Your friendly oil rag reminder!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rorschach":rf08hdbi said:
That isn't smoke from superglue, it's vaporised glue from the curing, it does this all the time but you can only see it when it is curing really fast. While theoretically it could cause a fire It would take an awful lot of superglue to generate enough heat for a fire. The good thing is that the cure happens fast when you are mopping it up, so you would be around, the danger of linseed oil is it is unpredictable.

Cheers :) I am still going to buy a fire extinguisher just incase as I generate lots of dust but not sure what type/size would be suitable for my workshop......its approx 50ft x 30ft

Brian

Rorschach":2z9wnchx said:
That isn't smoke from superglue, it's vaporised glue from the curing...
Actually it might be smoke. Superglue reacts with cotton (and presumably most other natural fibres) so vigorously that it can catch on fire. There are some videos on YouTube showing this for anyone interested.

This is more important to know than one might think because cotton is made from cellulose and so is wood, so potentially a large spill of superglue could ignite wood dust and possibly fine shavings.

Chris152":2avam8m9 said:
I didn't realise sawdust could be that volatile either.

Off to empty my dust/ chippings collector and fit a fire alarm now.

I wonder if anyone could write up a brief overview of fire and other hazards in the workshop for beginners like me, as a separate post - I just did a search for 'fire hazards' and lots of hits for particular tools/ scenarios, but maybe a summary of general workshop management? Could even be a sticky in General Woodworking?

I was going to post this some time ago but didn't bother as it wasn't too interesting.
If you have a belt sander, use it for either wood or metal, but not both !
My sander is a generic type with no means of cleaning it out properly.
I thought I would be able to get at it, but was getting choked by the fumes from the melting plastic.
It just kept getting worse and worse as I was trying to dismantle the casing...
Not happening, so it had to be taken off the stand, brought outside and huge holes cut into in the plastic housing to get at the smouldering dust.
I never bolted the sander back on the base since, now it sits 90 degrees on the base so it won't fall over.

I have acquired a bench grinder since :)

Make sure you are able to take the sander off the base if you are making one

Tom

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 19