Your best bargain buy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dewalt orbital sander for £15 which I now use pretty much exclusively for power sanding.

Loads of, and missus usually utters them same comment, "what on earth do you want that for?" If I tell her :lol:

Examples:

Record 5.5 for £1.50 at a boot sale. was covered in muck, grease and grime but a quick clean up with parafin shows decent condition ready to restore when time permits.

16 very old carving chisels inc addis for £20 (70 year old guy selling his fathers' tools

Not woodworking:- but this week bought 8 larchlap fence panels 5ft x 6ft
for £1 each from Homebase! :D

I don't know if this qualifies as 'best' it certainly qualifies as my favourite.

A Stanley 10 1/2 for £5. In non-fettled condition, still with sawdust around the frog. As a rebate plane I used it a couple of times, then I came across you guys and went looking for details.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan2.htm

Yes it has the adjustable mouth, it even has the cracks to the bottom of the knob and the disc spins. The original blade has about 1/8 inch left for sharpening, but fortunately I found a new blade for a 10. By my reckoning made between 1885 - 1895.

Best find, perhaps not. But using it with all that history .... priceless.

xy

metabo pk255 v8 complet kit including delivery was £950 due to a mistake on the dealers website but they honoured it. have had it bout 6 months now and love it

I guess i have to add this one to the list. A record dust collector for free. It came damaged in the post and they allowed me to keep it and refunded my money. Has to be my best deal yet.

woodsworth":1ytzvben said:
I guess i have to add this one to the list. A record dust collector for free. It came damaged in the post and they allowed me to keep it and refunded my money. Has to be my best deal yet.

Your welcome! :twisted:

Mine is a hegner scrollsaw. I think I paid about £45 at an auction. I didn't really want one, but knew Hegner is a quality make. I had missed out on all the other woodworking tools as there were 2 collectors there buying up everything. When I went to collect it I could barely carry it.....and when I got home found out it is the polycut model. I think they are around £1400 new!

Well, not sure you could call it a bargain :shock: , but here we go...
I was round at my in laws a few years ago, when one of their old friends popped in. We got chatting, and it turns out he's a retired engineer. One thing led to another, and before you could say boo to a moose he was in my shed playing with the metal lathe.
Next day, my father in law rang to say that Roy (the old fella) had some stuff for me.
(It turns out his son worked in the West End in set production before moving to the States to work in Hollywood.)
Father in law says Roy's brought around some big lump with 'fingers' on it, and a box of stuff.
Well, I raced around there and was greeted by a Leigh dovetail jig (with cutters), a big Bosch router (forget the model number) and a load of other goodies.
All for free!

Cheers.
Adam.

There was this old boy at work, who was well known for splashing paint everywhere besides what he was meant to be painting. He had his own special pair of paint covered shoes, just for this purpose. When he retired he left them behind. They dont fit me, but when i left that job, i took them with me. There nailed up in the new workshop now. Might find they fit somebody someday. :) There was another chap who retired and left a funny looking oil can behind- never used it, but still reminds me of him.

I dont get many bargains :|

Simon

Norris adjustable smoother...............

Off Freecycle.............

For........

FREE 8) 8) 8)

Well beaten by a non tool sort of thing

1884 Hammonia index typewriter for £8 :shock: :shock: :shock:
FindsMay08030.jpg

Comprotec Timber Check moisture meter £10.50 last week on Ebay. Only looked because there had been a moisture meter thread the week before :D Replaced the broken pins with one of the 2 spare sets supplied and it seems good as new.

Graham

DT - either you were in Russia, not India, or you mean Rupees, not Roubles :lol:

Best buy

DSC00164.jpg

Xcalibur 12" table saw. £700. Not cheap, but definitely £700 well spent.

Cheers

karl[/img]

I probably shouldnt gloat - as my good fortune has resulted from another member giving up the hobby , but i'm going too ;)

anyway my new best buy - recently I bought norman king's remaining tools for the, in his words, "silly" price of £100.

these comprised a kity 613 bandsaw, an axminster drum and belt sander, a router table top,and axminster dove tail jig, and a grinding rest
in itself not a bad days work

however it gets better because i dont need all of it, so ive sold the sander on for £25, and the dove tail jig for £10. Plus Ive sold my little rexon bandsaw which is now surplus for £40.

so what that adds up to is that I have a kity 613 bandsaw, a grinding rest, and a router table top for a net £25 (plus the fuel for driving to kent ansd back) - now thats what i call a bargain !

And i got the sander for £25 pounds off of Bigsoftmoose. £20 for delivering to Broadway where i'll pick it up the next time i visit!

This is more a gratitude post then a gloat. NormanKing Thanks very much. And also a huge thanks for bigsoftmoose for giving me the sander for what he did, he didn't have to sell it for so little. I was well prepared to offer £100 but he messaged me with the £25 before i had a chance.

Back