New Graphite Clifton 5 1/2 Passaround

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Paul,

Paul Chapman":3bkg54ul said:
Hope they retain the embossed brand name which is forged into the blade during manufacture. It just seems so right for a hand forged carbon steel blade made the proper way.

Whilst at the Harrogate show I tried the BRG 5 1/2 and I was very impressed. When I looked at the BRG and the cryogenic version, I must say that the BRG was the one for me as it was so full of character.

I'm not a Clifton owner, but I wish that funds had allowed me to walk away with the BRG. :lol:

Neil

Newbie_Neil":2h9j7w01 said:
Also, what are your first impressions of the cryogenically treated plane blade?

Hi Neil

Sorry for the slow reply it's been non stop here since Harrogate and our own in-house show.

We were part of the testing team for the new blade, our feeling was that it sharpens as easily as the old O1, gets a very good edge and holds it slightly longer than the old blade.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":ilznldav said:
... new blade, our feeling was that it sharpens as easily as the old O1, gets a very good edge and holds it slightly longer than the old blade.

Well, that sounds good!

BugBear

Peter Sefton":gtp3h0ft said:
Newbie_Neil":gtp3h0ft said:
Also, what are your first impressions of the cryogenically treated plane blade?

Hi Neil

Sorry for the slow reply it's been non stop here since Harrogate and our own in-house show.

We were part of the testing team for the new blade, our feeling was that it sharpens as easily as the old O1, gets a very good edge and holds it slightly longer than the old blade.

Cheers Peter

Thank you, Peter.

Peter Sefton":27s9zhgp said:
I have heard mention of the front screw protruding and will high-light this to Clifton.

Peter, on the 10 year Anniversary Cliftons, they fitted a slightly different screw head to the front knob. That had a small chamfer around the edge of the brass screw head which would help to overcome this problem.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Don't know if I'm to late, but could I be added to the list? Guess not, cheers.

Nickwelford
tim burr
Graham Haydon
Mark Rhodes

Pm on the way

It has gone a little quiet but we do all have busy lives.

I have finally managed to post the videos that I made last year with Mick Hudson from Clifton. You may find out a little more about Clifton's from watching them or just think it's two ageing men talking about planes! (which it is)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ZN80PKDco

Cheers Peter

Hi Mark,

Sorry to keep you waiting :D, out and about! Will get it done tomorrow. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

G

Interesting videos Peter, its fascinating to see how many processes are involved in making a plane and the trouble that is taken to ensure the castings are stable etc

Cheers
Richard
Peter Sefton":1ehilumb said:
It has gone a little quiet but we do all have busy lives.

I have finally managed to post the videos that I made last year with Mick Hudson from Clifton. You may find out a little more about Clifton's from watching them or just think it's two ageing men talking about planes! (which it is)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ZN80PKDco

Cheers Peter

Back