Fixing an Inca 205 Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've put this in the General section as it's a woodworking tool, although all the fixing is going to be metalwork. Mods, please feel free to move the thread at your discretion.

A few months ago, Doris bought a bandsaw:

inca-205-bandsaw-what-s-missing-t103536.html

We knew it had bits missing (upper guides, mostly) so it was a bit of a gamble, but a more serious problem has presented itself. I set it up with a blade just to see how it runs. There was a lot of vibration and very quickly the blade ran off the wheels. The tracking adjustment was fine but the lower wheel had come loose on its shaft. We found that the washer holding the wheel onto the motor shaft had buckled because it was too thin. Therefore there was no tension on the screw. It doesn't help that Incas turn "backwards" (i.e. anti-clockwise) compared to a regular bandsaw.

A95343A8-90F3-410B-AA4D-96BE44319FE5.jpg

This was replaced with a new stout washer around 3mm thick:

899FD976-9BF8-4698-969E-0AECACA5BEA7.jpg

This stopped the wheel coming loose, but the vibration remained.

I tested the rim of the wheel with a dial gauge and found around 0.013" radial runout, and 0.035" axial runout (both measured with the tyre removed):

FCACE235-5E2C-4880-9E6B-E750A4A63A43.jpg

The motor shaft itself is dead on, and runs smooth when the wheel is removed. Suspecting a twisted wheel, I put it on a surface plate and gauged it again. It's not perfect, but it's fairly close:

7D923787-45B3-4523-995C-9C20A9EC8D51.jpg

In the process I discovered that my parallels aren't matched (one is 0.004" taller than the other) so I need to double check this.

The wheel also has some play on the shaft, rather than being a sliding fit. Apart from having a wonky shaped hole, it is also bell-mouthed towards the rear. Measurements to follow.

Now my plan is to mount the wheel onto a faceplate on the lathe, get the rim running true, bore out the wonky centre hole, plug it and re-bore it. Alternatively to plugging it, I could just bore it and turn an adapter sleeve.

Onwards and upwards.....

This is fun! and an excellent justification for having all those interesting engineering bits and pieces. I'll be watching and learning. Also applauding the idea that anything mechanical can be fixed, not chucked out.

I think that i responded to your original thread about this saw. Although i can't give you an answer to​ the problem you now have i have had the exact same saw from new and if i can help with details just let me know.
I have both the Inca and a kity 613 and it is my opinion that they are the best saws of there size ever made but they both need setting up differently to the advice given by the so called experts.

DTR":s3rjv7t0 said:
Now my plan is to mount the wheel onto a faceplate on the lathe, get the rim running true, bore out the wonky centre hole, plug it and re-bore it. Alternatively to plugging it, I could just bore it and turn an adapter sleeve.

Onwards and upwards.....
I personally would just go for a light press fit sleeve, save all the need for fitting press fit bung and re-aligning wheel for boring out, don't think absolute concentricity is require for this repair (cast wheel is not going to be that perfect anyway)
Suggest there would be more gain in attempting to balance wheel before you fit it back if you can hand spin it between a couple of centres.

powertools":dah61yuc said:
I think that i responded to your original thread about this saw. Although i can't give you an answer to​ the problem you now have i have had the exact same saw from new and if i can help with details just let me know.
I have both the Inca and a kity 613 and it is my opinion that they are the best saws of there size ever made but they both need setting up differently to the advice given by the so called experts.

Thanks powertools, I appreciate that. How do you set yours up differently?

CHJ":dah61yuc said:
I personally would just go for a light press fit sleeve, save all the need for fitting press fit bung and re-aligning wheel for boring out, don't think absolute concentricity is require for this repair (cast wheel is not going to be that perfect anyway)
Suggest there would be more gain in attempting to balance wheel before you fit it back if you can hand spin it between a couple of centres.

How do you suggest I balance it? I presume some kind of weight(s) added inside the rim, by trial and improvement?

No plan survives contact with the enemy...

I mounted the wheel on the faceplate and got it running true:

BE5068AA-9D76-40F5-B256-87B25A0E3C59.jpg

I started boring but quickly realised there was no clearance at the back of the bore. Had I continued, I would have driven the tool into the lathe's spindle nose. Fortunately I noticed before any damage was done.

I tried using thicker spacers behind the wheel but then found it wouldn't fit in the lathe's gap. Such is the life of a small lathe owner. Off to the mill...

I mounted the wheel on the mill's table and indicated it true to the spindle axis:

8E8DF05C-1073-4D58-9692-197AE065F0EC.jpg

Luckily I had some spare stock to use as a impractically long indicator arm. Then I bored out the centre with a boring head:

038F7FB9-70D8-41DA-9F0B-CA727B327D6E.jpg

In hindsight this turned out to easier than trying to do it on the lathe. For what it's worth, the boring has revealed some air pockets in the casting. They're visible but not very clear in this photo:

B842FE2D-00F7-43E0-AAB6-C20768C90B29.jpg

Next up will be the insert.

Sweet 8)

I get the feeling you might end up making bandsaw parts for the masses before this ones out :mrgreen:

From new the Inca bandsaw was a well made machine it didn't have crowned wheels to compensate for poor manufacturing the wheels and tyres are flat and the blade runs with the teeth just overhanging the front of the wheels.

DTR":2a1zdvox said:
How do you suggest I balance it? I presume some kind of weight(s) added inside the rim, by trial and improvement?
Quite often you see an arc of drilled indents on the heavy side.

powertools":36t5gjtq said:
From new the Inca bandsaw was a well made machine it didn't have crowned wheels to compensate for poor manufacturing the wheels and tyres are flat and the blade runs with the teeth just overhanging the front of the wheels.

That's interesting, this one has crowned tyres. The tyres have a key (for want of a better term) around the inside that fits in a groove around the rim of the wheel. I have to assume it's either original, or the bandsaw's been fitted with aftermarket wheels for some reason.

Robbo3":36t5gjtq said:
Quite often you see an arc of drilled indents on the heavy side.

The wheels were originally balanced that way, but as I've re-bored the spindle hole it's quite possible that the balance has changed. Or maybe it was never right in the first place :-k Either way, I think AES's suggestion of weights is the quickest and easiest fix.

Ttrees":36t5gjtq said:
I get the feeling you might end up making bandsaw parts for the masses before this ones out :mrgreen:

I hope not, one's enough! Two if you include all the broken bits I replaced on my Draper #-o

Far as I know Dave (which is not far, think wandering into the kitchen to make a cup of tea rather than walking the Pennine Way) all incas came uncrowned with flat tyres. Course. I could be wrong. Milk and two sugars?

Hmm, curiouser and curiouser. No sugar thanks, I'm sweet enough

Bit of an update:

The insert sleeve has been fitted:

E57C0766-D6CB-4203-B206-55CC3729E7ED.jpg

The wheel now runs a lot better and the bandsaw doesn't vibrate all over the place. I'll call that a success :)

When I bored out the centre hole, I also trued up the front and rear faces of the centre boss. To make up for the lost thickness, I added a spacer made from an M12 washer. I bored the hole out to 14mm (with a step-drill in a hand brace!) and filed out the keyway, then milled it down thinner:

0D078EA0-524C-4B6F-8CEA-03DCD594242A.jpg

Contrary to my previous ramblings, the tyres are not crowned. I don't know where I got that idea from :-k

Next up will be some new guides....

Thanks to the decimation caused by photobucket, here's a few photos as a recap:

Started with wonky, ill-fitting hole so bored a new one:

35381811573_6bd433557a_z.jpg

Turned a sleeve to fit the new bore to the spindle:

36185811415_b2391d59d2_z.jpg

Made a thin spacer to push the wheel out. It was made from an M12 washer, thinned down, bored out to 14mm and filed a keyway:

35796145580_9ac9f1b032_z.jpg

Made a think retaining washer to hold the wheel on:

36185900075_613910a22e_z.jpg

Now for more recent progress!

Made a new lower thrust bearing to replace the missing one:

36052875251_312d0b8368_z.jpg

As the complete upper guide assembly and rise & fall is missing, I've started from scratch. Here's the new upper guides:

35796127590_7df40dcd19_z.jpg

35439981864_493d709838_z.jpg

Unusually for me, I actually did a drawing before I started:

36231236186_a2b1f756a1_z.jpg

A block to take the new rise & fall assembly:

36139286111_fa4587d686_z.jpg

And preparing to bore the new block:

36272571165_70bfb50ce6_z.jpg

That's it for now........

Keep at it Dave =D>
Gonna' be a good one when finished, those guides are looking great my friend :D

n0legs":3e5qxp1f said:
Keep at it Dave =D>

Yep, too right. Like your style Dave. Keep us posted mate. I love the fact you're using all them brains, a huge lathe and however many hours of work to fix that lil Inca. Kinda sums things up neatly if you know what I mean. :D Might not be the most judicious approach to some but to others it's perfectly and suitably fitting. Bit like that guide in a way. (hammer)

Cheers
Chris

Thanks chaps :)

n0legs":1431fshj said:
Keep at it Dave =D>
Bm101":1431fshj said:
....a huge lathe and however many hours of work to fix that lil Inca. Kinda sums things up neatly if you know what I mean. :D Might not be the most judicious approach...

Ha, that's one way of putting it :hammer: I prefer not to think about the economics of it....

Back