My first workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some bloak

Established Member
Reaction score
I know there's lots of different stuff on here spread over a wide time span on the subject, but can anyone help in some 'up to date' pointing me in the right direction to getting plans/ideas for a first workbench build?.

I like the look/ ease of build of the English type and the Roubo, but would probably attempt a hybrid version of the two. For instance I would prefer a thicker/heavier top than what seems to be on the English type. Also, are the aprons on the English bench any better to have rather than not-they look a bit of an overkill or give it a bit of a pile of planks look!.

I've seen Scott Landis's book recommended too- does it have plans in that I could use/adapt- RM looks like he's made some beautiful benches in his time, but £26 just for one type of plan seems a tad pricey?.

Thanks everyone. I'm a bit of a lurker here but I do appreciate all the different knowledge and experiences that people kindly take the trouble of conveying here.

The English type of bench is ideal for a beginner (and not only a beginner). It can be made from 2x stock in an afternoon.
Doesn't take much skill, just some glue, nails and little to no joinery.
As you progress in your woodworking, you'll know best which features your bench should have and you'll incorporate them in the next version you build.

Some bloak":2x7r2oin said:
I like the look/ ease of build of the English type and the Roubo, but would probably attempt a hybrid version of the two.
In case it's a primary concern there are many benches that are easier to build than either of these.

For instance I would prefer a thicker/heavier top than what seems to be on the English type.
Beware of adding too much weight for the sake of it. Stability comes from more than weight, and any well-built bench that's just a little light (so has a tendency to 'walk' when doing heavier planing) can be fixed in place by numerous means. Just something non-stick on or under the feet can make an amazing difference!

See the design I posted an image of in this thread which relates to both of the above points. Not specifically recommending it, it's just one of many easy-to-build straightforward modern bench designs.

Also, are the aprons on the English bench any better to have rather than not-they look a bit of an overkill or give it a bit of a pile of planks look!
You'll get a dozen answers about this if you ask 10 woodworkers. Some consider a front apron a vital part of a bench because that's what they use and the benches they trained up on all had them, others (rightly) think they are merely one option of many. If it's not there as a necessary structural component of the bench consider an apron very much optional/discretionary.

I've seen Scott Landis's book recommended too- does it have plans in that I could use/adapt- RM looks like he's made some beautiful benches in his time, but £26 just for one type of plan seems a tad pricey?
I'd say!

On the subject of books, I posted this in a previous thread when the subject came up:

Since books got mentioned, the Landis books is rightly considered a classic and Schwarz's books are both well regarded, but there are two others that I think deserve to be mentioned more. The first is "The Workbench: A Complete Guide to Creating Your Perfect Bench" by Lon Schleining. After finally getting a chance to have a proper look through it recently I rate it highly.

There's an older and more straightforward bench book by Sam Allen (of "Plane Basics" fame) that never seems to get mentioned, "Making Workbenches: planning, building, outfitting". There's much less on history in this and overall it's a slimmer volume but it is very practically geared and has many useful tips on how to use the bench once it's built as well as some additional devices to help get the most from it so it is well worth a look IMO if you can locate a copy. Your local libraries may have it, that's where I discovered it and it's the only place I've seen it.

dzj":25a1zsh3 said:
As you progress in your woodworking, you'll know best which features your bench should have and you'll incorporate them in the next version you build.

What he said ^^^^ Don't fret too much about design, your first bench will not meet your ultimate requirements in some way - we all look back and think I should have built it heavier/lighter/shorter/longer/higher/lower ... I should have added ... I should have left off ...

Don't forget that many traditional designs were ideal for a time when people were generally shorter and worked much heavier timbers with hand tools, so they were built lower and much heavier than most people would need now.

Back