Laptop Recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a laptop. However, I'm not very well up on computers so I don't really know where to start.

From what I've read in previous posts on this site, I should look for:

Intel i5 or i7 processor
4+ GB of memory
Large hard drive (I do have a 500GB external hard drive already so so I don't need anything massive)
Good battery life

Quality speakers would be a bonus too.

Could anyone suggest a reputable brand/model I should look at? I don't care about aesthetics as long as it's reliable, easy to use and has a touchpad that works.

Also, I've seen the new Windows 8 advertised on TV but some people here have had some complaints about it, so what operating system should I go for?

Cheers,
Mark

Hi,

Go for a big name one we use HP at work and they seem to be reliable.

Forget good sound, there is no room to put decent speakers in a laptop, connect it to your HiFi.

Windows 8 seems to be a disappointment, we are upgrading from XP to win7 at the moment.

Pete

Pete

Hi

I used to be a big fan of Dell, I used them for both work and home. I've just replaced my home lappy and as I couldn't get a Dell with a large enough screen I went for a Lenovo. I like the Lenovo, the screen is particularly sharp.

My only regret - and its a very big one, is that it came loaded with Windows 8. I hate it with a passion, it's slow, forever crashing and I can't get on with the trend to run everything via icons and apps, (do Microsoft think we have trouble reading?). No start button - no close button on apps, I could go on but you get the idea. My old lappy used Vista, which often gets bad press, but it was infinitely better than the bag of sh*te that is Windows 8.

All in my opinion of course

Phew!! Mick

Whilst a lot of people have trouble getting used to the windows 8 interface, which is very and unnecessarily different. And it's true that metro apps are limited and don't have a close button. I've need heard anyone else complain that it's slow or unreliable. I would suggest you have a problem with your build, perhaps manufacturer bloatware or poor drivers. I've upgraded all my machines to win8 including a fairly old box that struggled with vista and they all run well. Still don't much like the interface though. I stay on the desktop with old style desktop apps most of the time.

Respectfully, Mark, are you sure you really need a laptop?

If it's for home instead of a desktop, I can see the point, but I've 'converted' to a tablet, and probably won't ever buy another laptop now.

I've had portable PCs since 1985 - mains luggables, then laptops, even Hewlett-Packard PC-DOS palmtops and Omnibooks with pop-out mice. I'm now convinced that's the horrible past I don't want to go back to!

It's true that I do need a PC, but I can do all the portable stuff on a Tablet, and a lot more, too.

And the best bit is that it's much, much cheaper to buy and own.

E.

I agree, Lenovo, the home branch of the IBM group make some superb laptops as do HP. The G series as here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/B9E60EA-Pavilio ... +7+laptops

Or a Samsung i5 here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series- ... +7+laptops

both are worth considering.

I agree, Win 8 is a pile of poo!

The problem now is the choice of Win 7 laptops is getting restricted, and they have a premium on the price due to the cr@p released on nearly all new PC's today. I sell only Win 7 gear in my shop and I don't know of a single business that uses or is even contemplating using Win 8.

Phil

Mac. Cost more but easier to use, work better and last longer. Cheaper in the long run and much nicer to use.

I was considering a laptop as we're going to the States in July and we'll need it while we're there. Plus our aging Dell desktop will need replacing in the next year or so anyway so this seems like the perfect time.

I've had a look at the Mac website but I don't think I can justify spending £999 on a Macbook Pro.

Apart from the extra portability and lower price, what can a tablet do which a laptop can't?

Phil - That Lenovo looks good. However, would a laptop with the i5 or i7 processor be noticeably faster than the i3 processor fitted to that Lenovo?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mark

Hi

My Lenovo G780 has an i7 processor

and 8 gig of RAM and it is slower than my work lappy running XP. I'm in the process of uninstalling the dross, (apps), it came pre loaded with. I'm fairly sure I'll end up biting the bullet and loading an earlier version of Windows.

Regards Mick

Tablets: some can connect directly to 3G/4G services (about £100 extra). Most of the good ones have GPS, accelerometers and really decent cameras (video and stills), but basically most of the *portable* functionality of a laptop can be done just as well on a tablet. They don't run Windows which is *probably* a security advantage. Applications are *much* cheaper.

If you use Android, you can connect external keyboards and mice (Bluetooth), and get at files easily to and from a PC. It's not quite so easy on an iPad, as the operating system pretends it doesn't understand the idea of a 'file' and complicates matters, but a standard Apple Bluetooth keyboard works pretty well (actually slightly better on my Android one!).

iPads, Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab, and Google Nexus tablets all have very good screens indeed, with better-than-HDTV quality. I watch the Grands Prix on my Galaxy Note 10.1 (or her iPad) and can watch in HD (depends on the connection). There's enough storage for several films, and bucketloads of music if you want.

The Galaxy Note has infra red, meaning it can work as a TV remote control (annoys the kids, that).

I use Direct Office Print (on the Android) meaning I can print to pretty much any printer that's visible on the network. It's available for the iPad too, I think, and works fairly well.

Both have quite long battery life - about three days irregular use or four to five hours continuous. Mine uses about 25% of the battery on a 1 1/2 our Grand Prix highlights programme.

The Android does handwriting recognition really well (good enough to use for real work), and the stylus is great. I use a graphics tablet instead of a mouse on the PC so I'm used to them, and I find it fast. Only drawback is that it makes poor use of the button on the side, but that's just poor coding.

Almost forgot Dropbox and Google Drive, for moving files into the 'cloud' and back to a PC or Tablet. Basic storage is free, and it works.

They're not a replacement for the main home PC. I'd say laptops aren't either, but many people do that nowadays, so I'm outnumbered there. But having had one since Christmas and used it for work as well as play, I'm not going back to a laptop unless there's a really compelling reason.

If you do get a laptop, have a look at Asus. they aren't that well known as a brand, but the company makes for many of the big names, including Apple HP, IBM, Dell and some others, I think. I've always found their lower-spec machines to be exceptionally good value (bought two in the past), and they're very compatible with few oddities.

Also checkout offers on sites like scan.co.uk. I've bought from them on and off for about 15 years - thr Today Only offers can be pretty good value, sometimes including laptops.

Stay away from cheap Android tablets though - mainstream brands only. Samsung and Google Nexus have the best support, for applications and problem-free operating systems. Some of the cheapies are rough round the edges and aren't worth it.

My recent laptop is a Toshiba i5 (17") not the one above it's a sat L875-12V. Has 8gb ram and 1tb hdd. It came with win 8 which I tried for a couple of months and hated. I've now ditched all the cr*p and installed win7 (64 bit - needed if over 4gb ram) and it's much more stable and a lot faster. IE doesn't chrash now as it did constantly with win8.

This is my 3rd Toshiba and all have been excellent and are still being used as I gave 1 to my wife and the other to my daughter.

We're taking my wifes ipad as well as our galaxy S4s to Canada instead of the laptop and as it doesn't have a usb port, I'm not at all conviced. I like to back up my photos and video and it's not an easy job with the pad.

Bob

buy a lenovo Idea pad 8 gb ram when ur in america best buy will get u a really good laptop for cheap money.

Biggest drawback with tablets is the lack of a keyboard. Yes you can buy a separate keyboard but then it's something else to have to carry about.

You don't need a Macbook Pro. The Macbook is pretty good.

If you just look at the initial price of the mac then you are not comparing apples with apples. You have to look at the Total Cost of Ownership. That mac laptop is still going to be running as well as it did before long after you are on your third PC type laptop. And you don;t really have to worry about viruses etc which also means that it will run much faster because it isn't wasting CPU cycles and memory with all that anti-virus dross.

If you are getting a Windows 8 computer and don't want to use the tiled 'metro' tiled interface (or whatever it is now called) then providing you have the Pro or higher version of W8 you also have the W7 desktop type interface also available. You can install a free program like 'Classic Shell' that lets you boot into the desktop and adds the 'start button' back.

The tiled interface is really designed for touch screen computers, and although you can use a mouse it can be a PITA with some programs.

Misterfish

RogerS":m4i2zeqo said:
If you just look at the initial price of the mac then you are not comparing apples with apples. You have to look at the Total Cost of Ownership. That mac laptop is still going to be running as well as it did before long after you are on your third PC type laptop. .....
Which makes them exceptional value 2nd hand. My wife just replaced her ancient G4 with a white Macbook recon for £150. The G4 is still going strong but not enough memory but will be good for a standby for a few years to come.

RogerS":2y56isn4 said:
You don't need a Macbook Pro. The Macbook is pretty good.
They don't make plain MacBooks any more Rog - just MB Air and MB Pro. You can make some savings on Apple kit by buying refurbs from their store - typically around 15% cheaper and with full warranty. Also, don't underestimate the benefit of the Apple Store network - you can walk into a store and try any of the devices they sell, get 1:1 advice and training, repairs etc... Teenage daughter away at Uni managed to fritz the HD in her MacBook, went to the Apple store who replaced the HD and restored her data while she waited; I don't think you'd get service liket hat from any other company. But you pay for that kind of service and attention to detail up front, and if you don't want to spend that kind of money then fair enough.

As others have pointed out, the overall reaction to Windows 8 has been so negative that you'll end up paying a premium for a laptop with Windows 7, and if you do end up with Windows 8... let's just say that there's a learning curve. Like EricTV above, I'm probably doing 96% of my computer stuff on a tablet now - iPad for me, but no reason it couldn't be something else - so perhaps that's a direction you might want to look at? I haven't had a 'desktop' as my main computer for over a decade, and I'm finding fewer reasons to use my laptop.

FWIW I can type faster on an iPad's 'virtual' keyboard than I can on my laptop, and I routinely get ~14 hours of mixed use (browsing, writing, invoicing, email, music or video streaming with bluetooth and wifi on) from a charge, which is pretty amazing - though I've had 16 hours of light use on more than a few occasions!

HTH Pete

I'm tryping this on a MacBook Pro and wouldn't go back to a Microsaft maching again. The track pad is a dream to use, the keyboard is back lit and easy to use in low light conditions and the battery life is at least 7 hours of normal use.

I have just updated both our MB and iMac desktop to the latest operating system, Mountain Lion, going up 2 levels for the princely sum of about £12 (19$ if I remember correctly) and that covers any maching on the router. So not so expensive after all?

Apples are no more or less reliable than other brands these days. It's the same component manufacturers, the same PCAs, the same assembly plants (for subassemblies). And, unless you buy from John Lewis, the same short warranties, too. I've mended G3 and G4 machines with hardware problems common to all PCs of those years, and I know that later models are far from problem-free. Maintaining them has got a lot harder recently, as cases don't yield to the usual tools - plastic has to be carefully deformed, clips bent, etc. It's all very iffy.

My wife's G3 tower has been totally bombproof, for almost 14 years, but it's now well obsolete. I am really nervous about her replacing it with a current iMac, as, despite the looks and the excellent O/S, I really don't like the manufacturing philosophy and the build quality. This isn't dumb prejudice: I've used Macs myself since around 1992, and had one on my desk for work (alongside a PC and a UNIX box) for over ten years. We still have three in the house in regular use.

But I had a nasty Apple experience about four months ago: an iOs update on my wife's iPad3, bought directly from Apple, went wrong, cutting off her email access. Every other Apple machine we've bought came from John Lewis, with 2 year warranty. This time, Apple support told us: a. It was out of warranty so they wouldn't help, b. they wouldn't roll back the "upgrade" because it was company policy (they initially said it was technically impossible - an untruth). In short, no longer fit for purpose, but tough luck. Needless to say, I stuck with it, and they found an 'undocumented' fix. It was entirely their cock-up, with inadequate pre-release testing.

That experience told me all I need to know about the new-style, mega-profitable company Apple now is. I will be VERY careful about how and what I buy from them in the future.

Back