Drinking vessel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnicycleBloke

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first post in an age. Not been doing much turning lately, but was flattered to be given a small commission by my neighbour. She has joined a medieval re-enactment group, and asked me for a bowl and a cup which she could actually use for eating and drinking. She specified that there be no finish.

I made a simple cup last night out of hornbeam, and then put some water in it. Crack! So my question is what would be a suitable and reasonably authentic finish that would prevent splitting? Melt beeswax into it? Oil? Tallow (goes well with ale - not)? The cup was about 5mm thick: would thicker walls do the trick? Should it be end grain along the axis?

I already used the hornbeam to make her a bowl, which I was very pleased with. I don't like the thought of it breaking on its first use.

Cheers.

Al

The traditional wood for medievel drinking bowls was maple and they were like a fairly large bowl with a wide foot, as per this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazer_%28d ... _vessel%29 .

Also, if you google Mazer History and click on the heading 'Mazer History', it's the 3rd one down on my search, there's some more info on the history there. I was asked if I could make 40 !!!!!!!!! But I just could not get the wood and it died a death #-o #-o #-o I made 2 examples and finished them is Chestnut hard wax oil and I made them about 6" diameter. This is one of them in elm.

IMG_3287.jpg

Back