Jet JDP8 Drill Press - First Impressions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
After deciding to buy Axminster's bottom of the range drill press they cranked the price up over 15% in the new year so I decided to go for the Jet JDP-8 from elsewhere (Axminster price with drill bit set: £170, pretty much everyone else: £130).

I was after a basic drill press for the bench top, and wanted something a little bit better than the £60-70 silverline/Hilka clone thing.

I thought by paying a little bit more, I would be getting something a bit more durable and well made.

I was wrong. This drill press is embarrassingly bad.

Negative:

- castings are rougher than badger's proverbials
- loads of play in the quill
- truly awful switch gear and plastic fittings
- rusty bits where bolts/fixings attach
- grease slopped randomly on various bits
- the colour - I thought Jet stuff was supposed to be 'off white' ? - this thing is basically nicotine yellow

Positive:

- errr...it came with a free vice?

So, after putting most of it together yesterday, today I decided I might use. After opening the garage door and looking at it, I thought 'life's too short to deal with this' so I have packed it back up and I'll be paying postage to return it.

Apparently this thing is made in Switzerland. Which might explain something, because with labour rates that result in you paying 12 euros for basic ham sandwich, you really getting what you pay for in Swiss terms.

If you are thinking of this drill press, give it a very wide berth...

I think youl find they are made in China I bought a Jet JDP-17 FM From Axminster when they were selling a batch on Ebay It seems reasonably well made

themackay":nb2ohjib said:
I think youl find they are made in China I bought a Jet JDP-17 FM From Axminster when they were selling a batch on Ebay It seems reasonably well made

This thing has Switzerland stamped on it. You could be right though.

I notice they don't even list the jdp8 on the Jet site - probably too embarrassed to own up to it.

Not sure if it's the same model but they bought a JET bench drill at work a couple of years back. Terrible finish, poor quality fittings and noisy. The table look like it had been fly-cut very quickly with a blunt cutter. The column a was surprisingly cheap tube with a wall thickness of about 3mm!

Any idea what you will look at now? I'm looking at spending a similar amount, and appreciate your review.

I've been looking at the Record Power DP16B but dont know if it is good enough spec. Did this feature in any research you did before buying the Jet?

There's no substitute for actually going and looking at the machine and checking it out, even if you do eventually buy it online. Have a look at the RP unit and also consider Warco.

I spent less than half that amount on a used Fobco star last year that is absolutely fantastic in just about all respects. Given the same circumstances I would do the same again.

memzey":1y4chdxy said:
I spent less than half that amount on a used Fobco star last year that is absolutely fantastic in just about all respects. Given the same circumstances I would do the same again.

Apparently they don't make them anymore. There is a beat up one on eBay at the moment. It is three-phase. I don't have three phase.

I think I will try a Scheppach or a Rexon next.

EDIT:

I have gone with this now:

http://www.rexonspares.co.uk/9-230mm-be ... laser.html

It is cheaper. So at least if it is as bad as the Jet, I haven't paid as much.

Depending on the motor you can run a three phase motor on a single phase supply quite cheaply.

Selsdon_PJS":3nidyx1i said:
Any idea what you will look at now? I'm looking at spending a similar amount, and appreciate your review.

I've been looking at the Record Power DP16B but dont know if it is good enough spec. Did this feature in any research you did before buying the Jet?

Well, I have just bought a Rexon DP2300AL and took it out of its box today.

Night and day difference to the Jet. Castings are much higher quality, paint is chip free and accurately applied, switch gear is much better fitted and of higher quality.

It was cheaper than the Jet as well.

I bought it from Rexon Spares in the UK and it was brand new in the box - I assume the real Rexon is now defunct, and they are just selling what spares and stock remain...

Will post some impressions later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

@ Bodgers:

I'd be the last one to "defend" high Swiss prices (I suffer from them on a daily basis!), but to say a ham sandwich costs CHF 12.00 here is not accurate, even at the present exchange rates - unless you were stuck at one of the major airports I suppose. CHF 6 to 8 would be more like normal.

And it's not impossible, but even if it does say Switzerland on your Jet drill, I very much doubt that it was made here - there were a few small tool manufacturers here but they've virtually disappeared years ago (apart from Lamello, which you certainly couldn't call cheap!). Switzerland is noted for "high value-added", such as precision machining to give just one example, so I can't imagine that a cheap pillar drill would "qualify" for the label and I very much doubt it was made here completely.

Anyway, if it helps, I bought a Rexxon drill from a Swiss DIY Emporium about 10+ years ago, made in China as I think all Rexxons are now, and apart from being a slightly larger model than yours, it looks very similar. It's had a goodly amount of use and it's been very accurate (after initial set up) and completely reliable. About the only "complaint" I have is that it's a PITA getting up on a stool to change the belts to change speeds, but I knew that when I bought it and couldn't afford an electronic, so I have no real grounds for complaint.

I hope yours works out as well as mine has.

Krgds
AES

AES":1pyelgx2 said:
@ Bodgers:

I'd be the last one to "defend" high Swiss prices (I suffer from them on a daily basis!), but to say a ham sandwich costs CHF 12.00 here is not accurate, even at the present exchange rates - unless you were stuck at one of the major airports I suppose. CHF 6 to 8 would be more like normal.

And it's not impossible, but even if it does say Switzerland on your Jet drill, I very much doubt that it was made here - there were a few small tool manufacturers here but they've virtually disappeared years ago (apart from Lamello, which you certainly couldn't call cheap!). Switzerland is noted for "high value-added", such as precision machining to give just one example, so I can't imagine that a cheap pillar drill would "qualify" for the label and I very much doubt it was made here completely.

Anyway, if it helps, I bought a Rexxon drill from a Swiss DIY Emporium about 10+ years ago, made in China as I think all Rexxons are now, and apart from being a slightly larger model than yours, it looks very similar. It's had a goodly amount of use and it's been very accurate (after initial set up) and completely reliable. About the only "complaint" I have is that it's a PITA getting up on a stool to change the belts to change speeds, but I knew that when I bought it and couldn't afford an electronic, so I have no real grounds for complaint.

I hope yours works out as well as mine has.

Krgds
AES

My experiences of Swiss ham sandwiches are from motorway service stations, so possibly I am being influenced by their even higher prices. When I have been to Switzerland in the past (I was there last summer) it has usually been on the way to Italy and I try my best to avoid spending money there.

I think you are right, despite it mentioning 'Switzerland' all over the box, I think this thing bears more than a passing resemblance to a lot of other Chinese drill presses sold here (Charnwood look to have one almost the same). So it is most likely Chinese built clone that Jet have decided to 'rebadge' - and they really shouldn't have, this de-values the brand.

I'm sure Swiss manufacturing would be embarrassed to produce such a piece of junk.

Interesting info on your Rexon...thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whatever your Jet drill was like I am sure it couldn't be worse than my NuTool. It was bought as a present for me about 12 years ago, cost about £50. Value? well I suppose it's reasonable value at £50 but you really do get what you pay for in this instance. I can see the drill bit move off vertical as soon as I apply pressure, which does not have to be much because that would stall the motor. It drills holes, that's about it. No guts, no accuracy, just holes. I'd love a Fobco or a Startrite or similar.

K

phil.p":29l59cg7 said:
Bodgers - why do you assume the real Rexon is defunct?
Well, the only place you can buy it from in the UK is a place called "Recon Spares". The manual that came with it has a sticker over the official Euro distributor (which no longer exists).

They do seem to have an official site, but it looks very Asia-focused.

As far as Europe is concerned, they have no official presence...

Back