UKWorkshop Woodworking Forums

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 16:15 
Participant

For Christmas I treated myself to a Triton TRA001 for my first router table build. I will be building a cabinet regardless but can't decide whether to build in the TWX7 module or go for the Incra insert plate with a kitchen counter offcut?

I'm thinking the TWX7 surface will be better (flatter and lower friction) plus it has a fence and some fixings. The Incra insert plate will be less likely to flex or sag and is more easily removable (not that I plan on taking the router out of the table frequently).

Any advise or alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated especially from those who have used any of the above.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Digg
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 16:35 
Valued Contributor

FWIW, I've been eyeing up an Incra plate for some time, on the recommendations of Peter Sefton and Steve Maskery.

If you go down that route, Peter also sells a ready-made template for the opening, made of thick MRMDF, intended for a bearing-guided cutter. I'll be doing that, too. My router is a T11, but it's mostly an above-table cutter change (not quite the Triton slickness, but I like it).

I should add, I presently have an 8mm thick aluminium plate, professionally drilled for the T11. It's pretty good, but ideally I'd like it to be more rigid (the Incra one is 10mm, IIRC). I also really like the idea of steel inserts - that's where most of the wear happens.

Two things have been holding me back: funds (not the cheapest solution, and I'd like to be able to afford cutters, too!), and that originally Incra didn't have their plate drilled suitably for the T11. I had the present plate done commercially, and it is excellent but was expensive to get done. An undrilled Incra plate with "local modification" would have been quite a bit more expensive than a factory made one. But now it's OK, as they've modified the pattern they have (for the T11), so i'm told it's spot-on.

E.

[edit]I should say that I have no experience of the other route you mention, so I'm not saying "do this" in comparison.[/edit]

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 20:21 
Settled in Member

I used the twx7 table in my router table build. Very happy with it.
Image20170212_130538

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 21:57 
Regular Contributor

Parto

The Incra 7518 T is now pre drilled ready for the Triton routers with above the table winder systems, the TRA-001 uses the rear hole and the MOF-001 uses the front hole and has all the fixing holes ready for fixing the router too. The TRA is a good size and heavy router that needs from a sturdy router plate and table top.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the Incra and would be happy to send one out for you to look at, I think the magna plates are the thing that sets Incra above all the others.

If you are going to make your own top and need any guidance just let us know. PM me if you would to see the 7518 T

Cheers Peter

Practice makes perfect - but a good tip from one who knows saves timber, time and tools

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.com

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/woodworkersworkshop/

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 23:09 
Participant

Thanks for the offer Peter I have no doubts about the quality based on other forum members reviews.

TFrench your build looks excellent. Have you experienced any issues with the mounting plate? I've heard it is quite thin (<2mm) and can flex a little causing chatter.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2018, 18:09 
Settled in Member

I haven't noticed any flex to be honest.