14" Wooden Jack.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIGNAL

Established Member
Reaction score
My very recent aquisition:

Not quite as pristine as that picture suggests. No markings on the plane. It obviously saw very little use. In fact I don't think any sort of finish had ever been applied to the plane. It came with a Marples iron (not very accurately made) and an I.Sorby chipbreaker that looked like it was made yesterday. The chipbreaker needed a bit of work, it had a slight twist and the angle of deflection of the shaving was much too steep. That was a relatively quick fix. The blade needs much more work, largely because the chipbreaker won't lie flat at the top of the keyhole section. The blade is effectively introducing another twist on the chipbreaker and it's quite a large one. This is all obviously from the time when British manufacturing sank down into the gutter (otherwise known as the late 60's). Either that or too many of the workforce had discovered what their psychedelic rock star heroes were smoking.
Fortunately I had an I.Sorby blade to go along with it's friend the I.Sorby chipbreaker. This blade obviously made from a time of sobriety.
There was more bad news.

Quite a few end grain cracks, front, back and in the chute of the plane. Yet even more bad news when I looked closely at the sole of the plane: woodworm. It had obviously been stored in damp conditions, which is why the plane felt very furry to the touch. At least the woodworm damage was very shallow and confined to a very small area. Out came the superglue to fill the cracks and the woodworm damage.
After all that it works! but it did take some effort to get there. The Marples blade is going to take a bit of serious filing. It's a good size for rough dimensioning. I don't find the hand cramped at all but then again my hands are probably the size of the next American president. :shock: . . . and no jokes please.

Interesting rift sawn blank. Small checking like that is par for the course over here unless you're lucky enough to have a plane that was just oiled and oiled and waxed and waxed and never subjected to a hot dry area.

Even my jack plane (which was only made last year and stored in a fairly wet area) has a strange check on the sole.

That plane has an interesting combination of design elements - a machine cut handle, and what look like hand cut eyes.

The cracks are certainly largely down to the conditions that it has been kept in. I have a much older CF Johnson 18" Jack that has no checking. Neither has my 22" jointer or any of my coffin planes. The raised grain, the cracks and the woodworm all point to very damp conditions.
I guess it's a late plane, probably towards the end of the 60's. Not the best but neither is it the worst. Of course it functions as well as any other, now that it has been 'tuned'. My larger coffin plane is a Salman 'master', supposedly machine cut. In reality it was part machined part hand finished. It's accurately made that's for sure, very tight mouth and cleanly made abutments. A notch or two above this jack. That too had seen hardly any use although it had obviously been finished and steeped in linseed. This jack was bare wood. There's even a chance that Salman made this jack. I think they were one of the last of the wooden plane makers.

Back