UKWorkshop Woodworking Forums




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 21:26 
Offline
Participant

Joined: 10 Apr 2015, 18:34
Posts: 21
Location: Bedford
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Very sorry if this has been posted before- if it has please can someone direct me there, but I'm looking for advice on finishing Oak faced MDF. Would it stand up to a simple water based poly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Digg
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 22:02 
Offline
Settled in Member

Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 19:45
Posts: 865
Location: Near Dartford, Kent
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 70 times
I use Osmo, usually in tandem with solid oak (frame and panel etc) never had a problem

With a waterbased finish you will need to raise the grain first and stay away from wire wool for cutting back.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 05:43 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 20:49
Posts: 3082
Has thanked: 505 times
Been thanked: 279 times
katellwood wrote:
I use Osmo, usually in tandem with solid oak (frame and panel etc) never had a problem

With a waterbased finish you will need to raise the grain first and stay away from wire wool for cutting back.
Daft question but does the oak veneer look the same colour as the solid oak when osmo'd ? Years ago I made some cupboard doors from solid oak and used mdf for the panels. I used Danish oil and the mdf looked noticibly different. I think osmo make a 'door oil' when is specifically designed for veneered mdf. From memory I think it's made to not penetrate quite as deep.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 05:48 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 20:49
Posts: 3082
Has thanked: 505 times
Been thanked: 279 times
CaptainSawdust wrote:
Very sorry if this has been posted before- if it has please can someone direct me there, but I'm looking for advice on finishing Oak faced MDF. Would it stand up to a simple water based poly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I've done quite a bit of veneered stuff lately with Ronseal waterbased and am really pleased with the results.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 09:47 
Offline
Settled in Member

Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 19:45
Posts: 865
Location: Near Dartford, Kent
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 70 times
ColeyS1 wrote:
katellwood wrote:
I use Osmo, usually in tandem with solid oak (frame and panel etc) never had a problem

With a waterbased finish you will need to raise the grain first and stay away from wire wool for cutting back.
Daft question but does the oak veneer look the same colour as the solid oak when osmo'd ? Years ago I made some cupboard doors from solid oak and used mdf for the panels. I used Danish oil and the mdf looked noticibly different. I think osmo make a 'door oil' when is specifically designed for veneered mdf. From memory I think it's made to not penetrate quite as deep.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk


I've never noticed any difference I mainly use veneered MDF in areas where the edge is not exposed (6mm for shaker door panels, 19mm for risers in closed string staircases etc). I apply is the same manner as well, i.e. first coat flood the surface, allow to soak then after approx 20 mins polish off (and i mean polish not just take off the excess). second coat after a slight denib it is applied more sparingly again left and polished off. After 24hrs I give it another good polish, never had a problem and the finish on both veneered and solid appears and feels very similar if not the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 09:54 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3362
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 79 times
The only time I've noticed a difference between veneered oak and the solidwood frame around it is if the solid wood is European oak, and the veneer is AWO. I don't know, but I suspect that most veneered ply & MDF is AWO.

_________________
Slope Immune

How to build a shed properly: here


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 13:11 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 20:49
Posts: 3082
Has thanked: 505 times
Been thanked: 279 times
It seems clear I need to give osmo a go on veneered mdf- thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017, 11:36 
Offline
Settling In

Joined: 12 Sep 2017, 09:22
Posts: 103
Location: London
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 9 times
I have done a bit of oak veneered MDF and tried different finishes.

My favourite is coating with sanding sealer, cutting back with 320 grit and then waxing. I use a very fine wire wool to apply the wax and a car polisher
to shine it up. Mind you, only for pieces that are not going to be in danger of getting wet. The last thing I did was a wardrobe with solid AWO frames and AWO veneered panels.

I like this finish because there are absolutely no brush marks! The other advantage is that if it does get marked or even stained, you can just cut the mark back and
polish it out.

It's got a nice smell as well.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 07:35 
Offline
Settling In

Joined: 03 Jan 2016, 12:18
Posts: 65
Location: United kingdom
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 2 times
[quote="katellwood"]I use Osmo, usually in tandem with solid oak (frame and panel etc) never had a problem

Do you prep the veneer in any way first or just put the Osmo straight on?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 07:54 
Offline
Participant

Joined: 10 Apr 2015, 18:34
Posts: 21
Location: Bedford
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Thanks very much for the advice everyone. Really appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 15:47 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 15:09
Posts: 5235
Location: South East
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 1251 times
Geoff_S wrote:
I have done a bit of oak veneered MDF and tried different finishes.

My favourite is coating with sanding sealer, cutting back with 320 grit and then waxing. I use a very fine wire wool to apply the wax


Oak and wire wool don't mix, over time tiny fragments of the wire wool can settle in the Oak's pores which risks black stains developing. 3M make a wire wool substitute that's non ferrous, that's a better choice for Oak or other tannin rich timbers.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Oak faced MDF
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 10:44 
Offline
Settling In

Joined: 12 Sep 2017, 09:22
Posts: 103
Location: London
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 9 times
custard wrote:
Geoff_S wrote:
I have done a bit of oak veneered MDF and tried different finishes.

My favourite is coating with sanding sealer, cutting back with 320 grit and then waxing. I use a very fine wire wool to apply the wax


Oak and wire wool don't mix, over time tiny fragments of the wire wool can settle in the Oak's pores which risks black stains developing. 3M make a wire wool substitute that's non ferrous, that's a better choice for Oak or other tannin rich timbers.


That's interesting. I've done it for years now and never had that problem. Maybe it's because I use the sanding sealer first?

Anyway, no point in finding it to be a problem on future projects. I will check out the 3M stuff. Thanks :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 Similar topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
Concealed drawer slides for flush faced dovetail drawers?

in General Woodworking

Sawdust=manglitter

8

314

14 Apr 2017, 19:34


Register UKW

User Tools






UKW Local

Quickly find the nearest tool suppliers & timber merchants in your area





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
UKW Terms & Privacy