Do you wear protection ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hickorystick

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm now of an age where I want to avoid heavy breathing !
I've searched the forum for recent posts but didn't find any and thought as things change I would ask for up to date feedback.
The subject is respirators... :wink:

I want a comfortable mask, preferably with filters that can be changed rather the whole thing being disposable.
A half mask and goggles is what I'm thinking.
I wear glasses for working and I will wear goggles over the glasses.
Also - I've read varying reviews of the Trend kit with the main point being the weight and the buzzing of the motor ?
Opinions anyone ?

Phil

Phil

There is a lot to choose from out there and picking the right one can be daunting.

Myself I use the Trend Air Ace, this is the only one I've tried that doesn't fog up my glasses. I understand that £M do some good ones with screen filters, I've not experienced these so I can't comment.

As for use, I only tend to use mine when I'm on the lathe, for the likes of sanding I have very good dust extraction with Festool Vac's.
If you don't already have one installed, I would recommend an air filtration machine, not very expensive and does clean up there air in the shop.

I'm sure others will be along with other suggestions.

I have a 3M 6700 mask, it's great. Also doubles as eye protection that doesn't fog over.

When using electric tools I use

a 3M 6000 half mask with P3 filters.
goggles over my glasses
ear defenders

overalls, apron, gloves, hat (mostly for warmth)

Another vote for the Trend. I have the first version and the weight doesn't bother me although I believe the latest model is ever so slightly heavier. I also use mine when on the lathe but also often use it when routing too.

I have no experience of other makes.

It would be useful to find a shop that stocks several makes so you could try them before buying.

regards

Brian

Yes, for sanding MDF and paint/primer/finishes I use the 3m "bug masks" (6000 series not sure which one of the range).
On wood I use just a general purpose dust mask, throwaway type. But I do have a 6" wall mounted extractor fan that vents to outside that is very effective, and that's on pretty much full time when I'm in the shed.
I have a full face airfed for spray painting but I did use it a year or so ago when I did my my daughters bedroom furniture which was all MDF, to be honest if it wasn't for the hose and the hassle that brings I'd probably wear it a lot more often. I can see the appeal of the Trend.
At the lathe I wear a full face visor and one of the through away's. I've got a small bagged type extractor, it gets the big stuff quite well but the small ( problem/dangerous dust ) just gets recircluated, but hopefully the wall extractor deals with a lot of that.
Ironic really but I'm doing more damage to myself every hour or so thanks to our old friend (said tongue in cheek) Nicotine :lol:

I have the Trend Airshield - use it mainly for sanding, on and off the lathe, but it's also very useful when sweeping-up the workshop.

Right.....I've got 2....the Trend airshield pro for scary turnings that might fly off and hit me. But for most everything else I use the 3M 7500 half mask....specifically with the P3 filters only NOT the big bulky, heavy VOC filter packs that make your skull change shape they're so heavy. The P3 filters will deal with sub 5 micron dust ie the dangerous stuff like MDF and sanding anything and they're as light as a feather. The 7500 series exhausts downwards which is a great little design feature because it doesn't steam up any eye wear with condensation and its a mere £25 or so to buy (not including filters which are ludicrously expensive).

I get through about 1 pair of P3's every 3 months or so and I turn and sand a lot.
Its brilliant and I highly recommend it. I did have for many years the 3M earlier series masks in the 6000 range and they were like sitting in a bath of Nitric acid compared to this one.

I'm using 3M 7500 series with P2 dust filter + 3M 2890 googles. Pretty happy with dust mask, it's much more comfortable than i've expected. Heavily recommended. But googles always get foggy with or without mask.

:( i was to say the least slightly disapointed when i got past the breathing heavily bit. Its a good job i read further otherwise i mau have posted a slightly different reply . . . . . :roll:

:Thanks everyone.
Think I'll try a 3M 7500 with P3 - seems to be well thought of.
Sorry Simon - wasn't as exciting a post as you thought ! :wink:
Got people reading it tho !
:D

If you can, test 7501 7502 and 7503 with a clean shaved face. Mask should fit to your face for proper protection. I had to buy online, luckily medium size 7502 fits to my face. Still i made a a quick fit check whenever i wear the mask.

Latest posts

Back