Anyone Recognizes this Router/trimmer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking to buy one of those cheap makita replicas ( the Katsu ones which are supposedely very good and are 1:1 copy of the makita ). However the model everyone is suggesting is out of stock at the moment and I found another similar router made by same Katsu and it's even cheaper, can get it for just £25 from amazon which just seems like a crazy price for this type of router.

this is the model: 101109 Katsu , can be found on ebay/amazon

I suspect they have just done another knock-off and was maybe wondering if anyone recognizes what it could possibly be? £25 is still a money so don't want to waste it if it's junk, However I wanted to try my hand and making some shelves and want to finish them off nicely so I think even a cheap one for this would be ok?

I was just posting the link, I have no idea about it, but I do have the other knock off Makita and very good it is too.

Mike

I got one of these a few months ago as it seemed "good value". it actually feels quote good quality and performs really well. I would certainly recommend it for light / casual work...(NB it may be fine for heavier work but I only use it very occasionally).

I got this version:

s-l300.jpg

It's really good so far, very impressed! I got mine from Aim tools along with a tilt base as it looked useful

It's not out of stock on ebay or their own aimtools site either?

When my Makita trimmer motor burnt out I bought the Katsu version and have to say that it is more than a match. The only differences are the position of the speed control wheel and a rather better finish to the castings on the supplied base. It is a cracking little tool.

It is much cheaper to buy direct from Aim Tools. I bought the plunge base for £22 and the tilt base for £9.54. Both items are excellent, very well made and at a fraction of the Makita prices. They fit my burnt out Makita trimmer perfectly so the dimensions of the Katsu trimmer and its accessories are identical should you just wish to purchase the bases for your Makita.

Simou1":1zjh9lfg said:
When my Makita trimmer motor burnt out I bought the Katsu version and have to say that it is more than a match. The only differences are the position of the speed control wheel and a rather better finish to the castings on the supplied base. It is a cracking little tool.

It is much cheaper to buy direct from Aim Tools. I bought the plunge base for £22 and the tilt base for £9.54. Both items are excellent, very well made and at a fraction of the Makita prices. They fit my burnt out Makita trimmer perfectly so the dimensions of the Katsu trimmer and its accessories are identical should you just wish to purchase the bases for your Makita.

thanks mate, however I'm not able to find it even for sale on their website, I found only the 110v version there which is considerably cheaper there than on amazon indeed.
However I'm not able to find a 240v there, maybe because it's out of stock for them?

but those are not Katsu... :roll:
Similar clone yes, there are like 3-4 more brands which make tools like that but I wanted the katsu one.

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long with aimtools, I thought I'd procrastinated too long when they went out of stock a few weeks ago, but they soon came back in stock so I bought three for Christmas [one for me, 2 for presents].

MrDavidRoberts":2qpwiv2g said:
but those are not Katsu... :roll:
Similar clone yes, there are like 3-4 more brands which make tools like that but I wanted the katsu one.

But clones of the same thing. (hammer)

Mike

Simou1":30yilvl9 said:

How does the noise compare, particularly at low speed? Strange question, but I was planning on using one with an X-Carve so it would be good if it was equal to the Makita in this way.

I was going to get the Katsu and the Makita and send the Makita back if it was about the same...

Difficult to measure noise but not noticeably quieter or louder. The little Katsu is a smooth operator, powerful enough as long as you do not attempt to take too much off and very controllable thanks to the soft start. if ithere was a blind test twixt the two I would have picked the Katsu for the position of the speed control but to be honest there is little difference....apart from a £70 ish saving.

Back