Cheap chinese wooden block plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Anybody got one of these?

I took a punt on one as a bit of a fun project, I thought at the very least I could use the blade to make a flush trim plane. Now it's arrived though I quite like it. Body was a rough but 5 minutes with some sandpaper and a bit of BLO and wax and now it's silky smooth and very pretty grain. The blade arrived sharp and took just a few minutes to flatten the back and put an even nicer edge on it. Once I got the adjustment right (never used a wooden plane before) it took a lovely shavings with very little effort.
Not sure what to do now, might just keep it as a little block plane not that I need one lol, maybe I will make a mini scrub plane or a put a v-groove in the bottom and make a chamfer plane. Or I may just buy 2 more to do that with, they are cheap enough, cost me under £3 delivered!

s-l1600.jpg

Looks like a woodwell tools product (mujingfang), but may be a copy. I've got one of their planes, but none of the really little ones.

For the price that they charge for planes (if you don't get them from an overly-optimistic retailer), a couple of minutes of work to finish them off, and you've got something really good.

They used to make large ebony planes with high speed steel irons for about 50 bucks, but their supply of ebony has run thin, so they are now shungee rosewood or something similar, like that one.

I think it's a good little piece for the money. I rarely come across wooden planes at our local car boots and when I do they are either asking silly money for them or they are broken or missing parts like blades or wedges.

Considering the cost I am tempted to buy a few and make them into special purpose blades, it would be so easy to re-shape the blade and sole into concave/convex or V-groove as I mentioned before.

I ordered one of these after they were plugged here in a previous thread with a link helpfully provided to the ebay seller. I say I ordered because I received just the body and wedge. The bloody iron is the sole reason I ordered the damned thing! I tried to get them to send just an iron but they said they didn't come separately. Okay fair enough so refund then. Was not at all impressed when instead of a full refund being offered they tried to haggle... on a £3 item they probably have a >200% margin on!

Oh yeah the chinese sellers always try to haggle when there is a problem. Now sometimes that is in my favour, some minor niggle that I can fix or the colour is not what was quoted but didn't bother me and I can save a couple of quid. If there is a major problem like yours though stick to your guns and you will get the refund in the end.

they are cheap enough, cost me under £3 delivered

Where from please Chris??!! I did the usual search and got drowned in 'antique' and vintage stuff; no sign of anything from our former colony..... :-" I also tried the website mentioned in the link above and got the U.S. Dept. of Justice tramping all over my screen. :eek:

Given that I am not digitally literate, this is no surprise, but I'd love to have a wee play (thrice) for under a tenner!

Merry Christmas to you!

Sam

P.S. That bandsaw blade is being shortened - slightly - professionally for me just after Christmas; favour payback. I lOVE bartering....S.

Ebay, search block plane and then sort by price, you will find then starting at £3 or just under and then they go up from there.

I've got one of these planes. The wood is soft, it's been stained a dark colour, the actual wood is light brown, and it's crudely made. The cross pin and the bed is not parallel to each other. The blade is good and takes a sharp edge. It's branded "Mudingfang" (with a d) with the same style label as "Mujingfang" (with j) planes.

I thinks it's based on this:

http://www.mujingfang.com/t/eng/itemdet ... +Planes%27

Little update on this. My wedge pin was also not parallel as another poster mentioned. It made seating the blade a little more difficult as it needed more pressure to hold, solved the issue with a couple of swipes with my other block plan on the wedge and then a quick rub on a sanding block. It now seats evenly across the wedge and works much better.

I've got their smallest plane. 3 of them actually. Perfect for shaving guitar braces, etc.

One plane cracked the second time I was using it when I tapped the wedge. But at this price I can't complain.

Back