3 phase machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
What would you say would be the cheapest way to get these machines up and running for me to show them working so i can sell them and if i have no interest ill keep them .
I have single phase at the moment and the wadking radial arm saw 3 phase and the dewalt radial arm saw plus my P& j fine filter extractor are all 3 phase . What's your opinion's please if possible point me in the right direction with what i would need and and cost roughly to get these up and running
Alan

The best solution I think would be to buy a Transwave and then sell it when your done. Ther is one on an auction site for £500 buy it now.

Sorry for the poor photo's don't know if you will be able to tell me anything from these but here we are
And i will look into the Transwave but i will go through my options first thank's
Alan

Attachments

• DSCF9455.JPG
    DSCF9455.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 635
  • DSCF9459.JPG
    DSCF9459.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 635
  • DSCF9460.JPG
    DSCF9460.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 635
  • DSCF9456.JPG
    DSCF9456.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 635
  • DSCF9457.JPG
    DSCF9457.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 635
If all you want to do is to check that the motor works and demo to a prospective buyer then a suitably sized VFD for the biggest will do
you will need to wire it into the motor direct bypassing all the control circuit and safety circuits.
a 240v out vfd will run a 415v motor just fine for demo purposes so no need to change star to delta
you should be able to get a suitable vfd for less than a £100

Ian

If you do do this it will run fine but when you stopping slow the motor using the variable frequency control slowly down to say 10hz then stop..if you stop when spinning at 50hz or more you can inject a back emf into the vfd and induce a error message I havent touch wood ever damaged a vfd but possibly could

Can you not take the machines to some one with a 3 phase supply and take a phone video showing them in working order.

Sorry i have been so long answering i have been busy doing other things none woodworking thing's :x anyway i have just come across this for £300 if it's still there Phase converter
7.5 hp phase converter for running 3 phase equipment from a single phase supply Alan

Attachments

• Phase-converter.jpg
    Phase-converter.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 507
The best solution I think would be to buy a Transwave and then sell it when done.
Transwave would it have to be over a certain hp as some are TRANSWAVE Static Converter STC1.1HD 1.5hp/1.1kW Single to 3-phase 240v to 415v and the bigger ones go up to and above
TRANSWAVE Static Converter STC5 - 7.5hp/5.5kW Single to 3-phase 240v to 415v there are so many out there static rotary . :roll:
Alan

Hi,
If you just want to easily demo them then I would say get a static converter like the ones you linked to. Reason being (I stand to be corrected) vfd's need to be wired direct to the motor which means you will have to fiddle around with the wiring which I m guessing you don't want to do?
A static converter means you can wire into the single phase supply you have and plug the 3 phase machines into the output of the converter directly.
If you go this route then you need to bear the following in mind.
- You need a single phase supply that can supply sufficient current - the 5.5HP/4kW Transwave for example needs a 25A supply.
- You need a converter that is rated high enough for the largest motor. What they can supply is less than they draw so the unit above for example is capable of driving a 4HP machine (not 5.5HP)
- There is also a minimum load needed for these machines. The one above is 0.55kW/0.75HP

A rotary converter would probably also be OK (where you drive a motor that is used to generate the 3 phases).

Thank's for the reply .Yes i would like to show the machines working so i can sell the machines .
Alan

Decided to purchase this converter tonight if you have any comments or advice please say now before i purchase it tonight thank's Alan

Attachments

• Phase-converter.jpg
    Phase-converter.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 125
Well first of all i would like to apologise for wasting your time and my own i did not buy the converter thing have been up in the air the last couple of months . Any way i have decided to sell them as they are again so if you are thinking of purchasing anything make me a offer as i will be putting them on e bay shortly Alan
(hammer) (hammer) :oops: :oops: :oops:

Back