Lidl drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a tool snob and I have a few Parkside tools from Lidl that I have been pleased with I intended to be there on Monday morning and buy both the drill and the circular saw.

Well I have been and bought one.
Seems to be fine
Time will tell but if it does half the work my last lidl park side drill did I will be happy

I think it's hard to go wrong at that price, especially with the peace of mind of a three year guarantee.
At £40 that's more than most people charge for a single battery, let alone the tool and charger.
I've just bought the circular saw and jigsaw and it'll be handy for quickly cutting up sheet goods to get them home in the car or for the odd cut in the garden without having to sort out an extension lead.

I think the video is brilliant, especially after 36 seconds when the lad wipes his brow and puffs :D
All it needed was a little ditty from Howlin' Wolf...

I'm tempted though, the 18V Bosch [Blue] I bought 18 months back doesn't last more than 25-30 minutes
and I'm for ever tightening the chuck!

Where did you see them for £16, it mentions £20 in my instruction manual, not that I' m complaining at that price?
Just tried out the jigsaw and first impressions are very good indeed. It cuts through 18 MDF and 20mm oak like it wasn't even there, at any pendulum setting too.
Just popped back up to Lidl for some more jigsaw blades and had a look at the drill. If I didn't already have a couple I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Looks like a solid bit of kit.

I've killed a number of cheapo lidl and aldi drills over the years. They don't last and are only suitable for really light occasional use.

has anyone ever used the 3 year guarantee? How do Lidl and aldi deal with these returns when they only really have these items on limited sale?

I'll freely admit that I probably am a bit of a tool snob. I'll rephrase that....I don't like buying cheap, buying twice and I've been caught out doing that a few times. It's actually a false economy really isn't it, since if the tool isn't fit for purpose then no amount of "cheapness" will compensate. However, with a 3 year warranty I have to say, you'd be almost mad not to try it given you're not actually taking any risk. So if, as common sense would probably suggest, some of these bargains are in fact simply from the "landfill range" you're going to get your money back anyway.

At those prices, power tools are venturing close to disposable territory, its insane when you consider what the battery longevity and charge time was (& overall cost) just 20 years ago. Where will it all end....I fought in two world wars etc etc

JJ1":35z4ljy8 said:
Where did you see them for £16, it mentions £20 in my instruction manual, not that I' m complaining at that price?
Just tried out the jigsaw and first impressions are very good indeed. It cuts through 18 MDF and 20mm oak like it wasn't even there, at any pendulum setting too.
Just popped back up to Lidl for some more jigsaw blades and had a look at the drill. If I didn't already have a couple I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Looks like a solid bit of kit.

On the drill box it says £15.95
Also 20 euros

Bob,

I buy cheap with my eyes open and consider the pros & cons

I bought the last lidl drill 8 years ago when I needed one in a hurry but 600 miles away from home.
I bought it for one job and expected it to die shortly after, so the 7 more years heavy thrashing was a bonus.

I bought a palm sander from Aldi about 4 years ago and try as I might I can't destroy it. (hammer)

Ali":2tdmx8lm said:
has anyone ever used the 3 year guarantee? How do Lidl and aldi deal with these returns when they only really have these items on limited sale?

I work on the assumption they are worthless
I think you have to deal with park side not the store

That's even more encouraging......not only are they almost free....some of them actually work as well for a perfectly acceptable amount of time. I'm starting to feel "stitched up" that I paid for known brands!!!

Random Orbital Bob":3bsc06zx said:
That's even more encouraging......not only are they almost free....some of them actually work as well for a perfectly acceptable amount of time. I'm starting to feel "stitched up" that I paid for known brands!!!
Do I note a hint of sarcasm :lol:

I understand that we all have different expectations from our tools. The way I am is that I like a workshop full of usable tools but I would be unable to afford to do this with all tools at the top end of price and quality.
I have some Parkside tools that I have bought in the past and have been happy with them so today I have purchased the drill and the circular saw the logic behind this is that I wont use the saw much but is handy to have but I get 2 batteries and chargers that can be used with both tools at a cost just shy of £80.
My first impressions of both tools is that they are both amazing value for money and each cost less than a replacement battery than most cordless tools in any price range.

Ali":1rp6p0dh said:

I have; I was directed to a company called Kompernaß, who seem to be behind Parkside and a couple of the other Lidl brands. They asked me to send them a copy of the receipt (via email, IIRC) and then sent out a replacement without so much as asking to see the original - no hassle, just a wait of a couple of weeks to get the replacement.

(They also have an online shop at the link above that sells spares for several of the items they provide for Lidl.)

lurker":33jkgprt said:
Random Orbital Bob":33jkgprt said:
Do I note a hint of sarcasm :lol:

Yes and no.....I mean of course the trade brands are better quality and will last longer but these bargain tools definitely have their place. As other posters have recorded, some are lasting 7 years with decent use. If they're making accurate cuts, you cant really argue with that can you? I think there was a time when the likes of B&Q made stuff out of plasticene and it put a lot of people off cheap tools. But both Lidl and Aldi seem to have hit upon a seem of tools where the balance between ridiculously cheap and decent enough to use has been struck.

Ali":1we612bi said:
I had to return a failed Parkside item last year (Dremel copy) and they simply paid a full refund against the original receipt. It seems the only practical way it can operate and quite fair to me.

Latest posts

Back