Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Doug B
Ironically my public liability insurance requires a 1/2 hour, 2 hour & 4 hour fire check so any hot works needs to be done in the morning to conform, that is if I don't want a late night on site.
By Jimson
Thanks for the post and advice. I persevered with a plane iron and got a fairly good result, even if it took me about two/three hours on coarse 3m and w/d paper. I've been surprised by how much graft it takes. Putting a blue marker line on the developing bevel helps, I found, gives you a bit of encouragement that progress, however slow, is being made.
By rafezetter
Jimson wrote:I do, and it's my first post. Perhaps I don't get the joke yet ...

Anyway, if anyone can help - I want to re-grind the primary angles on some bevel edged chisels and a couple of plane irons to 25 degrees. I haven't been able to do it myself even with the coarsest papers and have made a bit of a mess of them. There's a local service which will do them using a surface grinder. Is this likely to overheat and damage the steel in the chisels and plane irons? The man at the shop said he would do it without taking much off and so thought he could do them without damage, but I'm not so sure. Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks.

He only THOUGHT he could do them without damage?

nope.

Learning how is the only way, it also gives you a bit more appreciation in using the chisels, so you're just that bit more careful, because you'll know how long it'll take you to fix any dinks in the edge :)
By rafezetter
OK so - I've a sharpening question I've been sitting on for a while, unsure if it was safe to ask, but seems the coast (so far) is clear, so here goes.

During the recent(ish) prepartions for the Christmas dinner for six I found I was struggling somewhat, therefore hopefully one of you can help....

What angle and type of bevel - single or double - would you recommend for my old potato peeler?
By Lonsdale73
My question would be "Does anyone want to buy my spare, brand new, still boxed and completely unused 10" wetstone so I have some cash to buy the jigs needed to use safely and accurately the machine I bought to sharpen my chisels and gouges? Please."
By MikeG.
rafezetter wrote:.......What...... would you recommend for my old potato peeler?

Bin it. Then go out to the garden and get the biggest snail you can find. Discard the squishy bit, and dry the shell thoroughly. You may even contemplate giving it a wash. Punch a hole in the side maybe about 15mm in diameter using a sharp piece of flint. Rub said hole across the outside of your potatoes and carrots and ......lo............they shall be peeled.
By Pete Maddex
powertools wrote:
Pete Maddex wrote:
Jimson wrote:I do, and it's my first post. Perhaps I don't get the joke yet ...

Anyway, if anyone can help - I want to re-grind the primary angles on some bevel edged chisels and a couple of plane irons to 25 degrees. I haven't been able to do it myself even with the coarsest papers and have made a bit of a mess of them. There's a local service which will do them using a surface grinder. Is this likely to overheat and damage the steel in the chisels and plane irons? The man at the shop said he would do it without taking much off and so thought he could do them without damage, but I'm not so sure. Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks.

Get the coarsest paper you can find stretch it tight I use clamps to clamp it down and others to pull the clamps apart.
Stick the blade in a honing guide and have at it, check the temprature of the blade as you can build up some heat
This is my set up used for cleaning shoulder plane sides but it works for blades.
ImageDSC_0054 by pete maddex, on Flickr

Pete

All due respect to you for posting a photo of your bench that is in the same state that most of us have.

Most people don't have a Fobco bench drill hiding under the right hand side of their bench.
:shock: :wink:
Pete
By Rich C
rafezetter wrote:OK so - I've a sharpening question I've been sitting on for a while, unsure if it was safe to ask, but seems the coast (so far) is clear, so here goes.

During the recent(ish) prepartions for the Christmas dinner for six I found I was struggling somewhat, therefore hopefully one of you can help....

What angle and type of bevel - single or double - would you recommend for my old potato peeler?

Get a speed peeler. You won't go back.
By Trevanion
Rich C wrote:Get a speed peeler. You won't go back.

I know, but the cost of maintaining a child is extortionate.
By Trainee neophyte
rafezetter wrote:OK so - I've a sharpening question I've been sitting on for a while, unsure if it was safe to ask, but seems the coast (so far) is clear, so here goes.

I have been paying close attention to all this, and I think I know the answer: it doesn't matter what angle you use, but you MUST sharpen freehand, and it is very important to dip your hand on each stroke. And don't forget the pot of paint on the potato whilst you are peeling to hold it in place.