Anyone Recognizes this Router/trimmer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says 6mm and 8mm collet, I assume it means 1/4" and 8mm? The ones on eBay say 1/4" and 3/8" …again I'm assuming the 3/8 is 8mm?

There are metric sizes of cutters, too. It's not impossible the manufacturer has over estimated demand, and is selling off unwanted kits.

The question is whether it's a close enough copy to be able to get the collets you want as parts. If so you may be fine, and able to take advantage of rare shank cutters being cheaper sometimes.

The "close-enough-fit" ones can damage shanks so not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Cold war rules: trust--and verify.

Yep that's why I asked, to verify! I have 1/4" cutters and one or two 8mm but I've not seen 3/8" or 6mm anywhere for sale

Aimtools sell both Imperial and Metric collets.

http://www.aimtools.co.uk/3pcs-set-trim ... chuck.html

I would strongly advise using a 1/4" collet with a 1/4" cutter. 6mm is not 1/4" and as these revolve at 12000 rpm in close proximity to your knadgers it would likely spoil your day should one go AWOL!

Dont forget the plunge base and the tilting base on the Aimtools website under spare parts. Cheap as chips (compared to the Makita originals) and rather good.

Already received the katsu trimmer,however Now have to order some router bits before I can test it out.
here's my quick review from playing with it a bit,

-It certainly looks like a makita unit,however If it would be an actual makita unit I would send it straight back because it certianly isn't what you would expect from makita quality ;)
-the router itself has a nice weight to it, and the castings etc looks good, when it's not under load it's rather quiet as well.
however..
-If you have turned it to max speed once you start it, you get a bit of a shake/kickback - could easily damage some piece or much worse if you aren't careful with it, but than again it's a router and you SHOULD be careful with one.
-the accessory quality leaves a lot to be desired, one of the guides is already wonky/bent/not properly made already from factory so I will have to ask for a replacement for that part.
-the on/off switch has a bit weird design on it, so you aren't really able to turn it on/off without looking twice at it.
-the speed adjustment wheel on mine is clearly super wonky and is mis-aligned from factory (again poor or no quality control)
-It has got no power cut-off protection, again have to be careful with it in case of power-cut off.
-the dust extraction plastic feels really wobbly once its screwed down,hopefully won't give any problems.
-rather short lead
-plastic moulded parts aren't finished to high standard, so you have to peel off some of the flakes thats remaining from the process yourself.
-if you look closely the insides of it aren't really well protected from dust that might get inside in it.

These are just few things you can see right away when taking it outside of box, and I think I will be using this without any of the guides/accessories supplied as they aren't of good quality, the router itself without actually using looks rather ok and certainly worth the £28+ shipping it costs if you just want to use it very rarely, would I pay the £45 they ask for one on amazon? probably not..
I guess I will leave a follow up review on this once I get some router bits that fits this and test it out properly.

So far for the price I think it's good, but don't go out ordering one thinking you are going to get the same makita quality-because you are not ;)
101748-0_2.jpg

-

technium":rcrfwtos said:
Just a heads up, someone has these currently on ebay for £10 so might be worth a punt because if they dont turn up you can always raise a claim with paypal -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182507684403? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Don't do it! It's a scam, I fell for one few months ago at some 20pounds, although the account had like 60feedbacks and didn't looked as fishy..
You can buy it from aimtools website for like 28pounds delivered.

Latest posts

Back