Zyliss or Z vice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Des333

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Zyliss clamping system/vice is still available in the UK?
Read a few reviews and watched a few videos on Youtube and it seems ok and fairly flexible in use but having difficulty in finding a supplier in the UK. There is a version from Australia the Oz Vice but not available over here and pricey. Another is the Benchpro200 and ZVice. Quite a few different names and manufacturers. A used clamp would be fine and some are on the Bay but not sure if they are complete, also the older Zyliss model is apparently better quality than the copies, JML even did one so must be out of copyright. Any information on availability or experience using one of these would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Zyliss are still around but only make kitchen stuff now.
I inherited the clamping system and use it when making my clocks.

Rod

Don't know if this will help but there's a post from member custard about these where he rates it quite highly (which you can take as high praise indeed as he'd be a pretty demanding user). Here's the thread I'm remembering:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/woodworking-bench-vice-but-benchtop-mount.94682/
I think the older ones are the ones worth seeking out. As for ensuring they're complete since you can't always rely on the seller's description you can pick up from online images of the vice installed, the box contents, the accompanying leaflet etc. what should be included so you can make sure yourself prior to buying. There aren't so many parts that you can't learn to spot when something is missing or damaged, which I did on one sold locally to me which was unfortunately missing one of the key parts.

These also show up very occasionally on Gumtree and the prices tend to be better than those on ebay so worth popping in there to have a look every now and then if you want to avoid getting into a bidding war which drives the price up and then have to pay postage on top of that.

I am a big fan of the zyliss vice so much so that l have 4 of them. One i purchased new at the ideal home show one was second hand at a steam fair and the other two were off eBay. They are now longer made in Switzerland and are no longer available new in the UK.
Two of mine are genuine zyliss and two of them are grip master made in China and to be fair there is not much difference between them apart from the standard of finish.
I would recommend anyone to have not one but at least two but not the basic kit but the full kit the difference can be seen on ytube video's and be careful buying off eBay as the prices now seem to have gone through the roof for even the basic kit with parts missing.j

Mine is a 'Swiss Made' one and it has the 'turning centres' with it.

I rarely use it because wherever I clamp it, it always seems to be in the way, so it mostly lives on a shelf. :-(

Good bit of kit though.

Mine is a 'Swiss Made' one and it has the 'turning centres' with it.

I rarely use it because wherever I clamp it, it always seems to be in the way, so it mostly lives on a shelf. :-(

Good bit of kit though.

That is part of there attraction you can use them on any part of your bench or outside on a plank supported on a couple of treasles and put them away when you are finished.

Does anyone know how to differentiate between an original old Zyliss vice a new model?

Back