Coloured pencil bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mal

Established Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Youtube, I thought I'd give one a go.

Many hours later, I'm at this stage. Really tough on the tools for some reason, have to sharpen every other cut it seems!
We'll see how it turns out eventually :roll:

P1060363_zpshyh78qav.jpg

P1060362_zpsplsqv95j.jpg

Certainly not the simplest thing I've ever tried :)

SWINE!!!!!

I wanted to show mine first!

:p

Seriously though, very nice job - I only hope mine comes out that well...

...one thing - doesn't this take a lot of pencils!?

:D

I see you have used the pencils horizontally for the base, this looks great as I have only seen vertical layout all the way through the cross section.

What finish will you use?

How did you overcome the colour-smearing (because I see none in that bowl, it's gorgeous).

Thanks all for the kind comments, I have only been turning for about a year and this is the most challenging project so far!
The bowl is only 5'' dia and 1'' high, but took about 120-ish pencils I think and quite a bit of CA glue!
I thought I'd blown it at one stage, as I don't think I cut the rebate on the base deep enough, and as I was hollowing out the middle, I had a catch, and the bowl lost contact with the chuck and broke the walls of the rebate.
Hence gluing it on some scrap, to enable me to finish hollowing. I had to buy some bowl reversing jaws at Yandles last weekend, so I can hopefully finish the bottom. This bowl is costing me a fortune!! :)
As for the finish, I found that sanding a quite a high speed works better than normal, slower speeds tend to drag the colours, leaving out the black ones helps! I was thinking of a Woodwax 22 final finish, to hopefully bring out the colours?
Quite a journey for me, and not one I'll rush to repeat ( just haven't got the spare time :))

Only issue with the wax where there are pores (such as burrs and I guess this), is that it dries white over time where it collects in the pores and looks naff. I'd suggest finishing oil build up with several layers or for quick decrotave finish a Matt or gloss acrylic lacquer.

Great project btw.

Simon

Not my sort of I'm afraid though that's only me :lol: so just ignore that bit...... :D

I just wanted to say, what a fantastic demonstration of grain direction in a cross-grain bowl! It took me quite a while to get my head around it but had I seen this early on....well.....it couldn;t have been explained any better!

Back