latest box turning....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
In true Blue Peter fashion.....

here's one i made earlier.....

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

still 'fiddling' about with different finishes at the mo. this one was 'simply' sealed then Woodwax'd

all comments welcomed.....

Nick

Nice Nick,

I like the very lightly domed over lid,

Loz

Simple and neat Nick, being spalted should also be a little more resistant to distorting as most of the wood has already succumbed to cell tension release.
Proportions might look a little better on future ones (addictive aren't they :lol: ) if the lid/body divide is nearer 1/3 -2/3 rule. also increases usable volume.

Like your choice of body tenon, lid socket, less chance of contents interfering with lid closure I find.

Thanks for the comments guys.....

Especially Mark, those few words mean so much to a beginner like me.

CHJ... you're right... they are addictive. My proportions are normally in the region of 1/3rd - 2/3rd's, but i think where i decided to leave the top on this one a little 'flatter' than usual the ratio sort of went out the window.... :D

as for the body tenon, and lid socket, i always do them that way..... oh, unless i don't......

IMG_2106b.jpg

Glad you all like anyway.....

Nick

Boxes :twisted: :twisted: I have turned 3 in 2 years that have remained OK. Just can't get them right. Yours look good, my respect to you and all others who do them

Pete

You could always try this wood Pete?

DSC08369.jpg

I found that it's got a 'ole already my boy!

Bamboo2.jpg

The top and bottom are ebony. It's the first time I've turned either bamboo or ebony and they are both lovely. I was given the ebony by a good friend before we moved over here. I'm still saving the bit I have for a special job

The Chinese character means 'needle' because it's a needle box. I have shown it on here before, but just incase you missed it?

Sorry about the photo quality.

:lol: :lol: I like that, neat and very effective. Why did you turn the bamboo? I am surprised it didn't split apart, it's very stringy stuff. I think I have some around the garden somewhere, might give it a whirl

Pete

The turning of it is very easy Pete. It had to be turned to get the collar for the top.

Stringy? Not when it is dry. It will split down the grain perfectly but with sharp tools it will turn beautifully. I have made bamboo boxes with both the body and the top and as I said you don't need to do the most difficult part because it's already hollow and only needs some light sanding. All you need to be careful of is to use something to hold the abrasive inside so that you don't unscrew your finger!

Sorry about the hijack of the thread...

Latest posts

Back