Yet More MDF Mangling...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished fitting a kitchen; here's the dresser being made in the workshop to give you an idea of how it's all put together...

HarrysKitchen013.jpg

And here's the finished kitchen...

HarrysKitchen017.jpg

HarrysKitchen018.jpg

HarrysKitchen020.jpg

HarrysKitchen021.jpg

HarrysKitchen022.jpg

HarrysKitchen023.jpg

HarrysKitchen025.jpg

Cheers
Brad

Mcluma":39rz3cdz said:
Dibs-h":39rz3cdz said:
Very nice!

How did you do the rounded corners\sides?

Cheers

Dibs

Would be interesting to know indeed

The curved sides can't be MDF.

MDF wouldn't bend in its normal form. You'd be forced to make relief cuts on one side - the same as that bendy mdf that's available. I've seen it in relatively thin sheets.

Using a former - you'd lay one sheet (1/2 the final thickness) on the former, relief cuts facing you, then glue to it another sheet, with the normal face upwards. Leaves the issue of the voids.

However you could do a lot easier laminating thin'ish sheets of ply - even easier if you have a vacuum press. Or perhaps using ply as the main substrate and bonding a very thin sheet of the bendy MDF, if you're after a better finished surface.

Be interesting to see what\how Brad has done it.

Dibs

Hi,

I think its solid, a couple of thinknesses laminated then profiled, the insides look flat.

Pete

Racers":kk5se0wc said:
Hi,

I think its solid, a couple of thinknesses laminated then profiled, the insides look flat.

Pete

Could be - just looked over the photos again, the color doesn't help trying to figure out whether the insides are curved or flat. :?

Nice work Brad.

I take it the bottom doors are shaker with a moulded bead applied afterwards?

I'd also be interested in how you made the curved end panels/sections.

Cheers

Karl

Racers":1uz1f70u said:
Hi,

Pete

Just zoomed in on one of the pictures - and I believe you are right - the inside certainly looks flat to me. No shadow lines or anything to indicate a curve on the side.

If it's all one mass - a 4" (or so it looks) slab of mdf - that would be some weight!

I wonder whether some sort of composite construction has been used, i.e. mainly hollow where the inside face and outside face are parallel, but as the curve starts, it goes solid to allow the shaping, but there's reasonable overlap to give some sort of integrity.

Dibs

Looking a bit more closely at the first picture...

5526779155_3a5186e464.jpg

...it looks to me like the curve's made from five pieces of MDF - full-depth 'skin' on the outside layers presumably, and the three centre pieces probably just deep enough to make the curve. Assuming it's 18mm sheet then the whole piece is ~90mm thick, so I'd be interested in how how you make a consistent radius of that size too ;)

Perhaps it's e.g. a very large cutter in a spindle moulder - in which case you could probably make up 8' sections of this quite easily given time, space, incentive etc.. etc.. That's my guess, anyway...

Nice job btw Brad.

Pete

p.s. apologies for mangling the pic - had to pump up the USM to get the layers to show clearly.

It's quite simple really.

We glued up 150mm square blocks of MDF 1000mm long and turned them on the lathe to 145mm dia cylinders. We then quartered them on the bandsaw to give quadrant sections a metre long.

The curved end panels were then constructed using a quadrant with flat panels inside and out fixed with dominoes. Lots of 2-pack filler and sanding and Bob's your uncle!

Brad

Nice kitchen Brad. Mind if I ask how many hours, I expect you did it over a weekend!

There's a bit on making rounder corners about this radius using the spindle moulder in my wave kitchen thread, I have just posted new images to it.

Chris

Back