Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By bp122
Thank you all for your help with this.

Moved by the "Pask makes" video, I tried my own.
And I made my first DIY shop tools!

20191026_094700.jpg
20191026_094642.jpg
By Trainee neophyte
I've been lurking on the bog-oak table thread, and MikeG has inspired me, not with the table, oddly, but with the holdfast shown above, and also his gorgeous mallet.

Not saying the table isn't brilliant, because it is, but I couldn't possibly aspire to that. The holdfast and mallet, on the other hand...

New year's list is 1 mallet, one holdfast, and one bench to put the holdfast into. How hard could it be? I am already eying up bits of firewood that may be suitable.
By Chris Knight
I can thoroughly recommend Gramercy holdfasts. Made in the USA and stocked by Diter Schmid in Germany for €22.90 each at present

https://www.fine-tools.com/holdfast.html

I have had a pair since 2010 and use them in a bench that is 110mm thick. They both fix and release very easily with a whack for my deadblow hammer.
By bp122
Trainee neophyte wrote:I've been lurking on the bog-oak table thread, and MikeG has inspired me, not with the table, oddly, but with the holdfast shown above, and also his gorgeous mallet.

Not saying the table isn't brilliant, because it is, but I couldn't possibly aspire to that. The holdfast and mallet, on the other hand...

New year's list is 1 mallet, one holdfast, and one bench to put the holdfast into. How hard could it be? I am already eying up bits of firewood that may be suitable.
Not a bad list at all.

I found the entire process very enjoyable. Although, I didn't have my drill press at the time so mucked up the hole for the dowel and drilled it at an angle with a Forster bit on my cordless drill, as a result it doesn't sit straight but still works.

Making things is so much fun. *Gasm alert*