Zinsser Bullseye 123 - how thick should it be?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krome10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

It's been a year or two since I last used it (and that's how old the can I have is too)... I've just got it out and started to stir it and it is VERY thick. I've added a little water and it hasn't done much.

How thick? Well, if I stand the the stirring stick in the middle of the tin it stays there and doesn't fall to the side. And when I lift the stick out, it has a LOT of paint on it and the paint only slowly comes off slowly. The closest thing I can think of is peanut butter.

STOP PRESS.... I've just thought that I could make a quick video and upload it to Google Drive. I'll get that done then add the link.

For those who use Zinsser 123, is this thicker that it should be? I'm pretty sure it is but don't want to mess it up. If it is, should I just keep adding more water is is there something else that needs to be done?

Many thanks

Max

I don't think Steven Spielberg needs to worry....!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5TOZ ... zFBbFVqMlU

It was tough to film it on my own with my crappy camera, but as you can see, stirring it without a hand to hold the can was pretty useless as the can just moved around because of the thickness of the paint... And what you can't see is that I am using a lot of force to get that stick to move...

I don't know what thickness it was originally as I'm only familiar with the shellac version but no question that's too thick, it needs to be a free-flowing consistency at least.

Water seems the obvious thing to add but water is likely not the only thing that it has lost by evaporation, but it's impossible to know what else might have been lost unless you can get Zinsser to tell you.

After you dilute the remaining product in the tin will probably have a limited lifespan, unless you use distilled water.

That is definitely too thick. Zinsser say the shelf life is two years in an *unopened tin*. Also it should be stored between 5 and 25 degrees Celsius. Perhaps something happened outside of that temperature range.

Can't remember exactly how long I've had it. I should imagine a year or two, but that's with the tin having been opened. Stored inside under the stairs, so would imagine it doesn't too many temperature extremes. Lid definitely air tight. A bit annoying firstly because of the cost but secondly due to the time set back. But never mind.

Thanks for the help.

I see from your other thread that you consider the 123 a goner and are looking at a replacement but try diluting a little of it with water and seeing how it goes, nothing to lose :)

I've recently idea the red and the blue....and they were no where near that thick. More runny than anything.

Hi

Yes, I did try adding some water and had no luck. Someone has pointed me toward this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mkp_p6hYDU

If not watching the whole video, at least watch from 2:40 where the chap is in exactly the same boat as me with a 5 year (gasp) solid tin of 123 which he manages to liberate with the tool being reviewed. I've bought a new can but think I might have to give that a go anyway just to see if it works.

Thanks for all the help :)

That's not dissimilar to the stirring tool I was going to recommend you try if you're having difficulty bringing the two liquids together, although the one I was going to suggest is simply made from a bent hanger :) You can also use a roller, with the roller sleeve and handle removed.

We used something just like this on a small scale to stir old tins of enamel paint (made from paperclips) and it worked a charm, better than 10 minutes of stirring by hand.

Latest posts

Back