New Graphite Clifton 5 1/2 Passaround

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Sefton

Wood Workers Workshop
UKW Supporter
UKW Sponsor
Reaction score
Threshing Barn, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcs WR8 0SN
This is the passaround for the new graphite 5 ½ Jack Plane incorporating the new Clifton 01 Cryogenically treated plane blade.

I will pull an unopened Clifton box off the shelf and send it out to the first person on the list.

If you are interested please copy and paste the list into your reply and add your username at the bottom, then send a private message with your real name and postal address, to the person named before you on the list.

I do have some videos I made with Mick from Clifton last year which I hope to put on YouTube soon; they explain the philosophy behind the Clifton brand and explain how they are made which you may find of interest.

To have a play with the plane you need to have been a forum member since the 1st October 2014 and have posted at least 50 posts to date.

I will send out the plane and then each participant will need to send it onto the next on the list by signed for delivery and to be fair to other users only within mainland UK Zone 1. Feel free to have the plane for a few days, give it a good workout and let us know your thoughts and post any photos and reviews of its performance. To keep things moving along for everyone please only have it for a few days.

Enjoy the plane and give us feedback about the "new kid on the block" from Sheffield!

The plane will be going out to

Nickwelford

Cheers Peter

Attachments

• 03.11.2014 076-1024px.JPG
    03.11.2014 076-1024px.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 3,689
  • 03.11.2014 077-1024px.JPG
    03.11.2014 077-1024px.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 3,689
  • 03.11.2014 112-1024px.JPG
    03.11.2014 112-1024px.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 3,689
  • The New Chip Breaker-1024px.jpg
    The New Chip Breaker-1024px.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 3,689
Oh so tempting, but whilst I can persuade my wife to buy me the Woodriver #6 I doubt she would pay the extra needed for a Clifton #6 and if I tried it and liked it, I would always be regretful if I bought the Woodriver in its stead.

I have just noticed that the #6 on your website Peter is still in BRG, does this come with the newer cryogenic blade or an older type? If the older type how much ore would the newer blade cost to have fitted? (Just for curiosity you understand).

I urge anyone to try this out. Not often you get a chance to play with stuff like this. I will be on the list but I will leave myself until last as I have a WR I need to write about.

Ed Bray":4slpkvj2 said:
Oh so tempting, but whilst I can persuade my wife to buy me the Woodriver #6 I doubt she would pay the extra needed for a Clifton #6 and if I tried it and liked it, I would always be regretful if I bought the Woodriver in its stead.

I have just noticed that the #6 on your website Peter is still in BRG, does this come with the newer cryogenic blade or an older type? If the older type how much ore would the newer blade cost to have fitted? (Just for curiosity you understand).

Ed your right the No 6 Clifton on the tool shop is green the last remaining stock before the new graphite come in. This plane has the original OI hand forger blade possibly with a wonky stamp!

All new planes will have the new O1 cryogenic blades, sorry I don't have the pricing to hand.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":1qhiout8 said:
...to be fair to other users only within mainland UK Zone 1.
I do have some videos I made with Mick from Clifton last year which I hope to put on YouTube soon; they explain the philosophy behind the Clifton brand and explain how they are made which you may find of interest.
As I'm very slightly, just out of Zone 1, I'll have to settle for watching the videos. I'm looking forward seeing them.

This plane has the original OI hand forger blade possibly with a wonky stamp!
That's a shame. I liked the deep stamp. A bit of the past, surviving into modern times. Like the BRG, I'll miss it.

All new planes will have the new O1 cryogenic blades...
Hi Peter. What is the expected effect of the cryogenic treatment on the iron? I know the hand forged iron was supposed to realign the grain structure in the iron to give superior edge retention, yet Derek Cohen found the Clifton iron wanting, in a recent review of chuting planes (maybe the Aussie timbers were a step too far?).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann to answer your question, you are right Derek amongst others have found the blades edge retention a little lacking on occasions (what do you expect if you use timbers suitable for railway sleepers) :mrgreen:

My understanding is that the cryogenic treatment on the O1 iron addresses this.

The original O1 steel did produce a very sharp edge and this was achieved very quickly and easily but the payoff could be edge retention. This historically was not an issue in the UK with our mild air-dried timbers but as more exotic timbers come into play, more exotic steels have been produced to cope with demand.

A2 was meant to be our saviour but although A2 should have good edge retention it could be difficult to sharpen and would break down if honed at low angles. It looks like Veritas are now dropping A2 in favour of O1 and PMV11 (not my favourite).

I am not sure of the scientific qualities of the new O1 cryogenic iron steel but at the Furniture School we blind tested a selection of blades for Clifton.

We had no information of what each blade was or any indication of steels or processing. It was really fun and intriguing at the same time and done without prejudice.

Of the blades we tested it turns out the new O1 cryogenic blade was the flattest, quickest to sharpen and held the edge the longest. I think the original Clifton blade was within the test and my feeling was it came in second place. I may never know the answer!

I feel the new blade is as quick to sharpen, gets a great edge but will hold it longer than the old one.

So it will be interesting to see how it is received on the pass around, but one thing is for sure, no-one will complain about a hand forged wonky stamp as these are laser cut and engraved!

Cheers Peter

Thanks Peter for a very informative answer.

Fortunately here in New Zealand our "native" timbers are more like your English trees than the knarly silcon impregnated timber found across the ditch in Australia. So my old Clifton irons might still be usable #-o .

I'm sad to say I haven't used them enough to have formed an opinion on edge retention - though my Clfton No.3 is the smoother I reach for, for fine finishing (what little I do :oops: ).

Cheers, Vann.

ps When the supply of jarrah sleepers ran out, we used treated pine sleepers for some years, but now we use main concrete sleepers. I don't suppose even Derek's A2 irons would retain an edge for long on them... :mrgreen:

Peter Sefton":3uy1jfcb said:
I am not sure of the scientific qualities of the new O1 cryogenic iron steel but at the Furniture School we blind tested a selection of blades for Clifton.

We had no information of what each blade was or any indication of steels or processing. It was really fun and intriguing at the same time and done without prejudice.

Facts, not opinions.

-- David Kirkaldy

:D

BugBear

Suppose here over in the states, it's time to start scouring the dealers that sold the green Cliftons for close-out buys! I'm passed my disappointment in the green giving way to gray (not really a big deal!), but I love the O1 blade in my #3 and never have had an issue with the domestic wood (US-cherry, walnut, poplar and some white oak) I use. Wouldn't mind picking up an iron or two, just to have (plus the hand stamp is just something that should remain!).

Again, I wish Thomas Flinn all the best and am glad to see a manufacturer adhere to quality in their tools.

Peter Sefton":3oicscau said:
A2 was meant to be our saviour but although A2 should have good edge retention it could be difficult to sharpen and would break down if honed at low angles. It looks like Veritas are now dropping A2 in favour of O1 and PMV11 (not my favourite).

At last an empirical statement from someone who I trust to say in one sentence what I have felt all along. :wink:

And my O1 steel irons don't need no fancy cryogenic treatment either...it's bloody freezing out in the workshop as it is! :mrgreen:

Thanks Peter!

Jim

Will Thomas Flinn be offering a hand forged O1 blade with a jaunty stamp as an option ? I rather liked them. Unlike the Clifton 2 piece cap iron, it is better than the original Record ones.

Very tempted to join in for a play though...

Sheffield Tony":3phy89mo said:
Will Thomas Flinn be offering a hand forged O1 blade with a jaunty stamp as an option ? I rather liked them. Unlike the Clifton 2 piece cap iron, it is better than the original Record ones.

Very tempted to join in for a play though...

We have spoken about it but no final decision yet, we still have stock of replacement blades and I have some of my own.

You are more than welcome to be added to the list, just let us know.

Cheers Peter

Hope they retain the embossed brand name which is forged into the blade during manufacture. It just seems so right for a hand forged carbon steel blade made the proper way.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back