Your top hand tool tips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
As I'm starting out, I'm learning a lot from all you lovely folk. But I thought a thread in which everyone chips in a top tip or two might be a good idea. What's my contribution?

When marking out your work, check the wood for knots where you're planning your joints. Make life easier, trust me.

Using a marking knife and chisel to create a "knife wall" prior to hand sawing timber is my tip. :wink:

Tip 1 - A few good quality, carefully selected, tools kept in tip-top condition, with which you practice regularly and become thoroughly familiar, will get more done than thousands of pounds worth of gizmos and gadgets.

Tip 2 - Don't be afraid of making mistakes - it's experience, and with growing experience, fewer mistakes will happen. (Woodworking mistakes rarely kill you, even if they do cost a bit in wood.)

Tip 3 - A practice run using scraps can save expensive project wood when the mistakes happen.

Use candle wax not elbo grease. a rub of wax on a plane or saw will make it work sweeter.

Get a professional to show you how to sharpen. Use only that method for a good period of time- a year plus before looking at alternatives. Otherwise you will end up trying to find the fabled best method, and confused. A method, (any) that you are happy to use regularly will do and you will have nice sharp tools. Any method you have to think long about will dissuade you from using it.

Oh and never mention sharpening methods on a forum. Ever.

Hehehe I'd just typed your response almost word for word marcros.
So instead, I'll suggest that when you've saved up for that first flashy new tool, you spend it instead on some tuition on basic tool renovation, setup and usage.

Easy door hanging:- Insert garden spade tip under door and tread on handle to adjust height. Accurate to a thou'.
Makes for simple hinge screwing.

Keep tools clean and sharp, make sure you have plenty of light, and take plenty of pictures so that you can share them with us!

Toby

doctor Bob":1pn3kx1b said:
hands always go behind a chisel.

a bit late i stupidly sliped with a dog leg chisel and cut the nerves and sliced the tendon in my thumb ouch! all better now tho, this happened at the start of my wood carving days! so ye what bob said :)

You don't have to spend mega money to enjoy woodworking.

A few good books on the topic are a wise investment, a useful source of information, fun to read and a useful guide though the craft.

Practice, make mistakes and practise again, relax and enjoy woodworking.

Keep your tools sharp and work accurately. Use your saws with confidence always cut on the waste side of the line but on the line and did I mention don’t forget to practice. If you want to bring on your skills there are lots of beginners courses around.

Cheers Peter

By the best tools you can afford, for me that usually means buying good classic or vintage and doing a bit of a fettle and keep any eye open for a sale or bargain for premium stuff.

Pick small projects to begin with, small enough so that you can afford to be generous with timber selection so that you can select only the best grain for each component and have spare material to cover you for mistakes.

Back