Zig Zag Sideboard - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
As an interesting diversion from MDF mangling we've been working on this for the last couple of weeks.

We started with a wicked looking cutter made specially for the job

Image0177.jpg

Then used it to machine a whole load of oak sticks

Image0178.jpg

Then glued them together to make six panels

Image0113.jpg

Two of them were used to clad the ends of a big box

Image0166.jpg

While the other four panels became doors

This shot shows the sliding dovetailed cleats used to keep the doors flat

Image0202.jpg

Image0190.jpg

The hardest part was keeping everything in line

Here it is completed with stainless steel legs attached.

All that remains is to even up the colour differences with a little stain and apply the finish.

Thanks for looking.

Brad

Hi Brad,

I remember your original post asking how would you do it. I think you came up with a good solution!! Looks good. Can't wait to see it with the finish on.

Well done!!

Richard

RussianRouter":iab1ux65 said:
Not the best looking cabinets I've seen,where are you proposing these to be hung?

Why would you hang a cabinet which has legs?

RussianRouter":8ckve7pf said:
Not the best looking cabinets I've seen,where are you proposing these to be hung?

Brad, you should have said that looks cr*p, I'm not making that.

Who cares what it looks like, it paid the workshop rent and put food on the table.

Maybe I got out of bed this morning from a different side.

Great job Brad.

I do like the end result Brad. My only quibble really is that I wish there was a shot of it polished and photographed in a good setting, but no doubt you'll rectify that later.

I think, if I recall correctly, the piece is based on a mass produced item, but I recall the earlier threads on possible construction. I liked the original for its understated simple boxiness lifted by the fixed, straight wave profile in the surface of the wood, and you seem to have managed to replicate that satisfactorily-- a really good photograph of the finished piece could confirm it.

One question. You seem to have veneered board as structural elements inside the cabinet, eg, the base and the vertical dividers: how have you allowed for expansion and contraction of the solid wood end panels and doors. I may be missing something, but I'm curious. Slainte.

Hey spot on Brad! I too remember the original post on this. Looks just like it was intended. Can't wait to see the finished item. :D

I like it. A very different (at least, I've never seen anything quite like it) take. A room decked out with furniture in the same vein would be really cool.

Nice to see this project get built. It's not a design I'd personally go for but I appreciate the work and technical expertise that must have gone into it and I like the technique for keeping the doors flat.

All I can say is I hope they have a cleaner - all those gooves are going make the piece one huge dust magnet :D

Looks very good Brad.

Is the dovetail cleat just a tight fit glued at one end?

I think i may have made the doors as one big panel and cut the door out afterwards so the grain flowed horizontally from door to door.

The stainless steel looks very nice did you have these fabricated or are they off the shelf?

cracking job

cheers

jon

JonnyD":2ayl68rw said:
Looks very good Brad.

Is the dovetail cleat just a tight fit glued at one end?

It is. It was an absolute ba$tard to get in and is very very tight. And there are eight of them :shock: That's a couple of days of my life I'll never get back!

I think i may have made the doors as one big panel and cut the door out afterwards so the grain flowed horizontally from door to door.

That was my original plan; however when glueing up even the most minor discrepancy in flatness became a problem so I ended up cutting the door components to length and glueing the doors up individually. I soon lost the will to mark up dozens of pieces in order so and decided that a 'random' approach was appropriate!

The stainless steel looks very nice did you have these fabricated or are they off the shelf?

Had them made locally. £220 :shock: :shock: :shock:

cracking job

Cheers Jon. Your comments matter.

Brad

Back