At The Going Down of The Sun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my tribute to all those that gave so much from all around the world.
I named it "At The Going Down of The Sun" because of the lines of the verse as well as the soldier silhouetted against the setting sun I then added some poppies for that little extra way of remembering the fallen.

Made from Field maple and then sprayed using an airbrush and finished with an acrylic gloss varnish. It stands 8 3/4" and is 3 1/4" at the widest point

C and C welcome

DSCF0683 (566x800).jpg

DSCF0685 (565x800).jpg

DSCF0686 (566x800).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0683 (566x800).jpg
    DSCF0683 (566x800).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 697
  • DSCF0685 (565x800).jpg
    DSCF0685 (565x800).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 697
  • DSCF0686 (566x800).jpg
    DSCF0686 (566x800).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 697
I don't normally comment on these because I have little useful comment to add, but wow!

As already remarked elsewhere, "A tribute to others deserving of tribute in itself".

Thank you all. I have been working on this for nearly a week as the decoration was originally going to be flames but two days ago I decided to rub it back and go with this design.
The inside and bottom I have left natural wood so people can see the material that this piece is made from

Nice piece.
Would be worth sending a photo to British Legion https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/ may get in to their internal publicity OR they may take the opportunity to make in regional or national news.

And if you wanted to offer it for an auction

Brian

Thank you all.

I have already been approached by someone who would like to buy it but had to refuse them as it has the Royal British Legion poppy sysmols on it instead I will be donating this piece to the RBL local branch after Saturday as I made this also as a competition piece

Congrats on getting the WOW( World of Woodturners) Cover Photo of the day - well deserved.

Brian

finneyb":2x8ox48i said:
Congrats on getting the WOW( World of Woodturners) Cover Photo of the day - well deserved.

Brian

Thank you just been there and had a look so pleased with the result

cover photo of the day.JPG

Attachments

• cover photo of the day.JPG
    cover photo of the day.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 486
only wish I could make something half as moving.
What a show of skill and craftsmanship.

Love that but can't help thinking that it needed only the one poppy at the front ... less is more & all that. :)

Latest posts

Back