Marples transitional revival.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIGNAL

Established Member
Reaction score
The Marples/Sellers transitional Plane. These are all the rage at the moment. . .
Knocked up over a very intensive weekend. A wooden plane that utilises the Bailey frog and it's adjustment. In the manner that Bill Carter uses old Brass saw backs for his planes I guess it's a form of recycling unwanted Stanley/Record plane parts.
My version is a little different in that it features a Rosewood sole and the sides are formed from a Cherry and Walnut laminate. 2 x 2 mm Cherry and 3 x 0.5 mm Walnut makes the side walls at 5.5 mm's. It helps to keep the whole plane looking slimline without compromising on strength.
The rest of the Plane is from quarter sawn Cherry, the domed palm pad from Indian Rosewood.
At just 12.5" long it's a small light 'nippy' Jack Plane. The finish is still rather soft but I did try it out on a few timber types before it was introduced to the varnish. These are lightweight planes. They excel at working soft and medium density hardwoods. So it proved when I tried it on Walnut, Sapele, figured Maple and some Cherry. Sellers refers to the shavings as 'shooting out', he isn't wrong. They were landing on the floor 2 ft ahead! . . . . OK, some of them were.
You can work these planes fast (as with most other wooden planes), slick over the wood they are less tiring to use. The one disadvantage I see with them is that you don't have the mass that seems to help when dealing with hard cranky timber. I did briefly try it on some Bubinga, it worked perfectly well but that particular Bubinga happened to be well behaved straight grain stuff.
There you have it. There is no one single plane that is 'the best', there are certain planes that are more suited to the task at hand. This transitional is the most comfortable plane that I've ever used (I've tried a few). Don't underestimate that domed palmpad at the front. Marples got that right.
My special thanks goes to Roger (Dodge) for donating the Stanley frog, gratis.

Nicely done.

Just missing a shaving shot.

Pete

Nice job Mignal. Do you have any WIP shots or a few images of different areas of the plane?

I'm afraid not. It was far too intensive to take WIP shots. It was basically all done in 2 days, bing bang bosh. All hand tools including any resawing that I had to do. The rear handle was formed without filles or rasps, sawn out and then shaped with a knife. It was finished off with a scraper and a bit of 180G. My type of working.
I did manage to draw around the various component parts though. So I do have a Plan of sorts. Odd little bits were reshaped along the way, so I'll have to make some adjustments to the drawing.

perfick my friend and a fine and dandy job you have done. i am in the process of revamping an original marples trasitonal jack plane got from ebay for £10.00 posted i hope it works as well as it looks when it done.
pete

Nice one!

Bob Wearing, in his book 'The Resourceful Woodworker', has several designs of wooden plane, some using a sort of Norris adjuster, and one a modified Stanley arrangement. His used a wooden 'frog', but with a similar lateral adjuster and a redesigned depth adjuster.

He also suggests soling the plane with a hard-wearing wood such as Rosewood or Ebony. One source of such timber is the blanks sold by luthier's suppliers for guitar fingerboards, which he reckons will do two smoothers, but are not quite wide enough for a jack or try plane.

It is or rather was a Guitar fretboard blank. They can come in at around 70 mm width, although I have some in Ebony at near 73 mm's - probably just short. I suppose they could be joined down the centre to gain width. I don't see why not, there's plenty of gluing surface. I know that ECE do the fancy sole joint but I've yet to have any sole come unglued. I just don't see it as being a factor. Ebony might be a bit expensive for a Plane sole. You'll get two soles at near 3.5 mm's thick though if resawn. Buy the stuff with lighter coloured streaks and it's nearly half the price of the jet Black stuff.

Lurcher that is seriously cheap. It's amazing how little is thought of these types of Plane. You probably have more than double that in the used component parts! It's the same with old woodies though. I've never personally used or even seen a Marples transitional. They sometimes refer to it as being the 'school plane' but they didn't have any at the schools that I attended. I suspect that once set up it will work rather well.

That's a lovely plane.... but 2 days.... 2 days - even an intensive 2 days, I can't even begin to think how long it would take me to make.

Excellent job - a real pleasure to see. Would you mind telling what glue you used and how the frog is attached?

The Marples transitionals seem to have appeared about 1960 and at that time they were also offering traditional style wooden planes and Bailey style planes. Below are some extracts from a supplement to The Woodworker, May 1960 listing the planes available then and their prices.

Attachments

• Planes 1960_2C.jpg
    Planes 1960_2C.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 1,886
  • Planes 1960_2D.jpg
    Planes 1960_2D.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 1,889
  • Planes 1960_4C.jpg
    Planes 1960_4C.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 1,889
I use Hide glue throughout. I haven't used PVA in years! I'm sure PVA/Titebond will work perfectly well though.
I think there are two choices with the frog. Either chop the legs off a Stanley/Record frog or keep it as is. I chopped the legs off, so the last inch or so of the blade is bedded onto wood. Retaining the full length of the frog will probably work as well, just requires a different fit. The frog itself is just secured with two short but chunky wood screws.
I have an Ebay Record No.4 special on it's way, in readiness for the smoothing plane version. I think I might bed it at York pitch. Seems a pity to destroy the Record Frog (hey! it looks a half decent No.4) so I'm going to use the frog complete. It was cheaper to buy a complete Plane than to buy all the S/H component parts of blade, chipbreaker, lever cap and frog. If it doesn't work so well as a smoother I can always revert back to a Record No. 4. Not that I need another smoother or indeed another plane but what the heck, life's short.

BTW. How much is 1960 40 shillings in todays money, wage related?

Thanks for the info. on the glue and frogs. I'll look forward to seeing the smoothing version.

40 shillings = £2. I don't know how much would be today's equivalent.

You could make an "rxh" style scraper plane with the remains of the Record No.4 :) If you would like to give it a go I can send you a detailed drawing.

Well my Ebay special Record No.4 has arrived:

Nope, it doesn't look much. Scratch below the surface though and it happens to be an extremely good Plane. It's an older type. It has the 'war finish' marked on the lateral adjuster, which dates it between 1939 - 1945. The bonus was that the length of the cast steel blade is at or at least very close to being at full length. I don't think this Plane has seen much use, although it is obvious that it has not been kept in ideal conditions.
I resharpened the blade and flattened the back of it. Actually took all of 5 minutes! Another few minutes work on the chipbreaker.
I've tried it on a few types of timber. I'm afraid it's too good to break up into parts. The next Marples transitional will have to wait for something a little less useful.

Back