced to replace the entire system.

The Era lockmaster has a similar setup, but you can open the centre case easily, and buy the centre case as an after market part, making it much easier to repair or replace without having to buy the complete MPL system.

IMO, multipoint locks are not the ideal solution for a wooden door - the full length route tends to make the door quite vulnerable to a jemmy attack, and I find it's common to come across doors where movement in the door prevents the lock being properly adjusted, so it can't be fully locked.

P.S - I hope you fitted hinge bolts on that door. Parliament hinges on a final exit door are rather vulnerable without them. Also looks like you could do with a longer cylinder internally, at a guess a 40/50 cylinder with the longer half inside.

Thanks for the comments.

Matty - The finish is satin yacht varnish as the customers didnt like the darkening of the light oak sikkens that I usually use.

John - The doors were glazed before fitting but the top light was glazed on site so that the frame could be fixed at the top and the top light screwed to the frame.

Doug- I got the oak from fitchett and Woolacott in nottingham although it comes from brooks bros who own fitchetts http://www.brookstimber.co.uk/laminated.htm each piece is stamped with a date of production which is in german so i assume its made in germany

setch - Will check out the era locks and see what they are like. I have fitted about 8 sets of doors with the winkhaus mechanism and have only been called back to one and it was a quick fix to just alter the cams to get everything working properly again. The cylinders were supplied the wrong size and will be changed when the new ones arrive

cheers

Jon

Is the use of a MPL at customers request or something you prefer? Given the choice I'd opt to fit a good quality traditional mortise sashlock and morticed rack bolts on a wooden door - I just consider them much stronger, but I think most folks prefer the convenience of locking a single cylinder and handle.

I think the other issue with wooden doors and MPLs is the hinges - a uPCV door with adjustable hinges can be moved all over the show to correct movement or dimensional changes which are too large to be accomodated by the adjustment in the keeps (and uPVC moves every bit as much as wood, just differently!). A wooden door ends up having to have the hinges chopped deeper or shimmed to correct movement down the line.

Anyway, enough distraction from your thread - lovely doors :)

Latest posts

Back