Look what I found!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 722
I've never seen a bad review on the Rutlands site! Usually never less than 4 stars! Someone in admin missed a trick there! lol

yep Rutlands must be amazing, that is the only 1 star review i have seen :)

cant complain though as we don't have that much choice in the uk for suppliers

Here's another one! Hard to find as the single one-star review is averaged up by three five-star reviews.

1star.jpg

Attachments

• 1star.jpg
    1star.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 347
AndyT":ak97luj6 said:
Here's another one! Hard to find as the single one-star review is averaged up by three five-star reviews.

View attachment 1

I'm no fan of Rutlands bit I think this one is actually quite interesting. Looking at what is said in the five star reviews they clearly don't relate to what anyone would, in absolute terms, consider to be a five star product. However, for £20 a new No4 that will, with a small amount of work, produce a half decent shaving is something of a miracle. So, taking value for money into account, which I think most people would, it isn't too hard to see why someone might think the product merited five stars.

Jim

shed9":3sfxh9tr said:
Hopefully they have taken on the criticism in the lack of genuine reviews on their site.

I thought the very same thing, maybe a change of approach.

Terry.

yetloh":1gqsjgo6 said:
AndyT":1gqsjgo6 said:

View attachment 1

I'm no fan of Rutlands bit I think this one is actually quite interesting. Looking at what is said in the five star reviews they clearly don't relate to what anyone would, in absolute terms, consider to be a five star product. However, for £20 a new No4 that will, with a small amount of work, produce a half decent shaving is something of a miracle. So, taking value for money into account, which I think most people would, it isn't too hard to see why someone might think the product merited five stars.

Jim

Those reviews are more than likely for the original price of £40.

I happen to know someone that bought that exact plane from Rutlands at around the £40 mark and it was pretty awful. Most of the issues were things you couldn't fix. They returned it and got a full refund.

I tend to pay less attention to reviews these days, especially those without comments. You often get the silly person that will give a bad product rating because customer service was bad, or it came late. Or even worse, those that give it a rating before using the product???? ...I'm assuming they're just looking at the quality of the build/packaging.

This is where buying things online can be a royal pain in the buttocks. It's a risky.

transatlantic":ybjq6cfi said:
I happen to know someone that bought that exact plane from Rutlands at around the £40 mark and it was pretty awful. Most of the issues were things you couldn't fix.
Made reference to this in the recent thread on new planes, at the low end there is some luck involved. While Anants won't win any awards there are decent ones out there, same as with Silverline and Faithfull.

All production will have some variability of course and castings are particularly prone to variation, which normally quality control measures would weed out. Low standards in quality control at this end of the market unfortunately means that multiple parts on the one plane can have faults, combining to make it more difficult to fettle into good working order. For individual users this can mean it's impossible, since some of the tweaks are outside of the usual scope of fettling.

The Y-lever is one of those, most people would never have to do anything to one so I think it's fair to say that most buyers will either not know that you can tweak them and if they have the thought won't know how.

transatlantic":3dxhneki said:
yetloh":3dxhneki said:
AndyT":3dxhneki said:

View attachment 1

Jim

Those reviews are more than likely for the original price of £40.

I happen to know someone that bought that exact plane from Rutlands at around the £40 mark and it was pretty awful. Most of the issues were things you couldn't fix. They returned it and got a full refund.

I tend to pay less attention to reviews these days, especially those without comments. You often get the silly person that will give a bad product rating because customer service was bad, or it came late. Or even worse, those that give it a rating before using the product???? ...I'm assuming they're just looking at the quality of the build/packaging.

This is where buying things online can be a royal pain in the buttocks. It's a risky.

My favourites are where it's clear the buyer bought the wrong product for the task entirely, and then blames the product for not doing the task well.

BugBear

Back