Yew tv unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked about building a tv unit, only a simple affair, no door or such like, just top, bottom, ends and a shelf.....

Now, the problem i am having, is he wants it to match a yew table i built him years ago (must have been nearly 10 years ago- i feel old!)
That is a big slab of waney edge board about 50mm thick, and ends/legs also just hefty chunks.

A Tv cabinet needs to be 400+mm to allow for dvd player.

Been spending a lot of time at Yandles looking for the ideal bits to no avail. Doesn't seem much nice yew in atm.

We did consider buying numerous bits, and making larger boards, but would need to buy a substantial amount to do so. I Imagine there would be an issue with adhesives for making panels up? If we do use that route, whats the best way to make them up?

I have decent router and basic cutters, but no jointer or machinery as such. I take a guess, carefully plane edges and t+g the planks, then glue up with a pu adhesive?

A little closer to home would be Interesting Timbers. I've never bought any yew from them but it may be worth a call to see what they've got. They usually stock a fair amount of wood; some ridiculously-wide boards, as well! :wink:

Not too far from them is Charltons World of Wood, also. They're in Radstock, but don't seem to have a website (Google them for details). Another supplier of native woods though, I've never used them myself.

There's also Valley Sawmills in Frome.

Hitch,

I was at Yandles yesterday (Wednesday) and they had a good stock of yew including two wide pieces, so it might be worth giving them a ring.

Jack (W)

Yew is great stuff, but be wary that you buy something that's dry enough to be used indoors as it's prone to splitting.
If you were to buy a couple of boards that had been conditioned outside, I'd dry them out a bit more in a moderately cool to warm environment for a couple of months before use in the 'shop - Rob

The job is one of thoose 'When you have time' type ones, so no imediate hurry.
I think we will have to check out the other suppliers when we can get together.

Yandles was the most convenient, me mate lives about 5 mins away :lol:
Cheers for the help.

There's a chap who I bought my Graduate from on Ebay who had some very nice planks of Yew but was asking for a little bit too much for them in the situation. If they'd been in a yard for that price it would have been an OK price but we passed on them. Bit of a shame as they had some very nice figure and I'd have made some pretty special bowls out of but as we'd just bought a lathe and it was getting late we were not ready to drop another 50-100 on wood.

Don't know if you want to have a look, but in case you do: Mike. By the way forget about the concept of negotiation, it didn't seem to apply.

Good luck.

Miles

Latest posts

Back