First Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaxWorks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around here for a while and finally after moving into our new house I have a decent sized garage (6m x 3m) to turn into a workshop, so I've decided to take the plunge and get started with my first project.

I've read a number of posts which say that a workbench is usually a good start for a first project, so I've drafted up some plans in SketchUp for a workbench which I was hoping to get some advice on.

ScreenHunter 330.png

I've gone for a slightly modified Ron Paulk type bench, with a more dedicated base on casters as I won't be taking this out of the garage anytime soon, but as I plan on using this as an outfeed table / assembly table / general workbench I thought it would be useful for it to be mobile, at least around the garage. My only main concern is the upright supports. I plan on making the full frame from 2x4's, but wasn't sure if the 4 uprights would be enough to support the full table. Everything else I plan on making from 12mm ply. I wasn't planning on putting the full grid of holes into the top yet, as I'm torn between that and a T-track system for clamping.

I suppose I'm just looking for any advice, or potentially for someone to tell me that I'm being ridiculous and just drop the torsion box and stick to a bunch of 2x4's with some plywood on the top.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Thanks

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 330.png
    ScreenHunter 330.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,572
Well I've decided to change the plans already...

ScreenHunter 331.png

Moved the legs to the outside and added some further 2x6's to help with the upright support and make adding the shelf easier. Also wondering what consideration I might need to take when thinking about what type of timber to use for this? Was just planning on using standard construction grade timber from a local timber yard.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 331.png
    ScreenHunter 331.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,542
You don't seem to have much support in the centre of the two oval hole in either end. I think you would be better to have two holes in each end to support the middle of the short end. As for wood choice, you could make the whole thing out of 18mm plywood.

The second version looks sturdier.
Don't think too much about it. Just build it. I'm sure it will be fine.
You can always add a brace or 2 if need be later on.

Definitely 2 holes each end rather than one.
And when you get the castors, make sure you buy ones suitable for the all up weight of the table, machinery, and half ton of junk you store inside it.
Work out the weight of the finished table, add machinery and tools etc, then divide by 4, and then round up to the next big number. If that weight comes out big, then put another 2 castors in the middle, but only as long as your workshop floor is pretty flat, or else youll get a rocking motion.
If you dont, the castors will flatten at the bottom in a matter of weeks and the table wont roll anywhere.

A slightly more expensive way is to buy the castors that fold up when the table is in use, allowing 4 solid feet on the ground.

You sure you want to make something as big as this for your FIRST project? :D

Thanks for all the advice :D

MickCheese":3fr9fsha said:
You don't seem to have much support in the centre of the two oval hole in either end. I think you would be better to have two holes in each end to support the middle of the short end.

Good point, but looking at the pictures for the actual Paulk bench which is the same size, there's only one hole on the shorter ends. I might give the single hole a go as it's looking like I should have enough plywood left over to redo them if it becomes an issue. I'll just refrain from using any glue for the torsion box until I can test the strength and see if it will be an issue.

dzj":3fr9fsha said:
Don't think too much about it. Just build it. I'm sure it will be fine.

I have a bad habit of overthinking / over-planning, I think you're right, in the time it's taken me to think about it I probably could have already built it.

sunnybob":3fr9fsha said:
Definitely 2 holes each end rather than one.
And when you get the castors, make sure you buy ones suitable for the all up weight of the table, machinery, and half ton of junk you store inside it.

The casters I'm looking at are listed as having a capacity of 75kg per wheel, I would think that should be enough?

sunnybob":3fr9fsha said:
You sure you want to make something as big as this for your FIRST project? :D

Part of the reason I chose the design of the bench was mainly due to the fact that it all seems fairly straight forward, just butt joints for the frame and all I should be able to manage the whole thing with a circular saw, jig saw and drill. I'm sure I'll find out pretty quickly if I've been over ambitious! (hammer)

Takes up a lot of space though at 1m deep though....

I have 5.2m X 3m and that would eat into way too much space for me.

If this is your only bench and you are using at as an actual MFT setup and not just a glorified assembly table I suppose it might be good.

Thing with this Paulk design is that the guy who designed it is a USA based contractor. If you are based in a small UK shop and don't use all the Festool style contractor gear I'm not sure it has the same sort of value.

I've tried to get an idea of size in the garage to see just how much space it's going to take up, and as it's going to be an MFT I thought the size might be ok with the fact that it's going to be the main work surface for the whole workshop. I might lay out a rough frame before I make too many cuts and see if that gives me a better idea of size, I can always cut it down from there if needed.

It could just be the fact that the rest of the garage is almost empty with no other shop furniture in there yet, so you're right in the sense that I could end up regretting the width of it later on down the line.

Bodgers":1p6oduau said:
Takes up a lot of space though at 1m deep though....

Thanks for the advice Bodgers, I had another look and put together a quick mock up of the garage with some tools and benches thrown in to see what kind of space I had either side, and it does look pretty tight at 1m deep. I think dropping it down to 750mm might be a better option:

ScreenHunter 333.png

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 333.png
    ScreenHunter 333.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,381
What material are you using to make the man in the polo shirt? That's Ron Paulk, I assume? Is he a 2-D cutout or will he be fully 3-D?

Sorry, couldn't resist!! :lol:

Seriously though, have you seen Matt Estlea's channel on YouTube?
He's in the process of knocking up a sort-of similar multi-function table, probably with a Parf system and the like. Might give you some additional ideas....

As an alternative, take a look at Timothy Wilmot's MFTCwhich you could pack away into a small space when not in use but you could ad as many extension tables as you required.

And no, festool equipment is not a requirement.

Tasky":3dtopgbk said:
What material are you using to make the man in the polo shirt? That's Ron Paulk, I assume? Is he a 2-D cutout or will he be fully 3-D?

I'm sure if Ron Paulk watched me build this bench he'd slowly end up losing his mind.

Tasky":3dtopgbk said:
Seriously though, have you seen Matt Estlea's channel on YouTube?
He's in the process of knocking up a sort-of similar multi-function table, probably with a Parf system and the like. Might give you some additional ideas....

Watched some of his videos last night, definitely some great tips on there. If I do decide to do the Parf holes I'll definitely be buying that jig he showcased.

ScaredyCat":3dtopgbk said:
As an alternative, take a look at Timothy Wilmot's MFTCwhich you could pack away into a small space when not in use but you could ad as many extension tables as you required.

Looks like a great idea, just not sure I need anything as mobile as that. I can also see it being a bit too complicated for a first project.

Thanks for the advice :)

Hi Pax, a workbench is a great first project to have a crack at. Don't get to hung up on the details or the type of joinery at this point, just get yourself some materials and go for it.

To put it into perspective, my work bench is two timber frames made from old bits of pine with 18mm MDF tops. They are both 4' x 2' in plan but I joined them together with a few screws to make one long work surface. It get hammered on, chiselled into, drilled into, the circular saw cuts grooves into it and covered in paint and glue. It doesn't matter though, its a work surface in my workshop not a piece of furniture in my home. I find that it would ruin my work flow to have to find something to put under my work piece to protect the worktop every time I drill or cut something. Every so often I'll sand the worst marks/lumps of glue off and fill the holes with filler then its good to go again.

I've built loads of projects on it and getting a bit soppy I like to think that every one of those scars tells a bit of a story. Remember whatever you make now you will likely change at some point in the future once you find what works for you and the sort of things you like to make.

Well I've made a start at least, went to the local timber merchants and picked up the 2x4's and 2x6 for the frames and legs.

Done all of the cuts for the frame, just waiting on my new Kreg jig to show up so I can get it all put together using pocket holes:

IMG-0528.JPG

Once the frames are screwed together I can get the legs put on, as well as the casters. Then I just need to order the plywood (no way that's fitting in my mondeo) so I can get started on the torsion box.

Attachments

• IMG-0528.JPG
    IMG-0528.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,114
A bit more progress, the frame is now complete and on it's wheels. It's not perfect but everything is level and square at least.

IMG-0530.JPG

It's fairly light at the moment, so even with the wheels locked it slides around on the floor a bit, but hopefully once the top is on and I've filled it with tools that should give it some more weight and it won't be an issue.

Now just waiting for the plywood to arrive so I can get started on the shelf and the torsion box top.

Attachments

• IMG-0530.JPG
    IMG-0530.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,007
Looking good there Pax, keep the updates coming!

FYI B&Q will cut up a sheet of plywood into bits you can get in the car free of charge, I use this service all the time as I've only got a Focus myself.

Will

For me this is a great thread. My workshop is due to be completed this week so I can start to move my gear in. However my first project will be a movable workbench using spare wood from the build and I am looking for ideas and inspiration.

One question I have, I would prefer to have retractable casters so the table sits on the floor when in use. Has anyone used this type of arrangement and if so where did you source your casters?

Thanks and I am enjoying learning (but will no double have many a set back).

will1983":1c0e129l said:
Looking good there Pax, keep the updates coming!

FYI B&Q will cut up a sheet of plywood into bits you can get in the car free of charge, I use this service all the time as I've only got a Focus myself.

Will

Thanks Will, it's getting there slowly. Nothing special but I'm happy with it as a first project.

I did think about going to B&Q and getting them to cut it down for me, I've just had a few people warn me about the plywood from big box stores as the quality is apparently pretty dodgy...

I’ve never bought sheet material from b&q, but was in there at the behest of SHMBO earlier this year so had a nose around. The MDF was Medite and at pretty good prices, easily as good as the timber merchant I generally use. I’m no expert, but have always been happy enough with Medite. The WBP ply looked very fair to my eyes, I’d be happy trying it. The shuttering ply was just as you’d expect, rough rubbish fit for roof decking & concrete. The marine was probably at least b/bb, again it looked just fine. One thing I would say is the prices were all over the place, some good some terrible. I don’t know if b&q have upped their game, but I’d be happy using what they stock.

Back