Another Workshop tour.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally got my workshop sorted out so thought I'd post a few pics. I got the unit in July but due to also moving house at the same time and other priorities, it became a dumping ground with no space to do anything. The unit is 360 sq ft - 12ft x 30ft and is in an old poultry shed. I've managed to insulate external walls with a mixture of celotex and polystyrene and the ceiling with airtec double insulation (from screwfix). It seems to work as I got the temp up from 11C to 16C in 1 hour with the gas heater and it stayed at around that all day.

DSC00039.jpg

There are double doors into the unit and I built storage for boards next to the door. I decided in the end to have them stored on their long edge as I wanted to store timber above them. I've not decided where to store the clamps permenantly so for now they are hanging on the side of the sheet storage unit. For the time being I've put my router table behind the table saw as it is almost exactly the same height and can thus be used as an outfeed table.

DSC00036.jpg

Behind the board storage I built some racking for timber storage based loosely on a design that I saw on the Fine Woodworking website. It is made from 4x2 uprights with 2x2 supports. The whole lot is both glued and nailed and is very solid. The empty area at the bottom is for a load of mahogany that I brought back from Togo and is currently stored elsewhere. On the left of the photo is a homemade drying rack - the support arms are pieces of pvc conduit that are a push fit into holes drilled into the wooden upright. It isn't quite as rigid as I'd like but it does the job.

DSC00035.jpg

To the left of the table saw is parked the p/t and dust extractor. Opposite the entrance door is a bench for sharpening - I've also fitted my metal working vice to hold the worktop down! I don't use the mortiser that much so it is fitted to a board with a piece of 2x2 underneath which enables it to be held in the bench vice when required.

DSC00038-1.jpg

The far end of the workshop has my bench which also came back from Togo and to the left a startrite 301 bandsaw and a fobco pillar drill.
There are still a few things to do - at present there is only one double socket and I also have a sink that I will fit in the corner where the festool extractor is plus trying to insulate the stud wall - but for now at least the area is usable.

Thanks for looking

Steve

Mike Garnham":2xczez5q said:
Very nice Steve. Are you left handed?

Mike

The vice is on the right because when I build the bench I didn't know any different and where I planned to put the bench it seemed like the best place. I've actually got a 52 1/2 that I bought off a forum member on t'other side and when I get round to fitting it, I intend fitting it on the left hand end. I now realise why it is more practical for someone right handed to have the vice on the left for planing.

Cheers,

Steve

Doctor":1ecistt4 said:
Mike Garnham":1ecistt4 said:

Mike

are you a detective?

No he's an architect. Some might say that means he doesn't know know his left from his right, but that's probably unfair.

Very tidy Steve.

What sort of stuff will you be making in there - something of fairly compact dimensions I presume?

Ed

EdSutton":3gms7jg7 said:
Very tidy Steve.

What sort of stuff will you be making in there - something of fairly compact dimensions I presume?

Ed

Hi Ed. Alcove cupboards / shelving - the normal sort of fitted furniture. I've also done some free-standing furniture for customers in a much smaller area than this. As I'm not a joiner by trade, I don't plan on getting into making staircases or windows - a neighbouring unit does this sort of work. For the build in stuff, I try and persuade all my customers to have veneered / solid timber which I can hand finish (hard wax oil usually) rather than painted mdf as I'm not set up to do spraying on a regular basis although I will do the odd piece if necessary.

Steve

Nice setup Steve. I keep meaning to look up those seats you brought along to the GSB. What were they called again?

Jake":2tdxb4a0 said:
Doctor":2tdxb4a0 said:
Mike Garnham":2tdxb4a0 said:

Mike

are you a detective?

No he's an architect. Some might say that means he doesn't know know his left from his right, but that's probably unfair.

If I was an ordinary architect, some might be tempted to say that. However, I came to architecture from being a self-builder then a developer.........I'm at the practical end of the scale of architects, and do know left from right. As a right hander, I spotted the unorthodox vice position and deduced (erroneously) a cack-hander amongst us.

Mike

wizer":35k5w42j said:
Nice setup Steve. I keep meaning to look up those seats you brought along to the GSB. What were they called again?

Hi Tom,

If you google 'Chaise à Palabre' and look at the images you will come up with plenty of examples. Traditionally the chair was used by the elders for the village / tribal meetings and at least in congo was designed such that it would fit into a dugout canoe. Nowadays, simple versions are used by night watchmen (which is why you will also see them called Chaise de gardien) as they are able to sleep in them. If you are interested, have a look at this link which shows how they are made. see if you can spot the ingenious use of a truck crankshaft by one of the craftsmen :wink:

Steve

I wonder, have I seen a Hawaiian version of that chair? Looks dead comfy for lounging about outside

promhandicam":yzeisdh6 said:
the ingenious use of a truck crankshaft by one of the craftsmen :wink:

What else would you use as a bench hold down ;)

Thanks for that Steve. I'd been searching for 'Dug Out Chair'. :lol: I think this is definitely something I want to try. Would be a good in road to making chairs, I think. Anyway, my job sheet is full until summer, so I might bug you in the future about dimensions.

Or you could ask me Tom. I have a few........ We know them as Malawi Chairs, but they are ubiquitous throughout Africa.

4077543172_19f2803bea.jpg

Mike

Steve,
Where's the LATHE? ,,,not a proper workshop if it aint got a spinny thing,,,sniff 8-[ 8-[ :-$ :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

John. B

Latest posts

Back