Aces 'n 8's Box WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rileytoolworks

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I thought I better start work on the box today.
I've been playing around with a few forms in Sketchup, but the design is yet to be finalised so I won't reveal it just yet.
What I can say however is that it will be a laminated, veneered box.

So then, this is the stack of veneer for the outside of the box.
veneerstack_zpsfbb924be.jpg

Unfortunately before this stack was purchased it had been mixed up, so I had to play around to see if I could find some sequential pieces, which was easier after trimming a few straight edges
Initialmatch_zps099f91f2.jpg

Unfortunately it looks as though these will be the closest, so I'll go with them for the time being.

The four pieces are labelled A,B,C,D, working clockwise. Then A is folded onto B, and D onto C. Then the pair D/C are folded onto A/B and secure with tape ready to have the long edges shot true.

Here I'm using a solid cast brass plane to shoot the edges. (This plane weighs 6KG!) Because this is pretty wild grain I further shoot the edges with sandpaper on a long stick.
shootingedge_zps2a6e8145.jpg

Once I'm happy with the long edge joints, I'll shoot the short edge.
Here's a shot almost there.
Almostthere_zpsfba6cefd.jpg

As you can see, the NE piece needs a little extra trimming. This is a result of the stack being mixed up. NEVER MIX UP YOUR VENEERS!!! :roll: (I forgot to take a photo of it after shooting that last edge.)

Next I do the same for the veneers for the bottom of the box.

Because these veneers are going to end up curved, I'll glue them to a backer veneer with the grain perpendicular to the long edge.

That's all for now.

Thanks.

Adam.

Thanks. I forgot to say that the veneer on the bottom is going to have to be as close to an exact copy of this as the outside (long) edges will contact each other when the box is closed.

Adam.

If you are going to glue on a backing veneer are you going to glue them together on a curve? could laminating them flat cause a problem when the bending is applied but presumably it is only a slight curve.

Will the joint open when you bend it?

These questions are for my own benefit, not doubting your technique.

Andy

Bit of an update..
After trying for several hours to get satisfactory matches on (what would have been) 16 joints, I have abandoned that particular pack of veneer.
I guess it wasn't such a bargain after all #-o .
I'll have a look through my stock to find something suitable.
I'm guessing at the moment it'll be either Birds Eye Maple or Burr Walnut.

The plan is for an elliptical box, the axes are roughly the dimensions given in the brief.
box_zpsf85ab9cf.jpg

The inside will be veneered in a different timber to the outside, the lift out tray will have to incorporate the dovetail(s).
boxinsertout_zps5923cba7.jpg

I'd like to incorporate some stainless steel into the design, and have the box appear to float.
I'm toying with a French polish finish, though I may end up with a high gloss lacquer depending on the veneer.

Thanks for looking.

Adam.

Racers":e7zu4pdf said:
Hi, Adam

Nice veneer, what wood is it.

Pete

I have no idea Pete. I got it 'cheap' as the leaves were non consecutive. Turns out it has cost me a lot more than I paid!

If you are going to glue on a backing veneer are you going to glue them together on a curve? could laminating them flat cause a problem when the bending is applied but presumably it is only a slight curve.

These questions are for my own benefit, not doubting your technique.

Andy

The veneer will be glued to a backer flat, the idea being that the backer (whose grain is perpendicular to the curve) gives some flexibility to the veneer. It's a process I use all the time on curved panels. As for the curve, it is pretty tight on the small axis.

Will the joint open when you bend it?

Let's hope not!

Adam.

Latest posts

Back